love

Author Topic: Shocktober Group Marathon 2011  (Read 58794 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Shocktober Group Marathon 2011
« Reply #190 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:36 PM »
Diary of the Dead

While Land of the Dead could have been a continuation of the previous series, this clearly is a new timeline, based in a world that apparently has no knowledge of zombies. They have mummy lore, as they are in the midst of making a mummy film when the zombie outbreak happens, but they are clueless about zombies. So naturally we have to go through the whole "what the f**k is happening" phase that at this point is so tiresome.

Of course, this is Romero's answer to the found footage mockumentary trend. This one manages to be even fuller of meta-wankery as the people filming are actually film students (with film professor in tow) so we get all kinds of terrible dialogue about the meaning of the filming and the idea of a zombie outbreak in a world where video cameras are in everyone's phones and they post the vids up on youtube. This has the potential of insight, but it just feels like it is trying too hard.

There are a few solid moments…quality kills and the like. Enough to make it passable even. Romero just doesn't seem to do bad, he always at least finds the basic level of enjoyment. At the end of the day there was one make or break moment. Right near the start, when they are setting up the film students, they are making a mummy film with a scene of the mummy chasing a hot blonde and it was indicated, or at least someone hoped, that it would involve her dress being torn off and her breasts popping out. This sets a certain foreshadowed expectation of the film to deliver on this promise. But I grew increasingly concerned that like so many films it would chicken out from the nudity its story indicated, which would have been annoying. But alas, it didn't, and it was glorious. I'm a simple man, and I know how to appreciate the little things in life, even when the rest of life is a bit of a disappointment.

3/5

P.S. Against The Dark, Cracks and Document of the Dead are no longer planned for Shocktober.

P.P.S. More people should be watching Teeth for Shocktober if they haven't already. That film is great.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #191 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
Interesting that half of your review is a commentary on expectations of nudity. I was mostly disappointed in Land of the Dead, so the reboot of Diary was an unexpected good time, even if it is like you said, just a basic level of enjoyment. Can't remember if it was this film or the prior that had my 2nd favorite zombie kill with the acid. (Nothing has come close to topping the helicopter blade in Dawn.) I also loved the image of the zombies in the pool, though I remember that being the last interesting moment of the film.

p.s. I am now also running into the problem of no longer being able to keep up with my aggressive schedule. I have cut White Zombie from the marathon and wonder what other films will end up not being watched.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2011, 07:32:22 AM »
Re- Magic (found something constructive to say)- I looked at my original post and I was vague on details except Hopkins performance struck me as weird and memorable. In fact, thinking again does it not seem that the seeds of Hannibal Lector are in there, more on the doll's side than his own character?

It might be a personal choice but I wonder why you would give Attenborough another chance when you dislike his style so much. You seem to be an equitable fella (I'm being genuine not sarcastic) because you've also stated that The Bourne Identity gets 4 watches despite your reservations. I wouldn't do that. I gave Godard 3 chances and I won't be giving him a 4th. I'm confident in my opinion enough not to think ploughing that furrow is going to get me any closer to liking his films.

@Bondo, I am sure you are sick of hearing other people's opinions of how you approach films, but, again personally, if said I hated a film I would do it with more than a vague recollection of a film. Again to be more constructive, I thought Loman's central performance was great and this was Raimi's return to form. His Spiderman is fine but what I really want to see from him is some full-on, even hilarious horror. My real complaint? Not enough Bruce Campbell! 8)
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:44 AM »
I have been hesitant about Drag Me to Hell because I don't want to be disappointed by a Sam Raimi horror film.  But, even though I know verbALs only a little, his words are enough to give me the confidence that my 99 minutes will not be ill-spent.   :)

@Bondo, [regarding Drag Me to Hell [...]I thought Loman's central performance was great and this was Raimi's return to form. His Spiderman is fine but what I really want to see from him is some full-on, even hilarious horror. My real complaint? Not enough Bruce Campbell! 8)

Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2011, 07:46:03 AM »
I have been hesitant about Drag Me to Hell because I don't want to be disappointed by a Sam Raimi horror film.  But, even though I know verbALs only a little, his words are enough to give me the confidence that my 99 minutes will not be ill-spent.   :)

@Bondo, [regarding Drag Me to Hell [...]I thought Loman's central performance was great and this was Raimi's return to form. His Spiderman is fine but what I really want to see from him is some full-on, even hilarious horror. My real complaint? Not enough Bruce Campbell! 8)

..and taking my opinion over Bondo's?...I am honoured!
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2011, 07:56:23 AM »

..and taking my opinion over Bondo's?...I am honoured!

I respect you both.  I just needed some encouragement to get me to try Drag and you provided it.  Thank you for that.   :)

I have the same reticence towards My Soul to Take.  Anybody with some kind words to get me to chance my time on my guy Wes Craven?  VerbALs?  Bondo?  1SO?

I hate being disappointed by a director I like.  Sometimes I need a push.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2011, 08:31:42 AM »
@Verbals, I am 100% sure I hated the film when I saw it and if you had asked me to expand on it right after I had seen it I am sure I could have offered concrete reasons. The fact that those reasons have faded doesn't seem like a good reason to start qualifying the general response that I still remember. FWIW, I also hated Evil Dead 2, mostly because it is hokey and illogical. I don't like the Spiderman series much either. I'm not a Raimi guy at all. The best thing he has directed is For Love Of The Game.

Interesting that half of your review is a commentary on expectations of nudity. I was mostly disappointed in Land of the Dead, so the reboot of Diary was an unexpected good time, even if it is like you said, just a basic level of enjoyment. Can't remember if it was this film or the prior that had my 2nd favorite zombie kill with the acid. (Nothing has come close to topping the helicopter blade in Dawn.) I also loved the image of the zombies in the pool, though I remember that being the last interesting moment of the film.

Yeah, acid kill was Diary. The helicopter kill isn't the coolest kill as an idea, but as execution it is so brilliant.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2011, 08:33:41 AM »
@Verbals - Hopkins went on to play Lector, which is the type of role that can seep into everything you do, but there was never a moment where I thought he did something Lector-esque.

I'll give any director another chance if I feel like I'm the one missing out. Took me about 6 films before Another Year followed by a rewatch of Naked got me to appreciate and now praise Mike Leigh. It was years before I came around on John Ford and now I love his work.

@jim brown - Something happened with My Soul to Take during Production. Nobody cared enough to get specifics but even Wes has disowned that one. Every now and then Craven abandons all his senses and puts out a Deadly Friend or Cursed or The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1985). He should make a film like New Nightmare where he explains that those films were made by his evil twin.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
FWIW, I also hated Evil Dead 2, mostly because it is hokey and illogical. I don't like the Spiderman series much either. I'm not a Raimi guy at all. The best thing he has directed is For Love Of The Game.

Okay - maybe I don't respect Bondo after all.   ;)

[joking]

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2011, 08:41:26 AM »
@Verbals - Hopkins went on to play Lector, which is the type of role that can seep into everything you do, but there was never a moment where I thought he did something Lector-esque.

I'll give any director another chance if I feel like I'm the one missing out. Took me about 6 films before Another Year followed by a rewatch of Naked got me to appreciate and now praise Mike Leigh. It was years before I came around on John Ford and now I love his work.

@jim brown - Something happened with My Soul to Take during Production. Nobody cared enough to get specifics but even Wes has disowned that one. Every now and then Craven abandons all his senses and puts out a Deadly Friend or Cursed or The Hills Have Eyes Part II (1985). He should make a film like New Nightmare where he explains that those films were made by his evil twin.

I liked Deadly Friend!  It's why I never play basketball!   :)

love