Author Topic: When the discussion died...  (Read 28326 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: When the discussion died...
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 11:23:33 PM »
I have a lot of hesitation about this. Going to take it on a case by case basis, but I will definitely consider posting more in the main reviews thread.

I would like to say to those of you who do not go to the Marathon Thread, you are missing out on some the best board discussions, because there is a focus missing in the general Movie Thread. You watch an opinion build and change over the course of multiple movies. It's something I think would be lacking if Mr. & Mrs. 1SOs Merry Musical Marathon wasn't in its own thread. (I would also add that the Definitive Bond marathon fits perfectly in the Marathon thread, since I can see others going down the same path in the future.

I definitely plan to finish my Directors of Shame Marathon in its current format. I'm in the homestretch.

I also hope Bondo will agree with me to keep the Mike Leigh Retrospective as is for consistency sake.

I will probably use the new format for my next Marathon, a combination of filmmakers Akira Kurosawa, Francois Truffaut and Satyajit Ray.

How come we're not making the same suggestion for the Movie Dictator Club sub board? I see the difficulty with the MDC, but it seems to me that the List of Shame reviews should get the same link treatment, especially if you keep the main thread which already links to deshamed reviews.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
  • “By any seeds necessary.”
    • justAtad
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:34 PM »
How about we post all, or most, reviews in the Write About thread, with a link back to the marathon or MDC or List of Shame thread? If discussion starts to take over on a marathon movie, we just move it over to that marathon's thread.
"We didn't clean the hamster's cage, the hamster's cage cleaned us!"

Can't get enough FroHam? Read more of my musings at justAtad

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:32:27 PM »
If we are okay with linking within the forum with blog posts, then why can't someone post a shortened (or whatever) review in the "Write about" thread then link to the marathon post like some do with their blog post.  Then you may get more discussion within that thread and specifics or if the discussion goes on too long can be continued in the marathon thread.  It's unfortunate that more people don't venture in the marathon pages, but I do understand.  When I haven't been to the forum in a bit, I go straight the the "Write about" thread, it's the thread I always keep up with. 
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »
I guess you were reading my mind Froham, while I was in the middle of writing my post.  :)
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 11:35:39 PM »
I think that's probably the best solution here. I really do want to read what you write about movies, I just don't want to have to keep going back and forth between the marathons and the directors and the MDC and all that jazz.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 11:38:49 PM »
Haha, yeah. I think the problem with the marathon threads is that it's like a mental barrier. Unless I'm specifically interested in whatever the topic is, I'm not necessarily inclined to click every one. But if I see an interesting review in the Write About thread that then links to a discussion about that film in a marathon thread, I'd be more likely to read everything.

Even my marathon, there's no topic, and not everybody would be naturally interested in a thread full of my own opinions, but I used the gimmick of members choosing the films to get people interested in what I have to say. But even then, I'm sure there are people who submitted a list for my marathon and wont read anything until their films come up. They'd be more likely to read and interact with me if the reviews were in the Write About thread.

The Write About thread is a great catch-all and jumping off point.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 11:44:57 PM »
There are some marathons that work better separately, like the SERIOUS COOL one, which has a unique format, or Forhamp's which involved a lot of up-front negotiations. But most marathons are people watching a group of movies that have something in common. Those similarities can still be touched on in Write About reviews. We'll follow you, we're smart, you're smart.

FroHam X

• Objectively Awesome
    • justAtad
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 11:46:24 PM »
I'm smart? Jeez, Junior, speak for yourself.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
I have a lot of hesitation about this. Going to take it on a case by case basis, but I will definitely consider posting more in the main reviews thread.

I would like to say to those of you who do not go to the Marathon Thread, you are missing out on some the best board discussions, because there is a focus missing in the general Movie Thread. You watch an opinion build and change over the course of multiple movies. It's something I think would be lacking if Mr. & Mrs. 1SOs Merry Musical Marathon wasn't in its own thread. (I would also add that the Definitive Bond marathon fits perfectly in the Marathon thread, since I can see others going down the same path in the future.

I definitely plan to finish my Directors of Shame Marathon in its current format. I'm in the homestretch.

I also hope Bondo will agree with me to keep the Mike Leigh Retrospective as is for consistency sake.

I will probably use the new format for my next Marathon, a combination of filmmakers Akira Kurosawa, Francois Truffaut and Satyajit Ray.

How come we're not making the same suggestion for the Movie Dictator Club sub board? I see the difficulty with the MDC, but it seems to me that the List of Shame reviews should get the same link treatment, especially if you keep the main thread which already links to deshamed reviews.

I think the marathons with a coherent them (musicals, horror, noir, Bond) make a lot of sense and value is added by having the reviews in separate threads.  The more random marathons, though, could just as well go in the Write About thread.

I'd still like to see the directors threads used more.  I like what roujin's been doing in that sense, and would suggest that your upcoming marathon (Kurosawa, Ray, Truffaut) might be useful there.  Especially since Martin's been doing great things in the Satyajit Ray thread.

The funny thing, to me, is that I remember when the complaint was that the Write About thread was being cluttered with too much discussion, and people were being encouraged to take such things to other threads (which was one of the reasons the whole idea of a directors sub-board started).

I'm curious about what goes on in the MDC sub-board.  Seems like people are writing about movies there?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »
I like the idea of the director threads, too. I still have the problem of avoiding the people I know nothing about. Again, if you post the review to the Write About thread and then link to that post in the director thread I think it would work great. It'd be nice to have a thorough index of reviews of a certain director's films.