Author Topic: At Close Range  (Read 5826 times)

mrbadexample

At Close Range
« on: November 05, 2011, 07:03:38 PM »
I'd say this is overlooked and excellent to boot...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/at_close_range/

Any thoughts?

jim brown

• Elite Member
Re: At Close Range
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 07:41:48 PM »
Very good movie, if not for the performances alone.
Kevin: Yes, why does there have to be evil?

Supreme Being: I think it has something to do with free will.

-------------------------------------------------------

Verna: I suppose you think you raised hell.

Tom: Sister, when I've raised hell you'll know it.

mrbadexample

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:09 PM »
Just for the Zevon fans I guess? This is much less overlooked than that indie masterpiece nobody saw, Amelie, or any Tim Burton film, he's clearly underexposed.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 06:19:11 PM »
What do you mean by "Zevon fans"?

Why the comparison to Tim Burton?

What do you mean by "he's clearly underexposed"? Are you saying Zevon is underexposed?

I remember At Close Range firstly because of the Madonna song "Live to Tell". When I saw the film I thought the performances were very mannered. (The risk of playing Sean Penn opposite Christopher Walken with a moustache.)

The film is not as good as Amelie, nor is it as good as most Tim Burton. It meanders a lot for the first half, but does get pretty good by the end.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:12 PM »
For me, the truly overlooked James Foley film is After Dark, My Sweet

mrbadexample

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 04:52:06 PM »
For me, the truly overlooked James Foley film is After Dark, My Sweet.

Can't overlook the James Foley touch (not being sarcastic) on that one but I hate Jason Patrick, I genuinely can't watch most of his movies, I own NARC but only owing to strong supporting performances IMO.

jim brown

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 05:07:33 PM »
I love Jason Patric in this movie.  I do think that he's been disappointing and affected in subsequent movies, but I think he is excellent in After Dark, My Sweet.  (Rachel Ward and Bruce Dern are outstanding as well.)

mrbadexample

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 05:11:11 PM »
What do you mean by "Zevon fans"?

Why the comparison to Tim Burton?

What do you mean by "he's clearly underexposed"? Are you saying Zevon is underexposed?

I remember At Close Range firstly because of the Madonna song "Live to Tell". When I saw the film I thought the performances were very mannered. (The risk of playing Sean Penn opposite Christopher Walken with a moustache.)

The film is not as good as Amelie, nor is it as good as most Tim Burton. It meanders a lot for the first half, but does get pretty good by the end.

Well, I think Amelie is a POS so clearly we have no middle ground on that but is "At Close Range" as good as most Tim Burton? I suppose you could make that argument, Burton doesn't really dabble in adult drama too often other than in Ed Wood, where clearly the material was so personal he broke through his adolescent malaise long enough to enjoy a genuine human relationship depicted on screen. Overall he is a hit or miss guy, he hits with Beetlejuice, Batman, Scissorhands and Mars Attacks, weird fun or schmaltz and whiffs at everything else, so maybe early Tim Burton? He is clearly a guy with serious issues, I think his divorce turned him into a hack for hire. I only brought him up because I saw Ed Wood and another Burton film on the "overlooked" list, which I thought was ridiculous. I am not trying to be rude but I have to ask, are you an American? I only inquire because you describe the acting in "At Close Range" as "mannered" and for those of us who have known people, especially in the rural parts of the mid atlantic, or just white trash (pardon the term) who speak and behave very similarly the characterizations are dead on.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 06:21:50 PM »
Raised in Florida. Living in Los Angeles.
I like that you use the term "characterizations" instead of characters. That's the key problem I had. When this kind of method acting is great, and actor can disappear into the part. When I watch True Romance I wonder if Walken really is Italian because he's so convincing. With At Close Range, Walken and Penn never turn these characterizations into characters. They don't digest the speech and behavior and internalize it. Sometimes you see a clown and sometimes you see a guy in Clown makeup. Penn was marvelous in Milk, but looked the fool in I Am Sam. I remember Mary Stuart Masterson coming off as much more authentic because she wasn't trying so hard to take on so many trash characteristics. She just used what worked for her and created a very convincing character. Walken and Penn were like dueling jugglers trying to keep too many plates spinning.

mrbadexample

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 04:35:35 PM »
Sometimes you see a clown and sometimes you see a guy in Clown makeup.

OK, point taken, so I have to confess to really just enjoying the movie so much, despite what may at times be a bit over the top. At some point yes, I am quite aware it's a sort of an acting showdown but given the talent on display, it's really very entertaining despite the artifice.

love