Author Topic: Moneyball  (Read 10365 times)

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
Re: Moneyball
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 06:20:01 PM »
I think the daughter scenes didn't work for me because they seem unnecessary. Why do we need to know that he is supposedly a good father.

bb6634

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 07:56:31 PM »
  Oh, and great minimalist score by Mychel Danna.

Sounded to me like they just transposed the score from Social Network.

Yeah, I got a similar vibe, but Dyanna's score felt less showy.    Still, nice to see that they didn't go for the arena of the gods anthem bombast that usually accompanies sports movies.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 08:10:54 PM »
  Oh, and great minimalist score by Mychel Danna.

Sounded to me like they just transposed the score from Social Network.

Yeah, I got a similar vibe, but Dyanna's score felt less showy.    Still, nice to see that they didn't go for the arena of the gods anthem bombast that usually accompanies sports movies.

I didn't think they sounded anything alike one is electronic music the other is guitar based.

BlueVoid

• Elite Member
    • Movie Fodder
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
I think the daughter scenes didn't work for me because they seem unnecessary. Why do we need to know that he is supposedly a good father.

It provided another dimension to him. Showed that he cared for more than just the team. And it was big factor in his decision not to go to Boston.
Former blog on FlickChart: The Depths of Obscurity
Letterboxd 
iCM
Twitter

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:36:32 AM »
Also, as a fan of baseball, I was disappointed by how much of the underdog card they played. I mean that team had Tim Hudson, Barry Zito and Mark Mulder on the mound, and Miguel Tejada won the MVP that year (Zito won the Cy Young). Other than Hudson being mentioned once for like a second, those names were absent,
Billy Beane cultists always leave this out, which is definitely the case in the the book too of course. It's fun to pretend that fat guys who walk a lot win pennants, but, as you noted, it's a somewhat dishonest analysis.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:11 AM »
Josh Levine does the Slate Spoiler Special with Dana Stevens on Moneyball, and he pokes the same holes that Corndog and matt tmw do in the story of the winning team with loser players, pointing out all the great players on that team.

It's a good listen.
Texan Down Under

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 01:07:11 PM »
Cool, I'll check that out.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
Call me old fashioned but I liked the movie for what it actually was; the story of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's for one season.

Totoro

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2011, 10:22:28 PM »
For people who have a very surface level appreciation/understanding of baseball, would this movie be enjoyable?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2011, 11:47:55 PM »
Probably. In FLY's review he wrote that the less you know about the story the more enjoyable the film will be, probably. It's a perfectly serviceable film, I guess.