Author Topic: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists  (Read 49688 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2nd Annual Filmspotters' Top 100 Performances: Your Lists
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2011, 12:56:33 PM »
Yeah, I've got some teen girls in there, I've roles of pedophiles and prostitutes. I also have transgender actors and roles (which reminds me, I forgot to put Cillian Murphy for Breakfast On Pluto rather than 28 Days Later and Ejiofor for Kinky Boots :(). The common theme is gender and sexuality outside the norm, something I've been very clear is an interest of mine. It's why I took gender studies classes in college, it's why I've read a lot of books on the various subjects and seek out documentaries on things like sex trafficking.

But the more personal aspect is far more gender than sexuality. It's who I wish I was, not who I wish I was with. It is only natural that the adolescent/coming of age stories that are about emerging womanhood would be more potent than female roles generally.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:55 PM »
Some of y'all should watch Prime Suspect 3 because it has David Thewlis, Peter Capaldi, Ciaran Hinds, and Helen Mirren.  All of them are excellent in it.  Watch it for general appreciation, though, it's a tv miniseries/2-part tv film; thus, ineligible for this list, I think.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2011, 01:31:17 PM »
I agree, especially Mirren's super cop; redefines "hard cop".

Another with some well-known actors which is excellent is Cracker, one storyline involved Robert Carlyle as a psycho versus Robbie Coltrane. Incredible story.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »
Pierce Brosnan - James Bond series

This would be a valid pick wouldn't it? Or should I name a film?
Apart from the performances not being any good?
Don't be mad it takes an Irishman to make the English look cool ;)

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2011, 02:19:39 PM »
Mahaha. I can feel a Noke comment coming.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »
I don't want to justify it by saying that nobody else could pull off the role the way he did, everyone brings their own interpretation to it and there is no true approach, but still... it's pretty much perfect. And I don't think it's easy either. Do you really believe his performances are not good (films aside)?

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2011, 02:35:12 PM »
Another with some well-known actors which is excellent is Cracker, one storyline involved Robert Carlyle as a psycho versus Robbie Coltrane. Incredible story.

Though I haven't watched the entire Cracker series in years, that's definitely a candidate for my favorite of the series.  And I wish we could include tv because some of the greatest acting work captured on film is from tv.  Coltrane would rank very high on my list as would Ian McShane (Deadwood), Gandolfini (The Sopranos), et al.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:37 PM »
I don't want to justify it by saying that nobody else could pull off the role the way he did, everyone brings their own interpretation to it and there is no true approach, but still... it's pretty much perfect. And I don't think it's easy either. Do you really believe his performances are not good (films aside)?
He just wasn't around for long enough to stop being Remington Steele for me, a bit generic as Bond. I can't put him near Daniel Craig who had more impact in one good Bond and nowhere near the definitive Bond, Connery. I can remember him remote controlling a beemer, but as for any standout scenes (like Craig's card scenes) I'm blanking on him. Bit of a Dalton.

Though I haven't watched the entire Cracker series in years, that's definitely a candidate for my favorite of the series.  And I wish we could include tv because some of the greatest acting work captured on film is from tv.  Coltrane would rank very high on my list as would Ian McShane (Deadwood), Gandolfini (The Sopranos), et al.
Definitely those two, MacShane's gall stone episodes became an epic performance plus Christopher Moltosanti plus Idris Elba (not Luther :P) and John Thaw's Morse but here's a left field older one. Powers Boothe as Phillip Marlowe is the definitive Marlowe for me.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 02:53:51 PM by verbALs »

Verite

• Elite Member
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2011, 03:10:49 PM »
Definitely those two, MacShane's gall stone episodes became an epic performance plus Christopher Moltosanti plus Idris Elba (not Luther :P) and John Thaw's Morse but here's a left field older one. Powers Boothe as Phillip Marlowe is the definitive Marlowe for me.

Imperioli's Christupha and Elba's Stringer would rank high on mine.  How much more do you like Boothe's Marlowe over Gambon's?  I'll have to check out that Boothe series now.
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2011, 03:18:21 PM »
As in the Singing Detective? Brilliant, weird, classic Dennis Potter. Outside the Chandler canon which is what the Marlowe tv series went through. I can't even remember how old the series is.

I was listening to an adaptation of The Little Sister on Radio 4 last Saturday. Toby Stephens (a former Bond villain I think) did a good Marlowe. They are adapting Marlowe stories into hour and a half plays, good stuff, although Chandler always makes my head ache with numbers of characters. Next week is Poodle Springs which I think is a Robert Parker Marlowe story.