Author Topic: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Discussion  (Read 19353 times)

Totoro

Re: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Discussion
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2011, 02:41:56 PM »
You think Mo'Nique is bad?!

I don't think she is "brilliant". I thought her performance was incredibly one note and her "big" scene felt incredibly forced. It's fine for what it is, but nothing special.

It was forced. Her character was forcing herself to justify her actions and to appear as if she's a good person, but she fails terribly. I found that to be pretty complex. Otherwise, she may appear one note (possibly) but her performance also feels pretty realistic. I think people connect to performances that feel honest in their lives. I've known people like Mary through my friends. It's one of those performances that feels simultaneously like a horror film monster and a severely abused, incredibly weak woman.

Kendrick in Up in the Air feels one note. I feel that her big scene where her boyfriend breaks up with her was supposed to make the audience tear up and feel bad. Alternatively, my entire broke out in laughter. I laughed too - not because I was joining in - but because her breakdown felt forced and dishonest. I wasn't connected to her character at all. I guess she's kind of cute though.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 02:43:56 PM by Totoro »

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 02:58:06 PM »
You think Mo'Nique is bad?!

I don't think she is "brilliant". I thought her performance was incredibly one note and her "big" scene felt incredibly forced. It's fine for what it is, but nothing special.

It was forced. Her character was forcing herself to justify her actions and to appear as if she's a good person, but she fails terribly. I found that to be pretty complex. Otherwise, she may appear one note (possibly) but her performance also feels pretty realistic. I think people connect to performances that feel honest in their lives. I've known people like Mary through my friends. It's one of those performances that feels simultaneously like a horror film monster and a severely abused, incredibly weak woman.

Kendrick in Up in the Air feels one note. I feel that her big scene where her boyfriend breaks up with her was supposed to make the audience tear up and feel bad. Alternatively, my entire broke out in laughter. I laughed too - not because I was joining in - but because her breakdown felt forced and dishonest. I wasn't connected to her character at all. I guess she's kind of cute though.

Maybe forced was the wrong word, or at least forced in a different manner than what you are speaking. I get that her character was putting on that front of caring for that scene. I think I mean forced in that Mo'Nique was trying so hard in this film to prove that she can act that it really rubbed me the wrong way.

I do not think that scene was about making the audience feel bad. It was about a character who had been, up until that point, someone who thinks they know all they need to know about the world and as emotionless as she possibly could be just losing it, in a totally embarrassing way. I think its an extremely funny/charming scene and felt honest to me, anyways.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2011, 04:49:09 AM »
Been watching some stuff.

John Hurt and Richard Attenborough in 10 Rillington Place (you mofos at Turner Classic, thank you)
Judy Davis in Winter of Our Dreams
Judy Davis in Life With Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (ineligible?)
Judy Davis is now, without a doubt, my favorite actress of all time.

"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 04:54:20 AM »
Mentioning Davis had me looking at imdb's page for A Passage To India, I had forgotten it as a David Lean film. It's the Davis performance I remember it for. The rest of the film not so much.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
REMINDER: BALLOTS ARE DUE TOMORROW!

Who I have received ballots from:
-'Noke
-Bondo
-MartinTeller
-Sandy
-smirnoff
-StudentOFilm
-toro913
-Totoro

BE SURE TO PM ME YOUR LISTS!

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 02:00:25 PM »
No more procrastinating folks. Now is the time! :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 02:18:15 PM »

...And you all don't want my sentimental/nostalgia picks to skew the vote!

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 03:44:08 PM »

Again, if folks are busy, just submit a small list maybe top 10, top 5, or top 3, even.

If I'm not happy with the level of participation, I will speak my mind on Festivus!
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 03:45:58 PM »
Sandy, as always the best way to stoke participation is to put the "Fear of Bondo" TM into them. Is this the guy you want having undue influence over the final list results?

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »
Judy Davis is now, without a doubt, my favorite actress of all time.

Her performances in Naked Lunch and Husbands and Wives are simply brilliant.  An absolutely wonderful actress whose filmography I need to explore more thoroughly.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

love