love

Author Topic: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?  (Read 36345 times)

Antares

• Godfather
Re: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 01:13:40 PM »
Try sake too if you can get it in your area. I like it more than wine. Just stay away from anything made in Oregon (stick with Japanese brewed) and avoid Gekkeikan (it's the Bacardi of sake i.e., pretty bad).

I'm partial to any Nigori style sake. It makes me feel like I'm drinking it with Mifune.  ;)

For beer, the best I've ever had in a bottle is Maudite, out of Quebec. It's not a beer to drink when you're in the mound to pound a few, it's more for having with good food.

I had a bottle in my refrigerator one time, that I forgot about in the back. It was in there for close to two years. When I cracked it open, it had aged like a fine wine. I now buy the 4 packs and date one of the four bottles and bury it in the back to let it age.

For wine, I tend to like the sweeter varietals such as Tawny Port, Madeira, Gewurtztraminer, Riesling and the three levels of Auslese.

For a shot, I've been known to be an eradicator of many bottles of Jagermeister. I don't know why, but I love the stuff. Always keep a couple of bottles in my downstairs freezer.

And finally, for a mixed drink, my favorite is a Dark and Stormy. Cool, refreshing and has the kick of a Jamaican mule.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

enzobot24

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 06:57:05 PM »
I'm partial to any Nigori style sake. It makes me feel like I'm drinking it with Mifune.  ;)

Nigori can be amazing. It can be extremely sweet though. I usually go for junmai ginjo (not too expensive).

I'd love to try unpasteurized, undiluted (around 20% alcohol compared to the normal 15-17%) nigori sake. Some vendors sell it online, but they require that you choose 1 day shipping, since it can spoil easily. And that tacks on a $20-40 shipping fee.
Most recent DVD purchase: A Very Long Engagement
Most recent Blu-ray purchase: Paprika

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
One of my dreams is to star in a Hong Sang-soo film, drink a ton of soju and make an ass of myself in front of pretty Korean women. Make of this what you will.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »
You don't need to be in a Hong Sangsoo movie to do that.  Trust me.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
For beer, the best I've ever had in a bottle is Maudite, out of Quebec. It's not a beer to drink when you're in the mound to pound a few, it's more for having with good food.

love Unibroue, Ephemere (apple beer), Trios Pistoles, Chambly - all fantastic.  Flying Fish's Exit 4 (American Trippel) is another amazing brew.  Recently loving Belgian sours as well - lambics, oud bruins, geuzes - went to Cantillon's Zwanze Day 2011 at Monk's here in Philly and sampled the 2011, 2010 and 2009 versions... YUM!

Also been getting into making cocktails... in fact I just created a signature drink for my old roommates wedding this past Sunday!  It was a fall theme wedding and they loved this:

It's 1 oz Rye (Irish Whiskey is acceptable, DON"T use bourbon, its too sweet), 1/2 oz Apricot Brandy, 3 oz Apple cider and a dash of cinnamon.  Shake all ingredients over ice and strain over a cinnamon stick into an up glass.

I was actually asked by the grooms aunt (who'd had 3 to that point) if I was trained, you know if I was a cocktologist...

Just finished brewing my first batch of beer as well, wasn't bad - tasted like it should, generic english bitter.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »

love Unibroue, Ephemere (apple beer), Trios Pistoles, Chambly - all fantastic.  Flying Fish's Exit 4 (American Trippel) is another amazing brew.

Love Trois Pistoles, but didn't care for Blanche de Chambly. Never been a big fan of Belgian Whites. But a friend of mine on another forum gave me a French Canadian recipe for ham, which with 100% pure maple syrup, is simmered in a slow cooker. It really sounds good, but I haven't been able to make it yet because I don't want to buy a whole case of the stuff.

I'm more of a porter and stout lover. I like my beers to be bold.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 01:18:13 AM »
You don't need to be in a Hong Sangsoo movie to do that.  Trust me.

True. Still one of my life goals!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 06:09:07 AM »
Beer and grape wine are not for me, but I do love a sweet mixed drink.

For classics try
Tequila Sunrise - Tequila, Orange Juice and Grenadine
Gin and Tonic with a squeeze of lemon or lime (mix the drink the take 2 small wedges of either squeeze them into the drink and drop the wedges in as well), I am a Bombay Saphire fan for the gin

My lemonade (7-up for north Americans) mixers, basically these drink go well with lemonade
Honey Vodka
Sloe Gin

For a creamy cocktail try
Grasshopper - equal parts Creme de menthe, Creme de Cacao and Double cream, shaken together with ice.

Or for a strong drink, try
Green Dragon - 2 parts Vodka, 1 part Green Chartreuse, shaken with ice

For a very strong drink, try
Absinthe cocktail - 2 parts absinthe, 2 parts still mineral water, a dash of sugar syrup and a dash of Angostura bitters, again shake with ice and beware.

The other direction for drinking is aperitifs, such as
Frangelico, a hazelnut liqueur
Amaretto, an almond liqueur
Lemoncello, lemon flavoured

Going Asian, try
a Cloudy Sake, often drunk cold
Sake, drunk warm
Plum wine

If you are going to get right into cocktails trying to make lots of different ones at home, you will need a large (like 50+ different) selection of liqueurs and other alcoholic drinks. For a less varied attempt I would recommend some basic spirits (vodka, white and dark rum, gin, bourbon/whisky) and several different liqueurs (triple sec, midori, creme de menthe, a nut flavoured liqueur) and some random others based on cocktails you like. You will also need non-alcoholic mixers Angostura Bitter, Grenadine are 2 to always have around.

So there is some suggestion to punish your wallet and liver, enjoy.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2011, 08:26:36 AM »
Getting a fairly full-featured home-bar is on my bucket list.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2011, 08:33:09 AM »
I don't really drink. An occasional beer is about it. Never felt the desire to expand beyond that.

love