Author Topic: MOVIE OF THE WEEK (11/27/11): Woman in the Dunes  (Read 9530 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: MOVIE OF THE WEEK (11/27/11): Woman in the Dunes
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 03:22:22 AM »
I think that because I saw it as allegory the contrivances didn't bother me.

It is a lot like Hiroshama, mon amour in the camera work, though thematically, very different.
Texan Down Under

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 09:36:48 AM »
In the end he is as mindlessly devoted to his task as the insects he observed in the beginning? I'll do a quick refresher viewing, but that's sort of what I remember about it ultimately.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 12:03:05 PM »
@jrod: One important aspect of the salt content in the sand related to whether the sand could be used in cement according to the building codes. In this way it makes the whole task that much more meaningless because it isn't even useful sand, though there is probably some commentary about the immorality of the upper-class that it pushes on even though this cement will be dangerous.

Anyway, I do think sdedalus' take is an apt one and it is a thematically interesting film, but it was one where the pacing got the best of me and I didn't make it through.

My favorite thing: the great shots of sand cascades.

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
I think that because I saw it as allegory the contrivances didn't bother me.

I'm in the same boat, despite my above questions :)

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »
@jrod: One important aspect of the salt content in the sand related to whether the sand could be used in cement according to the building codes. In this way it makes the whole task that much more meaningless because it isn't even useful sand, though there is probably some commentary about the immorality of the upper-class that it pushes on even though this cement will be dangerous.

Why would the sand by her house be more salty though? Isn't there sand everywhere? And are the filmmakers not explaining very purposely?

sdedalus

• Objectively Awesome
  • I have a prestigious blog, sir!
    • The End of Cinema
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2011, 12:23:55 PM »
Wouldn't sand dunes near the ocean have a higher salt content?
The End of Cinema

Seattle Screen Scene

"He was some kind of a man. What does it matter what you say about people?"

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
Everything near the ocean has a higher salt content, believe me.  You can taste the salt on the seabreeze.
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »
A few notes about what  is great about Woman in the Dunes:
-Cinematography
-the allegory of being trapped in daily life... not unlike Kafka's Metamorphosis, really.  The focus of this film is really focused about how society at large forces us to live in certain ways, to work on that daily grindstone.  Sure, there's candy, like the sex and the beauty of the harsh landscape, but no one really wants to live it.  But we are forced to because otherwise we are not granted freedom or the ability to survive.  It may not be subtle, but it's great.
-the erotic tension
-the unashamed fact of their lifestyle-- everyone knows how they live because so many others have been trapped just like our bug hunter.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2011, 08:12:52 PM »
When you think about it, the bug hunter ends up with everything any scientist (or person of a singular pursuit) really needs.  He has a project which interests him and requires daily attention, a woman to serve his needs, solitude and freedom from distraction, a roof over his head, rations, a stipend of sorts, and a bit of daily exercise to keep his body fit.  So is he really trapped or is he sitting pretty?
Texan Down Under

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
A reminder that discussion on Benny's Video will begin on Sunday!

Sorry I haven't been more active in this thread.  I should have rewatched WITD for the occasion but I've got so much other stuff on the plate right now.  BV is a little fresher in my memory, though. 

Anyone watch WITD for the purposes of participating in this thread?  Let's hear your thoughts!