Author Topic: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?  (Read 36331 times)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
Re: Favorite Alcoholic Drink?
« Reply #250 on: August 23, 2017, 07:51:06 AM »
Another drink to try, but more when it is colder, is mulled wine.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #251 on: August 23, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
Another drink to try, but more when it is colder, is mulled wine.

I second and third this.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #252 on: August 23, 2017, 09:46:11 AM »
Mead, mulled wine... excellent suggestions!

There's ice wine too but it costs a pretty penny.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #253 on: August 23, 2017, 10:04:55 AM »
Still have to try that...

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2017, 02:58:38 AM »
And I just remembered hard cider.

Okay, let's answer some questions:

How set on Budweiser are you?

Not especially, but I think they should try a cheap American beer, because they are so readily available (and I think they should be mystified with me why so many people drink such awful crap).  Coors is what I had in mind first, but Budweiser is, I believe, more common.

Can I ask how come you're trying all these different liquors before regular wine?

I don't really know.  There is no master plan.  And when I go to the store there are two full aisles, both sides, full of wines.  I have no idea what to choose.

Isn't Budweiser the American Heineken, but worse? Why would you expose anyone to that?

As per above

Gin is an ambrosia that was invented by Dionysus on his trip to the botanical garden and is one of the few good things left in the world. If you've never tasted a good one I can recommend some brands. Most people are only familiar with the likes of Gordon's and Bombay Sapphire which are to gin what Internet Explorer is to web browsers.

Gin and tonic typically refers to all mixes of gin and tonic-like beverages, of which ginger ale is one example. Ginger ale is almost universally superior to tonic and whenever I get the chance it is my pick if I am going the cocktail route. The brand is essential because most of the taste in the cocktail comes from the tonic, so if one a budget one should invest in a good tonic instead of a good gin. I have gin and tonics because whenever I fill a balloon with neat gin it apparently means that I « have a drinking problem ».

You probably do have a drinking problem, but I do too, only it's not alcohol-based.  Ginger ale instead of tonic is a great idea.  And I'm not familiar with what is a good gin.  I'm open to suggestions.

I did not realise we were allowed to suggest brown spirits. In order:

Cognac
Scotch
Other, lesser whiskies (with the interesting recent inclusion of the Japanese variety)
Armagnac
Rum
Bourbon

Instead of the vodka/orange juice option, typically associated with college parties and getting thoroughly trashed, can I suggest instead Bloody Marries, typically associated with white women having brunch and getting thoroughly tipsy?

Also, it dawns on me that no one's mentioned mead yet, which surely fills the sweet criteria.
[/quote]

I'll probably stick with Scotch, because that's my favorite.

A bloody mary is a great idea, and another tasty favorite of mine.

Mead is also a great idea.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2017, 05:36:36 AM »
You probably do have a drinking problem, but I do too, only it's not alcohol-based.  Ginger ale instead of tonic is a great idea.  And I'm not familiar with what is a good gin.  I'm open to suggestions.

Ok with gin you have your classic flavour (Old Tom), some various country specific classics, and more modern botanical gins (often flavoured with country specific botanicals, such as Lemon Myrtle here in Australia). All gins are botanical, but it can be used to refer to those moving further away from Old Tom in flavour. I like my botanical gins, but some of the classics are very nice. Good old Bombay Sapphire is a great standard, or a fancier and little better one try Tanqueray #10. In a botanical I like Four Pillars, but I doubt you will be able to get that there. I would suggest going into a booze shop with a wider range and asking the staff. In a 'softer' gin option try a Sloe gin, which is gin flavoured with Sloe berries (e.g. Plymouth Sloe Gin). This should not be drunk with tonic, rather lemonade (aka 7up) or something else. As for gin and ginger ale, bah humbug. Gin, tonic, ice, 2 slices of lemon or lime squeezed (so the juice goes into the drink) then dropped into the drink, that is magic on a hot summers day.

Note: I really should do some research as to the types of gin, so take with a massive grain of salt my definitions of the various types.

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2017, 06:03:42 AM »
My favourite gin at the moment is Monkey 47 but it is rather pricey. Good alternatives are The Botanist, Hendricks and Gin Mare. I am not fond of Bombay Sapphire but it is several notches superior to Gordon's. Plymouth and Pillars are not sold here.

As for the people who put 7up in their gin:

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2017, 07:00:14 AM »
(I am sorry and ashamed I have failed to mention sherry and brandy so far.)

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2017, 02:49:05 AM »
7up only in Sloe Gin.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #259 on: August 25, 2017, 06:25:19 AM »
Fine, I'll start doing gin and ginger, and leave the 7-up for sloe. I like ginger ale more than 7-up anyway.

love