Poll

Who should be the interim Filmspotting co-host?   (The Sam Van Hallgren Memorial List)

Michael Phillips
38 (23.3%)
AO Scott
7 (4.3%)
Matt Singer
18 (11%)
Alison Willmore
27 (16.6%)
Steve Prokopy
6 (3.7%)
Scott Tobias
8 (4.9%)
Dana Stevens
21 (12.9%)
Dave Chen
5 (3.1%)
Tasha Robinson
16 (9.8%)
The ubiquitous "Other"
10 (6.1%)
Chris Klimeck
5 (3.1%)
Matt Zoller Seitz
2 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author Topic: Who should be the interim Filmspotting co-host?  (Read 32480 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: Who should be the interim Filmspotting co-host?
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
My top vote would be for Phillips as I believe he has the perfect amount of wit and insight.  Of the Chicago critics, my next choice would be Larsen.  He has been great the few times on filmspotting, but I still want a bit more personality from him and I assume that if he were a co-host that would definitely shine through.  I am unsure if Larsen can add some humor to the show, which has been slightly lacking since Matty left.  No matter who is sitting beside Adam I will always be listening.  Keep up the great work.

I hope I'm wrong, and that Josh grows into himself and that his personality shines through a bit more as the show goes on,
Not being defensive, truly... I'm not expecting everyone to being instantly on board, and the fact is, the show WILL be different without Matty. It will be less overtly comedic, for sure. But he's actually only had one show as co-host, so growing into himself and showing more personality only seems inevitable.

Not sure everyone recalls, but the first 4-6 shows with Matty were pretty brutal. And I say that as the guy who was by FAR the primary reason they were so.

One of the good things about Josh is he has had over 10 years developing his critical voice. He'll keep being himself, but yeah, just hopefully getting more comfortable as we develop some chemistry.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #121 on: January 24, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »
....And to give a counterpoint there are those of us who already love him.

He seems to have a deep as well as broad knowledge about movies. I listened to the extras where he went through the trial of the pantheon with excellent results.

But more important than that: he's got a voice that is pleasant to listen to, good chemistry with Adam and a nice personality.

I look forward to the continuation!
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #122 on: January 24, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
He seems to have a deep as well as broad knowledge about movies. I listened to the extras where he went through the trial of the pantheon with excellent results.
I would definitely recommend DarkCrystal listen to the bonus content if haven't done so already.

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

Monco

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2012, 05:20:54 PM »

I hope I'm wrong, and that Josh grows into himself and that his personality shines through a bit more as the show goes on, because I do think he brings some nice analysis to the table, and obviously has legit film knowledge (sounds like he really enjoys exploring obscure indies) to bring to the show. 

Let's wait and see. When Sam left the show, I really thought that no one could replace him. Matty however performed beyond any expectations I had.
However, I still think that Sam was the best co-host so far in my opinion, altough it should be said that everyone brings something different to the table.
 I recently went back to listen to all of the old shows in chronological order and I really had a blast. Some of Sam's remarks are classics. "Age appropriate chracter delivery device", "this movie is comically bad" (Suspiria review). I love those bold statements by Sam.
Also, I really loved the heated debates (Sin City, American Dreamz, Suspiria). I hope you will disagree to such an extent from time to time as well!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:28:00 PM by Monco »

DarkCrystal

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
I would definitely recommend DarkCrystal listen to the bonus content if haven't done so already.

Will do!  Although I seem to be having some trouble finding the Filmspotting Android app in their marketplace.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2012, 11:45:20 AM »
All the co-hosts during this interim period were excellent, Adam, and I trust your choices. 

My only advice to Josh (should he be reading):  We can tell that you are passionate about film.  You have so much knowledge and we look forward to learning from you.  So allow that passion to be felt.  Adam is great, but he's the backbone of the show.  No matter what, he will be there to keep things on track, to calm things down if they get too crazy.  That gives you freedom to be your own kind of crazy.  Not Matty's kind of crazy (as great as that was), but I know you must have rants in your mind you are just dying to speak out.  You've got connections between films you want to express.  Don't let Adam's "safe" nature hold you back.  Because he's there, you have the freedom to let your hair down (so to speak)-- go for it!

I can't wait to see how the show morphs again.  It will be great.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

Will do!  Although I seem to be having some trouble finding the Filmspotting Android app in their marketplace.
Only available through Amazon right now. But also available on our site.

DarkCrystal

« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2012, 12:48:33 PM »
All the co-hosts during this interim period were excellent, Adam, and I trust your choices. 

My only advice to Josh (should he be reading):  We can tell that you are passionate about film.  You have so much knowledge and we look forward to learning from you.  So allow that passion to be felt.  Adam is great, but he's the backbone of the show.  No matter what, he will be there to keep things on track, to calm things down if they get too crazy.  That gives you freedom to be your own kind of crazy.  Not Matty's kind of crazy (as great as that was), but I know you must have rants in your mind you are just dying to speak out.  You've got connections between films you want to express.  Don't let Adam's "safe" nature hold you back.  Because he's there, you have the freedom to let your hair down (so to speak)-- go for it!

Nice post.

Adam - Thanks for the app info, I didn't know it was amazon only!

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

Nice post.

Adam - Thanks for the app info, I didn't know it was amazon only!
Cool, yeah, the link is on our app page.

TalkingElvish

• Interviews and Reviews
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2012, 01:31:55 AM »

Yes! Fantastic post and my sentiments exactly, and the earlier poster who mentioned what a great radio voice Josh has. Really, ease up and let go, get opinionated and have an occasional rant. Welcome to this ever-expanding global community Josh.