Author Topic: October 2011 MDC: Oh the Horror!!  (Read 7491 times)

fransisco4

Re: October 2011 MDC: Oh the Horror!!
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Peacefulanarchy gets Cannibal Holocaust, not strictly horror, but the best I can do.

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 09:48:37 PM »
Considering its reputation and my dislike for gore I think it'll be plenty horror.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »
Considering its reputation and my dislike for gore I think it'll be plenty horror.

Oh God! Please dictate something else. He'll never participate again. Cannibal Holocaust is a film you should only watch willingly.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 03:48:27 PM »
I hear the worst part of Holocaust are just animal brutality scenes. Are they any worse than Franju's Blood of the Beasts?

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 04:26:19 PM »
I hear the worst part of Holocaust are just animal brutality scenes. Are they any worse than Franju's Blood of the Beasts?

Haven't seen Blood of the Beasts, but there's much more than animal brutality, including explicit rapes that the film takes perverse delight in.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 05:13:52 PM »

Blood of the Beasts is just documenting a slaughterhouse process that would go on regardless. A film that brutalizes animals simply for the sake of entertainment is crossing a whole different line I expect.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »

Blood of the Beasts is just documenting a slaughterhouse process that would go on regardless. A film that brutalizes animals simply for the sake of entertainment is crossing a whole different line I expect.

Well I'm not talking about the ethics, just about how graphic the content is.

fransisco4

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2011, 09:36:26 PM »

Not THAT graphic, although it's possible that my memory is just protecting me.
Well I'm not talking about the ethics, just about how graphic the content is.

Not THAT graphic, although it's possible that my memory is just protecting me. I would be more descriptive but I can't find the damn spoiler tool. The IMDB page has a pretty thorough list. And to be fair, both actors and the director have said that they later felt like shit for doing the movie, that has to count for something.
I'm not recommending it just for the shock value, I actually believe the film has a message to deliver and it manages to do so in a maybe not entertaining fashion, but certainly an interesting one.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2011, 09:48:14 PM »
I'm not recommending it just for the shock value, I actually believe the film has a message to deliver and it manages to do so in a maybe not entertaining fashion, but certainly an interesting one.

But you're dictating it to somebody who dislikes gore. Do you think he'll be able to see the message through the really, really hardcore violence and gore?

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »
But you're dictating it to somebody who dislikes gore. Do you think he'll be able to see the message through the really, really hardcore violence and gore?

Based on what I've heard I doubt I'll be able to see past the gore, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I have been curious about the movie, but the low odds of me caring for it have kept me away. It's not like my feelings towards gore are going to change, so now is as good a time as any and worst case I'll turn it off part way through. I'll try to get to it this weekend so we'll soon find out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 10:56:01 PM by PeacefulAnarchy »

love