Author Topic: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists  (Read 49679 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2011, 10:19:03 PM »
Ugh, I remembered that I should have Adele Haenel on my list (and rather high up) for The Devils. Not worth changing (nor are the other things I was thinking I had messed up) because none of them are in contention for the final list.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2011, 07:59:23 PM »
Ugh, I remembered that I should have Adele Haenel on my list (and rather high up) for The Devils. Not worth changing (nor are the other things I was thinking I had messed up) because none of them are in contention for the final list.

You'd be surprised with what could be in contention considering I only have gotten four ballots.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2011, 08:11:38 PM »
Meh, I did update my list in the thread.

Totoro

« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2011, 05:10:45 AM »
Introduction

This is my first Top 100 performance list EVER. I already know I've screwed up a ton and forgotten a lot of performances. This list will also show several of my weak decades. I'm sticking by it because I need to have something to improve on in later years. Also, I'm doing it in several sections with pics. Finally, the ranking somewhat matters. Nothing is solid in their spot. I'm going to be doing this over several nights.

It's kind of weird.

And I can't pick one Chaplin or Keaton performance so I didn't pick any. Same with the Marx Brothers. Don't have a favorite. They're my only honorable mentions because of this.

100. Parker Posey, Best in Show (She's so perfect in everything though!)

99. Alan Rickman, Die Hard (Screw Snape, gimme more Hans!)

98. Charles Boyer, The Earrings of Madame De... (This won't be the last of Madame De...)

97. Rosalind Russel, His Girl Friday (Oi. I need to see more of her career)

96. Lee Van Cleef, For a Few Dollars More (Subtle, nuanced, extremely underrated)

95. Mia Farrow, The Purple Rose of Cairo (Breaks my heart every time)

94. Daniel Day-Lewis, A Room with a View (Such a hoot! So funny to see him this way, he nails it)

93. Jodie Foster, The Silence of the Lambs (A very small performance that widens and cracks)

92. Humphrey Bogart, The Maltese Falcon (This reminds me - Peter Lorre for this film is another honorable mention, also, while people love Casablanca and remember Bogie for that, this will always be the film I know him for)

91. Jeffrey Hunter, The Searchers (There's a very Heston-esque quality to this performance, yet I like it. I'm a complex man, so sue me.)

90. Enrique Irazoquoi, The Gospel According to St. Matthew (My favorite Christ portrayal)

89. Ellen Burstyn, The Last Picture Show (Her BEST performance as well, take that!)

88. Harrison Ford, Star Wars: A New Hope (Sells every second of it, very funny & awesomely charismatic, so shut up!)

87. Johnathan Pryce, Brazil (I went back on forth on this one. Hmmm. Still not sure. Tied with Lewis probably for Blood)

86. Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood (Didn't know where to put him - oh well, MILKSHAKE!)

85. Gwyneth Paltrow, The Royal Tenenbaums (I love this performance so much that whenever I see Paltrow do something else I always wonder if she had a twin do this film or something)

Totoro

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2011, 12:58:09 AM »

84. Whoopi Goldberg, The Color Purple (Underrated)

83. Brigitte Mara, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul (Eta: Whoops. Haha. )

82. Paul Reubens, Pee Wee's Big Adventure (The picture says it all)

81. Victor Sjostrom, Wild Strawberries (Subtly astonishing)

80. Janet Gaynor, Sunrise (Thanks Movie Dictator Club!)

79. Kim Novak, Vertigo (Tough performance to pull off, but she nails it)

78. Peter Dinklage, The Station Agent (Fantastic character, terrific performance, love love love)

77. John Dall, Rope (So psychotic, yet surprisingly sympathetic)

76. Lamberto Maggiorani, Bicycle Thieves (Such brilliant performances, I couldn't help but group them together)
75. Enzo Staioila, Bicycle Thieves (The kid is slightly better)

74. Yuyu Yagira, Nobody Knows (Quite possibly the best child performance of all time?)

73. Gena Rowlands, A Woman Under the Influence (I need to see her other work!)

72. John Huston, Chinatown (CREEPY!)

71. Carey Grant, His Girl Friday (George Clooney wishes he could be this good)

70. Gloria Swanson, Sunset Blvd (Originally thought this was too OTT, but I can't shake her impact on me. Magnificent)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 11:36:37 PM by Totoro »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2011, 04:57:34 AM »
Re your question at 84. Answered at 81 and then at 72.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Totoro

« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2011, 02:29:51 PM »
I'm deviating from my original list as I go along.

Totoro

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2011, 03:29:55 PM »

69. Gene Kelly, Singin in the Rain (What a talent!)

68. Marcello Mastroianni, 8 1/2 (Difficult to find a good picture)

67. Brady Corbet, Mysterious Skin (Incredibly underrated)

66. Sidney Poitier, In the Heat of the Night (Strong performance, should of won Oscar)

65. Setsuko Hara, Tokyo Story (She's heartachingly sad here)

64. Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt (I don't like Cotten that much, but he's phenomenal here)

63. Marlon Brando, The Godfather (Iconic)

62. Yoshioki Hanayagi, Sansho the Bailiff (Haunting)

61. Marie Windsor, The Killing (I hated her so much!)

60. Faye Dunnaway, Chinatown (Her least annoying performance is also her best)

59. Peter Sellers, Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (the president is my favorite)

58. Jean-Pierre Leaud, The 400 Blows (Well, Yuyu, I forgot somebody, sorry)

57. Audrey Tautou, Amelie (Spoon! :P )

56. John Goodman, The Big Lebowski (Funny!)

55. Ingrid Thulin, Winter Light (Intense!)

Totoro

« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »
I guess people aren't so into videos anymore  :-\   I know it's not Verite-quality, but I did put quite a bit of time into it.

I really liked it. Great job - not ust saying that. You should do more!

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2011, 08:32:32 PM »
I guess people aren't so into videos anymore  :-\   I know it's not Verite-quality, but I did put quite a bit of time into it.

I really liked it. Great job - not ust saying that. You should do more!

I loved the videos as well, MT. Inspired me to add a bunch of movies to my imaginary queue. I loved seeing Meena Kumari's performance in Pakeezah there. I haven't watched it in years and your video really made me want to revisit a few bollywood classics.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 08:56:24 PM by worm@work »

love