love

Author Topic: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?  (Read 36333 times)

Totoro

Favorite Alcoholic Drink?
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:06:09 AM »
Come on, I know most of you are over 21, tell me what kind of stuff you drink! I'm very naive when it comes to alcohol. I've been wanting to expand my knowledge. What mixed drinks would you recommend? Or beer? Wine? Let's talk about alcohol.

I drink some mixed drinks. I'm not a big fan of beer, but am willing to keep trying it until I find one I like. I love vodka.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
Re: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 04:41:01 AM »
Cider is life. Apple, pear, I once even had boysenberry wine cider (which was odd, but wonderful).

Gin and Tonics in the summertime are wonderful. I have a bottle of Hendrick's waiting for some nicer weather.

Jameson on the rocks has a charm I adore.

I have been a fan of wine in the past, but have not had any in ages. It's something I need to rectify. Red is preferred to white. The best I ever had was a late-picked zinfandel from a local winery - soft and dark and subtle, with just a touch of sweetness.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 08:36:09 AM »
I don't think with beer it is a matter of finding the right one. They all taste pretty bad until one day they don't (except IPAs, they still taste bad).

Anyway
Favorite Beer: Ayinger Celebrator

Favorite Wine: Pinot Noir, generally speaking.

Special mention to New Age White, this is an Argentinian white sparkling blend with heavy citrus notes that can almost function in the place of a margarita. Very light and refreshing in the summer. Very low alcohol content for a wine which explains its sweetness.

Favorite Shot: Buttery Nipple (Butterscotch Schnapps and Bailey's Irish Creme)...was my first shot actually and I will not be judged for it.

Also SoCo and lime.

Mixed drinks: Caipirinha, this Brazilian drink based on cachaca, it like a very high quality marg when made right (or when made by me the one and only time I've had it when a friend brought a single-serving bottle of cachaca back from Brazil with her for my birthday.)

Chai Thai - A drink of my own creation, a variation on the white russian that uses chai alongside the vodka and Kahlua. Given the drink's caffeine content, great for late nights in the computer lab at school running regressions for a term paper.

Coconut Rum and Coke - an old favorite, I just love coconut rum.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:35:32 AM »
Amaretto sour.

Or if I'm at Senor Tadpole's, anything I can have made in my mouth.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
I don't drink much these days (discovered in college that I'm a lousy, miserable drunk) but I enjoy a screwdriver or a rum and coke.  Beer can be pretty good, too.

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 10:16:53 AM »
Wine: While I secretly wish I was more into French wine, I must admit that I generally find them too harsh, having to much of tannines. So generally I prefer wines from South Africa, Australia and US. Shiraz and Zinfandel are good, reliable grapes.

Spirits: Calvados is quite delicious. I've also learned to appreciate single malt, as long as it's not too smokey.

Drinks: For how plain and boring it is, gin and bitter lemon is my favorite.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

enzobot24

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 10:19:13 AM »
Favorite beer: Basically any Belgian Trappist ale. They're sweet with a great mouthfeel and pack an alcoholic punch (usually 8-11%). Rochefort 10 is my favorite--but it's $7 a bottle. Gulden Draak is a close second and much cheaper at $3 a bottle.

Favorite spirits: Tough call. I like good bourbon--Old Rip Van Winkle 12 year "Lot B" for the special occasions (since it's $55) and Buffalo Trace or Maker's Mark for mixing and guiltless pouring. I also like good absinthe--Delaware Phoenix out of New York makes some amazing stuff.

Favorite mixed drinks:
Sazerac--rye whiskey and Peychaud's Bitters in an absinthe coated glass
Gin and tonic

Try sake too if you can get it in your area. I like it more than wine. Just stay away from anything made in Oregon (stick with Japanese brewed) and avoid Gekkeikan (it's the Bacardi of sake i.e., pretty bad).

Not a huge fan of vodka because its purpose: to be transparent in a mixed drink. I got tired of rum and cokes and screwdrivers because that's all my friends drink. I like trying unusual stuff. That adventurousness has yielded some new favorites, like Norwegian Akvavit, and new hated spirits, like Brazilian Cachaca (I probably need to try some good Cachaca though to administer a final judgement).
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:26:58 AM by enzobot24 »
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

enzobot24

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 10:20:42 AM »
Spirits: Calvados is quite delicious. I've also learned to appreciate single malt, as long as it's not too smokey.

Calvados is pretty awesome. I wish we had more brands here in the US. What are your favorites?
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
Sadly enough I couldn't name them right away. Most of the calvados I've had, have been bottles I've gotten as a gift from a French friend. Different sort every time. The assortment in my own country is usually very small so you'll just buy whatever they have in stock.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
We get Calvados when we go over to Normandy since every Normandy recipe has calvados and cider in it. One good one is rabbit in cider and calvados and apple.

Gin- Menorcan gin is that deadly combination of cheap and strong.
Beefeater gin and Plymouth Gin are nice.
As I get older the quintessential English drink; Gin & Tonic becomes more of a favourite.

Vodka- Seabreezes; VOdka, Grapefruit and Cranberry will put hairs on your chest

Single Malts- MacCallan and Talisker are great. Had a Glaswegian workmate who did a whiskey tasting for us one night. Long night. Always a Christmas treat far too Expensive otherwise.

Had a dessert consisting of pineapple sorbet with Cuban rum poured over it the other night. That worked!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy