Author Topic: 2012: year of The Batman  (Read 17526 times)

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
  • corndogs are better than Die Another Day
    • Between The Seats
Re: 2012: year of The Batman
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »
It's been a month since any updates.

A couple days ago I paid another visit to the comics section of the bookstore

Year One by Frank Miller
Volume 3 of the old Detective Comics archives
Eye of the Beholder by Tony Daniel

I noticed a series of books titled Gotham Central, which obviously concentrate on the stories of the Gotham City police force. That sounds like an awesome idea. Has anybody read those and, if so, are they any good?

-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

https://twitter.com/Betweentheseats
http://crabkeyheadquarters.wordpress.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
I'm probably going to follow along with parts of this if I have some extra reading time over winter break. Did you ever post that Batman: Year One film review?

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »
I'm probably going to follow along with parts of this if I have some extra reading time over winter break. Did you ever post that Batman: Year One film review?

The more, the merrier.

No, I never wrote it. Doesn't mean I won't, but it will wait until the new year (preferably after having read the comic too).
-Le Chiffre: You changed your shirt, Mr Bond. I hope our little game isn't causing you to perspire.

-James Bond: A little. But I won't consider myself to be in trouble until I start weeping blood.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2011, 03:04:52 PM »
Interesting, I shall anticipate it then. I watched the film, but have not read the comic. Didn't respond overly well to the film, but GothamCity and others assure me that the comic addresses many of my problems with the movie.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2011, 03:06:47 PM »
I will probably pick up Batman Year One.

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2011, 04:24:42 PM »
I put a few of the better one-offs on my Christmas list. Hush and The Long Halloween and Noel and The Killing Joke, I think.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Year One is good, I hated Eye of the Beholder. Gotham Central is CINECAST!ing amazing. As is most stuff by Rucka and Brubaker.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 06:33:42 PM »
I wish I knew this thread was here beforehand, being the Batman fan that I am. As for some things to pick up, if you want more recent Bat stuff, definitely pick up Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo's Joker. It really digs into Batman's greatest foe and shows him as more brutal, sadistic, and crazy as he has ever been. It is quite similar to Nolan's Joker, coincidently. To go along with that, Lee Bermejo's solo effort Batman: Noel that came out a few weeks ago is breathtaking, and my review of it can be found here. I would also highly recommend picking up Scott Snyder's current run on the Batman title. He is crafting a very special story that I believe will go down as one of the best runs on the title. Tony Daniel's current Detective Comics run is pretty good. It's a fun book, but it really isn't anything substantial, though it does have some great cliffhangers. Geoff John's Justice League has a pretty good Bat characterization as well. If you want more supernatural-esque type stuff in your Batman comics, I'd go with something like Batman And The Monster Men by Matt Wagner. If you want more Nolan-esque stuff, you can't go wrong with Jeph Loeb's Hush, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory, even if Hush does not really have a satisfying ending. You may notice that the stuff I am recommending is Bruce Wayne Batman. I am of the opinion that the two are one in the same, which is why it bothers me when people put Dick Grayson or whomever else under that cowl. When that is done, you lose the true meaning of why this Bat was created. So, whatever you pick up, I hope it's Wayne sporting the cape and cowl.

edgar00

• 00 Agent
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Between The Seats
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:53:46 AM »
Year One is good, I hated Eye of the Beholder. Gotham Central is CINECAST!ing amazing. As is most stuff by Rucka and Brubaker.

Without giving too much plot detail away, why so down on Eye of the Beholder?

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
It just doesn't measure up the quality I expected. I read so many comics that I just find myself saying, "why bother reading this when there are at least 10-20 other books being published that blow it out of the water." I do it with movies/TV/music/etc. as well, but more so with comics because of budgetary and time concerns. I'm in the minority on this one. A lot of people said it was fun, but I just couldn't get over how much better it could be.

Daniel has certainly greatly improved as a writer since he started with Battle for the Cowl (also a Batman storyline), but in my opinion, he doesn't compare at all to his peers/colleagues on other Bat-books or other writers in general (at DC or otherwise). Which is a shame because I'd love to be able to be objective and take each book for what its worth, but that gets hard to accomplish when these characters are part of a shared universe and some (Batman and Superman or Wolverine at Marvel) appear in multiple titles at once.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard