Author Topic: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Discussion  (Read 19377 times)

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Discussion
« on: September 16, 2011, 12:43:09 AM »
Hello, Filmspotting Nation! GothamCity151 is here once again to ride the coattails of movie list making in order to present yet another top 100 list. You know those people you see or hear in a movie? They are called actors, and their job is to deliver what is commonly referred to as a "performance". What am I trying to get at here? Well, I want to find out what the Forum members consider to be the pantheon of movie performances. It will be my job to tabulate and crunch numbers on votes and present to my fellow message boarders the Top 100 Performances Of All Time (According to those who vote). Now, this may sound familiar. Last year, in fact, the first rendition of this list was put together. This time around, we have seen more movies, seen more performances, changed opinions on previous performances, gathered new members, lost old members, and changed residences (well, that doesn't include everyone). The voting process will work the same this time as it did last time. If you are not aware of what to choose from, I'll remind you. Any performance goes. Whether it be male or female, lead or supporting, live action or vocal, they are all in the running. Simply just PM me your list, which does not have to be 100 performances, but I highly encourage that it is. Ranking is very important, so do not just send in a random order. The ranking and corresponding points are identical to that of the Top 100 Movies List. So, let's get cracking on those lists and hopefully I'll get many more submissions than I did last year. Voting will close on Friday, November 4, 2011 at 23:59:59 P.M. (based on your local time). Enjoy list making!

Once again I shall provide some suggestions on places to look in order to get your mind a-rollin':

Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: 2010

Best of the Decade Winners
Best Lead Performance - Female
Best Supporting Performance - Female
Best Lead Performance - Male
Best Supporting Performance - Male

Best Performance Polls Index

Top Performances of the 1950s
Top Performances of the 1960s
Top Performances of the 1970s
Top Performances of the 1980s
Top Performances of the 1990s
Top Performances of the 2000s

But really you should come up with your own lists!

By the way, formatting for submission is as follows:
Al Pacino - Dog Day Afternoon

If for a role in multiple films, it's:
Al Pacino - The Godfather Series
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:46:07 AM by GothamCity151 »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
Re: 2nd Annual Filmspotter's Top 100 Performances: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:42 AM »
I will try to make a list of performances from films I have seen in the past year, which may make the job either MUCH harder or MUCH easier, we'll see. I would expect the number one to go to Paul Newman in The Verdict, so I would be judging against that standard (i.e. astronomically high); followed by the cast of The Friends of Eddie Coyle, just to show my soft sensitive side.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Discussion
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 06:16:10 PM »
I'm happy you're doing this again, Gotham.  Really hope that more people participate this year.  Folks who are/will be busy, just send in a top 5 at least.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:39 PM »
Last year we had directors and books going around the same time (and the first round of docs a bit later) and none of that is happening this year so far as I can tell so it should be a bit more breathing room. I might put a bit more effort into mine this time.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 07:15:14 PM »
yep. last year I didnt have the time to get to this one, so Im starting today so I can get something together.

Shaw13

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:30:13 PM »
I'll get working on this asap.

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 09:00:01 PM »
Looking forward to this.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 03:33:26 AM »
I think my list is going to be mostly the same as last year's, but I've got a few new additions.  I find performances a lot trickier than directors or films, so I try not to agonize too much over it.

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 05:07:38 AM »
I hope to get a little time to update my list from last year. Thanks for doing this again GC

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »
I think my list is going to be mostly the same as last year's, but I've got a few new additions.  I find performances a lot trickier than directors or films, so I try not to agonize too much over it.

As I'm going over my list, I'm making a lot of replacements.  Lat time, I crammed a lot of people in there more because of the film than the performance.  For example, I love What Time Is It There?, and you can make a case for Kang-sheng Lee's under-acting as an art in itself, but it's not really a "favorite" performance in terms of being what I remember about that film.  The bottom half of my list especially is going to be quite a bit different this time around.  As a bit of a tease, I'm including a quartet of performances that I really wanted to include last year but couldn't justify "wasting" (in that no one else would vote for them) four slots.  This time, to heck with it, I'm just gonna have fun with it.  There's a lot of love going into this list.