love

Author Topic: Martin dusts off some DVDs  (Read 1792 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Martin dusts off some DVDs
« on: October 11, 2011, 11:14:36 PM »
To me, a DVD collection is meant to be watched.  I don't like these guys who buy everything in the $5 bin at Best Buy just for the sake of having a 1500+ collection to impress people.  My collection is supposed to be movies I love.  However, I don't spend enough time revisiting my discs, usually only rewatching a movie when a Blu-Ray comes out.  So now I'm forcing myself to watch everything I own that I haven't seen in the past 5 years.  Some I've only seen once.  Some are in my top 100.  Some are copies I made of things I wasn't sure I wanted to buy.  Some I only have because they're in a box set with other stuff.  But I'm going to watch them all.  The only exceptions made are for movies where I anticipate a Blu-Ray release in the near future.

I won't be rushing through this marathon, gonna take my time with it and watch one when the mood strikes me.

Not watched since 2005:
Heaven
The Mirror

Not watched since 2006:
Wallace and Gromit: Curse of the Were-Rabbit
Drifting Clouds
In the Heat of the Sun
Hamlet Goes Business
L'Argent
The Passenger
Fata Morgana
Stalker
The 400 Blows
Antoine et Collette
Bed and Board
Stolen Kisses
Love on the Run
Abhijaan

Not watched since 2007:
The Wicker Man
Goodfellas
Rope
The Trouble With Harry
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Marnie
Topaz
Torn Curtain
Family Plot
Torment
Fires on the Plain
Lola
The Burmese Harp
Sansho the Bailiff
Scarlet Street
Blazing Saddles
Inland Empire
Woman in the Dunes
Pitfall
The Face of Another
Lolita
An Angel at My Table
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket
A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey
Innocence
Fantastic Planet
Eyes Wide Shut
Nostalghia
Who's Camus Anyway?
Drugstore Cowboy
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 08:33:00 PM by MartinTeller »

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Martin dusts off some DVDs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »
I love these kind of marathons, especially when they include re-evaluations of highly cherished movies. Plus I notice quite a few familiar titles, which is a plus because you often get into movies that we haven't seen (or sometimes even heard of). I expect this will generate a lot more feedback and discussion.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:12:43 PM »
Yeah I'm looking forward to this.  I like exploring new stuff, but several of my marathons have ended up with me seeing a lot of movies I wasn't that crazy about.  While there are a few on here that I'm not looking forward to, for the most part it's things I want to see again.  It'll also give me a chance to possibly slim down my collection.

I might make this an annual thing, like next year around this time I'll do all the movies I haven't watched since 2007.  There's a lot more of those, though, over 100.

I like that I'm not pressuring myself to rush through this one.  I'm trying to finish my current marathon before the end of the month (I should come fairly close), then there's Noir-vember, then I'm just going to leisurely divide my time between this marathon and random things I've been meaning to see.

Depending on how much Netflix/public library bestows upon me in the next few days, I might get to one or two of these this weekend.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:53:33 PM »
Intriguing. I wasn't even watching movies before 2006 (seriously, anyway), so I don't even have the gap of this marathon.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 03:47:43 PM »
Intriguing. I wasn't even watching movies before 2006 (seriously, anyway), so I don't even have the gap of this marathon.

I didn't make a hobby out of movie-watching until 2000 when I got my first DVD player.  I watched movies, of course, but my main passion before that was music.  I didn't start "seriously" watching movies until 2002 when I started tackling the Sight & Sound list.  2003 is when I began my review blog.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
Cool idea, Martin.  Looking forward to your thoughts on so many of these!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 10:01:03 PM »
Closing this thread in the interest of generating more discussion in the general Write About thread.  I'm still proceeding with the goal, just don't need a special thread for it.

love