love

Author Topic: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?  (Read 36324 times)

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
Re: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?
« Reply #240 on: August 22, 2017, 05:00:58 AM »
There are a number of rather sweet liqueurs from Portugal that are generally low on alcohol: ginjinha, Moscatel, amendoa amarga...I imagine they would be troublesome for you to find though.

I have always found anis based drinks to be very sweet - pastis, ouzo, etc. - but that stuff tastes terrible, so I would not recommend it.

Vermouth is sweet but pretty much useless unless you're making a cocktail.

I have a number of friends who enjoy Baileys so if you want to introduce your progeny to the joys of college life and bad decisions that might be a good one. Also: Jagermeister, Malibu and Blue Curação.

Absinthe would be the obvious choice but you cannot find the proper stuff nowadays, only the heretical 50% kind.

I imagine you've introduced them to wine already, but more specifically, have they had Sauternes?

I hear they drink Cointreau neat in some parts of France. With some ice and a garnish of orange I mean. I reserve it for cocktails.

Some rums are sweet and I seem to remember that neat cachaça is as well.

These are my top of mind suggestions but port should, naturally, be your first choice.

Come back to me when you guys get started on the real stuff.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #241 on: August 22, 2017, 06:39:39 AM »
The only alcohol that touches these lips is wine at communion.

Plus, alcoholism runs in my family.  :-\

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #242 on: August 22, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
As a young person, I tasted a number of alcohols, not liking most, except a couple.  That, plus a wife who doesn't touch the stuff, has kept me from drinking almost at all.  I've never been drunk. 

My kids has an uncle who's an alcoholic, but they've grown up with people whose lives have been destroyed by alcohol and drugs, so they aren't likely to abuse it.

In the end, I'd rather them experiment with alcohol at home and learn that it has to do with what we like, not what other people tell us to like.

The only wine they've tried is champagne.  They didn't think it was great, but they didn't consider it awful, either, unlike sake.  I like the wine suggestions because they might be likely to like those, although I think they should try a dark ale, because ales are very Portland.

We'll avoid anise drinks, because none of us are fans of anise.

What we have on our list is:
Scotch
Port
Moscato
Vodka (perhaps with orange juice)
Budwiser
Portland-made ale, we have a micro brewery right across the street

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #243 on: August 22, 2017, 03:48:27 PM »
Absinthe would be the obvious choice but you cannot find the proper stuff nowadays, only the heretical 50% kind.

Most unfortunate. I have a nice 80% bottle in my cupboard and equally strong and stronger is still available here.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #244 on: August 22, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
How about a gin & tonic? Or better yet, gin & ginger beer/ale?

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #245 on: August 22, 2017, 06:59:07 PM »
I have a question about gin and tonic.  I have read Douglas Adams wax eloquent on the drink, but I've tasted gin and I've had tonic and tonic is so very disgusting.  Gin is barely drinkable.  What is it together that makes it good?  Or is it one of those things you need to "develop a taste for", which just means "you're not supposed to like it, but if you drink it enough you can tell others you like it."
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #246 on: August 22, 2017, 07:41:23 PM »
I have a question about gin and tonic.  I have read Douglas Adams wax eloquent on the drink, but I've tasted gin and I've had tonic and tonic is so very disgusting.  Gin is barely drinkable.  What is it together that makes it good?  Or is it one of those things you need to "develop a taste for", which just means "you're not supposed to like it, but if you drink it enough you can tell others you like it."

I liked them from the first time I had one, but I wouldn't dispute that gin does have a peculiar flavor. Plus it has an especially steep drop in taste when it becomes cheaper compared to other boozes.  And I like tonic but I wouldn't drink it by itself.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #247 on: August 22, 2017, 07:55:58 PM »
How set on Budweiser are you? I ask because you're so close to Washington and I think Rainier is America's best cheap, lighter beer.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #248 on: August 22, 2017, 08:03:32 PM »
Gin is reasonably good mixed with something like 7-Up and tonic isn't that bad mixed with something like the bottom of a drain.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #249 on: August 23, 2017, 05:24:21 AM »
Gin is reasonably good mixed with something like 7-Up and tonic isn't that bad mixed with something like the bottom of a drain.

I will try tackling this one thing at a time by order of seriousness.

Can I ask how come you're trying all these different liquors before regular wine? I would think that would be the first think anyone tastes, and by that I mean, I am appalled, and feel compelled to open a bottle of red to drink to your poor, sober, Bordeaux-less children.

Isn't Budweiser the American Heineken, but worse? Why would you expose anyone to that?

Gin is an ambrosia that was invented by Dionysus on his trip to the botanical garden and is one of the few good things left in the world. If you've never tasted a good one I can recommend some brands. Most people are only familiar with the likes of Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire which are to gin what Internet Explorer is to web browsers.

Gin and tonic typically refers to all mixes of gin and tonic-like beverages, of which ginger ale is one example. Ginger ale is almost universally superior to tonic and whenever I get the chance it is my pick if I am going the cocktail route. The brand is essential because most of the taste in the cocktail comes from the tonic, so if one a budget one should invest in a good tonic instead of a good gin. I have gin and tonics because whenever I fill a balloon with neat gin it apparently means that I « have a drinking problem ».

Most unfortunate. I have a nice 80% bottle in my cupboard and equally strong and stronger is still available here.

I did not realise we were allowed to suggest brown spirits. In order:

Cognac
Scotch
Other, lesser whiskies (with the interesting recent inclusion of the Japanese variety)
Armagnac
Rum
Bourbon

Instead of the vodka/orange juice option, typically associated with college parties and getting thoroughly trashed, can I suggest instead Bloody Marries, typically associated with white women having brunch and getting thoroughly tipsy?

Also, it dawns on me that no one's mentioned mead yet, which surely fills the sweet criteria.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/