love

Author Topic: Filmspotters Top 100 Directors 2011 : FYC and Your Lists  (Read 41022 times)

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
Re: Filmspotters Top 100 Directors 2011 : FYC and Your Lists
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
Love the list, sdedalus. Did you watch all those Satyajit Ray films over the past year?

Re: women direcors - Last year 5 women directors (Denis, Varda, Bigelow, Ramsay and Campion) made the list. It's a small number but it's something. Am hoping that they'll stay on the list. Ramsay, Campion, Elaine May and Lucile Hadzihalilovic are probably at a disadvantage because of their short filmographies.

Campion has a rather sizable filmography.  Not counting her short films, she has 8 features which is a lot compared to Ramsay, May, and Hadzihalilovic, respectively.  But Filmspotting Forum-wise, majority probably has seen Bright Star and/or The Piano.  The number of fans here of Angel at My Table and/or Sweetie is very small compared to the aforementioned segment.  So it's kind of more like Campion has a filmography of 4 features  ;D
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 02:37:36 PM »
Oh man, sdedalus, you gotta watch more Denis.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 02:38:34 PM »
That's what I've been saying!
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Maybach School of Film Studies
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 02:42:19 PM »
Watching those lists I think to myself that I need to look up more films directed by women. And write about them. How else is anything going to change?

Lobby, this poll (scroll down about a 1/4 of the way) was a great resource for me years ago.  It's from 2002, though, and is canonical.  Off the top, the biggest omission (lamentable and criminal, really) at the time of publication is Kim Longinotto.  Superlative documentarian.  She already had done 4 great documentaries by 2002.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 02:46:19 PM by Verite »
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 02:50:53 PM »
1. Sita Sings the Blues
2. Jeanne Dielman
3. Cleo from 5 to 7
4. Orlando
5. Morvern Callar
6. Meek's Cutoff
7. The Heartbreak Kid
8. Bright Star
9. 35 Shots of Rum
10. The Hitch-hiker
Approximately where do each of these place on your master list?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 04:16:59 PM »
173, 116, 183, 383, 384, 446, 549, 772, 666, 983
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 04:22:44 PM »
Sorry for linking outside the blog thread but in response to this discussion I wrote on the topic.

Recognizing Female Directors

Includes a list of my top recommended female directed films as well as a long list of female directed films I am looking forward to catching up with, hopefully in the next year.

A brief outline for forum discussion purposes.
1. Women rock at documentaries (and likely short films) because they have lower barriers to entry.
2. There are a fair few directors who are daughters or husbands of other directors, and many actresses turned directors. Connections matter for everyone of course, but I think they'd matter more for women.
3. Women have had a ton of success in comedy when it comes to box-office, not so much elsewhere.
4. I suspect that male directors are remembered more or advertised more with relation to their films than female directors are. Nora Ephron and Nancy Myers are arguably two of the most successful female directors and they don't have near the popular weight as the major male directors.
5. As many female directed films have been made in the past 10 years as the rest of film history.

P.S. I had seen 10% of the films on the Criticker list. I don't think my rate on a similarly comprehensive list of male films would come anywhere close to that.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 04:35:08 PM by Bondo »

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 05:39:33 PM »
Barbara Kopple (seen 2), Penelope Spheeris (seen 2), Amy Heckerling (seen 6, but only 2 are good), Nora Ephron (seen 2), Nicole Holofcener (seen 2), Agnieska Holland (seen 1, but her TV series work is very good).

Larisa Shepitko has her Criterion Eclipse films on Hulu that I've been meaning to watch. If I do, I will have seen. . . two of her films.  This is just getting weird.
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »

Campion has a rather sizable filmography.  Not counting her short films, she has 8 features which is a lot compared to Ramsay, May, and Hadzihalilovic, respectively.  But Filmspotting Forum-wise, majority probably has seen Bright Star and/or The Piano.  The number of fans here of Angel at My Table and/or Sweetie is very small compared to the aforementioned segment.  So it's kind of more like Campion has a filmography of 4 features  ;D

You're completely right, of course :). I've actually now watched all 4 of those and had all of them in mind but stupidly forgot about the others I haven't watched.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 06:44:24 PM by worm@work »

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
173, 116, 183, 383, 384, 446, 549, 772, 666, 983
Cool. Your precision is impressive.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love