Author Topic: "Seizure the Night" movie marathon  (Read 4378 times)

jim brown

• Elite Member
"Seizure the Night" movie marathon
« on: September 21, 2011, 04:30:31 PM »
My 10-year old daughter had a seizure a couple of weeks ago and as a result we have an EEG scheduled for this Saturday morning to rule out anything terrible.  Since she had the seizure in her sleep, they want this EEG to be “sleep-deprived”: i.e., I have to keep my daughter up all night (or at least until 5AM) so she will fall asleep during the actual test. 

Towards that end, she and I are scheduling our own daddy-daughter movie marathon (we’re calling it our “Seizure the Night” marathon) for this Friday evening (into Saturday morning).  I am looking for suggestions for any pre-1990 movies that a highly intelligent/mature 10-year old girl might enjoy.  They don’t have to be “classics” but I would definitely like to take this opportunity to expose her to some films of a very high caliber.  She is a fan of anything that might be described as “rom” or “com” (or a hybrid thereof) but is open-minded to other genres as well.  My only stricture would be to avoid any titles that might serve as a soporific – we’re trying to stay awake, after all.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.  I imagine we’ll watch either four or five movies that night, but a quality list would be handy for future screenings.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

jim brown

• Elite Member
Re: "Seizure the Night" movie marathon
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
By the way, two titles I have as possible entries are: Stairway to Heaven (Powell/Pressburger, 1946) and The Shop Around the Corner (Lubitsch, 1940).

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
Towards that end, she and I are scheduling our own daddy-daughter movie marathon (we’re calling it our “Seizure the Night” marathon) for this Friday evening (into Saturday morning).  I am looking for suggestions for any pre-1990 movies that a highly intelligent/mature 10-year old girl might enjoy.  They don’t have to be “classics” but I would definitely like to take this opportunity to expose her to some films of a very high caliber.  She is a fan of anything that might be described as “rom” or “com” (or a hybrid thereof) but is open-minded to other genres as well.  My only stricture would be to avoid any titles that might serve as a soporific – we’re trying to stay awake, after all.
What a great idea, jim - turning something potentially scary and not fun and into a father-daughter movie night!

First one that came to mind is The Princess Bride.  Has she seen it? Strikes me as rather appropriate to your situation. :)  I watched it with my 10-year old recently and she loved it.

For another 80's classic, has she seen Back to the Future?

A few other ideas, classics I loved when I was 10ish:
Bringing up Baby
Sabrina and/or Roman Holiday
Singin' in the Rain - they pull an all-nighter in that movie, too

Also, I know you're looking for pre-1990's, but Penelope is a great little underrated film from 2006 that I suspect a 10-year who likes rom-coms will enjoy.  (This 37 year old liked it, too. ;) )

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »
What a great idea, jim - turning something potentially scary and not fun and into a father-daughter movie night!

First one that came to mind is The Princess Bride.  Has she seen it? Strikes me as rather appropriate to your situation. :)  I watched it with my 10-year old recently and she loved it.

For another 80's classic, has she seen Back to the Future?

A few other ideas, classics I loved when I was 10ish:
Bringing up Baby
Sabrina and/or Roman Holiday
Singin' in the Rain - they pull an all-nighter in that movie, too

Also, I know you're looking for pre-1990's, but Penelope is a great little underrated film from 2006 that I suspect a 10-year who likes rom-coms will enjoy.  (This 37 year old liked it, too. ;) )

Thanks oneaprilday!  She is actually very excited about our all-nighter and has been mentioning it to me all week. 

Great suggestions - one and all, by the way. 

While we have seen both Princess Bride and Back to the Future, I'm not sure how strongly she recollects either - so I'll have to check.

The next four jump immediately on the list of candidates, however.  Especially Bringing Up Baby and Roman Holiday, since I haven't seen them.   :)

As for Penelope - that sounds like another really cool suggestion that I haven't seen.  I will definitely run that by the little lady as well.  Thanks!

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 06:31:53 PM »
You're welcome!

A couple more - not rom-coms but both really fun and both movies my dad introduced me to when I was about your daughter's age:

Charade
Arsenic and Old Lace

Both should keep you wakeful, and more Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant is always good, right? :)

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:23 AM »
I showed Charlotte your post and she loved your suggestions.    :)

Princess Bride she has seen and is one of her all-time favorites.  She has seen Charade (one of my childhood favorites) but doesn't remember it well.  And apparently she saw Singin' in the Rain and Penelope without me.   :-\

Regardless, I can pretty much guarantee that Audrey Hepburn will have some representation tomorrow night.  (Along with John Cusack; her one request for our marathon is Say Anything.)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »
Movies I have seen with my daughter/daughters that we really loved and found memorable:

To Kill A Mockingbird-- One of the greatest father/daughter movies ever.  I personally loved the difference in our viewing experience.  And it is a great film for everyone.

King Kong (1933)-- Actually it's a bit scary around the monster scenes, but it's one of my daughter's favorites.

It's A Wonderful Life-- Really memorable and although it can get really dark, it has something for everyone.

Summer Wars-- A recent anime about a family working together to save the world.  This may be Ideathy's favorite film right now.

Anything by Miyazaki-- We LOVE Miyazaki at our house and watch them over and over.  Whenever my daughter wants to trap me into watching a movie with her, she'll mention Spirited Away or Nausicaa or  Castle in the Sky.  Even Princess Mononoke, although it has a lot of fantasy violence, my daughter loves it, but she hates gore.

The Cat Returns-- It's only an hour, but it's got a great impact.  The lead is a great girl character and the title character is easy to fall in love with-- a feline Bond who is actually a gentleman.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • As every colour illuminates, we are shining...
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 11:07:24 AM »
Everything that oldkid just posted!

These are the "staying awake" recommendations from my two 12 year-olds:

Bye, Bye Birdie
City Lights (my son and I laughted through this the other day. You might want to watch it earlier on, since dialogue helps to stay awake.)
Matilda (1996 oops)
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Support Your Local Sheriff
What's Up Doc
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

They also LOVE Penelope!

Hope all goes well. You're an amazing dad.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »
Movies I have seen with my daughter/daughters that we really loved and found memorable:

To Kill A Mockingbird-- One of the greatest father/daughter movies ever.  I personally loved the difference in our viewing experience.  And it is a great film for everyone.

King Kong (1933)-- Actually it's a bit scary around the monster scenes, but it's one of my daughter's favorites.

It's A Wonderful Life-- Really memorable and although it can get really dark, it has something for everyone.

Summer Wars-- A recent anime about a family working together to save the world.  This may be Ideathy's favorite film right now.

Anything by Miyazaki-- We LOVE Miyazaki at our house and watch them over and over.  Whenever my daughter wants to trap me into watching a movie with her, she'll mention Spirited Away or Nausicaa or  Castle in the Sky.  Even Princess Mononoke, although it has a lot of fantasy violence, my daughter loves it, but she hates gore.

The Cat Returns-- It's only an hour, but it's got a great impact.  The lead is a great girl character and the title character is easy to fall in love with-- a feline Bond who is actually a gentleman.

Great suggestions oldkid.  I'll be checking the library and Netflix for these.  Thanks!

IdeaThy12

• I made the image I'm using for myprofile alsois oc
    • The Fiction Hub~
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:08:49 PM »
Pokemon Heroes
Pokemon 2000
Cars
all 3 toy story movies
Finding Nemo
Up
Bug's Life
Wall-E
Emperor's New Groove
The Lion King
And i am agreeing with my dad on Summer Wars
Hellboy
Hellboy 2
"Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things. It just means you have to accept what happened and continue living." ~Erza Scarlet (Fairy Tail)

~Levy McGarden (Fairy Tail)

love