Author Topic: 2012: year of The Batman  (Read 17510 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: 2012: year of The Batman
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 01:10:01 PM »
Sam, if you liked Long Halloween and are soon to read Dark Victory, add Haunted Knight to your list as well (Loeb/Sale)
Added to my wishlist. I might pick up Batman: Year One soon as it's rather cheap right now.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »
I was always partial to the O'Neil/Adams run from back in the 1970s, which spawned, among other things, Ra's al Ghul.

For a general overview, BATMAN: THE GREATEST STORIES EVER TOLD (volumes one and two) is a good resource. (Fair warning: you must be able to take the good with the bad, the camp with the cape.)

If you're feeling a tad adventurous, check out the BLACK & WHITE series. (Just beware diminishing returns.)

And I, of course, echo this:

HOWEVER- Miller's The Dark Knight [Returns] and Batman: Year One are absolutely the place to start.

But, whatever you do, do not read THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 02:55:48 PM »
It's just strange isn't it? I did love The Atom in the test tube sequence tho'.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 09:49:23 PM »
Oh, I'm loving this. Thanks guys.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 10:18:43 PM »
The Grant Morrison run is really good (don't listen to GothamCity on this! ;D). It is Batman set in the DC Universe though, so if seeing him be more super-hero than Chris Nolan-vigilante isn't your thing, you might not want to check it out (don't worry, Batman is still badass).

Batman: Batman and Son (collects Batman #655-58, #663-666)
Batman: The Ressurection of Ra's Al Ghul (collects Batman #670-671, Robin #168-169, Nightwing #138-139, Detective Comics #838-840)
Batman: The Black Glove (collects Batman #667-669, #672-675)
Batman: Batman RIP (collects Batman #676-683)
Batman: Time and the Batman (collects Batman #700-702)
Batman and Robin: Batman Reborn (collects Batman and Robin #1-6)
Batman and Robin: Batman vs. Robin (collects Batman and Robin #7-12)
Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne (collects The Return of Bruce Wayne #1-6)*
Batman and Robin: Batman and Robin Must Die (collects Batman and Robin #13-16)*
Batman Inc. (collects Batman Inc. #1-7)
Batman: Leviathan #1-12 (has yet to even come out as single issues)

*Takes place at the same time, but I'd recommend reading The Return before Must Die

I'm a big comic book guy. I read about 40 titles a month and started back in '99. Although I only really found stuff I enjoyed from '01 to now.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:32:51 PM by StudentOFilm »
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »
Actually Edgar, this might be a good time to check out the new run. DC have "reset" their universe. Grant Morrisson has restarted the Batman series. The online reader which you can use on iPads, iPhones or on a desktop is very good. The new run is into issue two or three. The whole point is to do away with all the confusion of a 50 year canon of stories and start again fresh. Issue 1 was good not great but it seems a very good time to start following along.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
A lot of Batman's pre-New 52 relaunch continuity and events is still there. In fact DC made the point of saying the relaunch would have very little effect on the Batman and Green Lantern family titles (although stuff like Batwing, Batgirl, and Catwoman have changed). Plus, Morrison isn't writing any of the current Bat series although Scott Snyder (his American Vampire is so good) and Pete Tomasi are doing an absolutely amazing job.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 12:52:11 PM »
Sorry Morrison is doing the Superman relaunch. The first Detective Comics was brutal.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 12:02:22 PM »
In the last couple of weeks I have purchased two volumes of the very first Batman/Detective comics issues, The Long Halloween and The Dark Knight Returns. I won't read them until we get a bit closer to 2012, probably during my inevitable holiday break where I won't be working for 9-10 days between Christmas and the New Year.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. As mentioned earlier, the closer we get to 2012, I'll start posting a list of comics I'll be reading, in chronological order of their publication.
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
I've got both of those, so I'm glad you're starting there while I don't have spare funds.  ;)