Author Topic: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2011: Comments and Discussion  (Read 7223 times)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
Re: Filmspotters' Top 100 Directors 2011: Comments and Discussion
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »
Did more women directors make the 100 this year?

The majority of new additions to my list were woman and I believe Elaine May was the only one not to make it. Good to see.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 07:33:24 PM »
Last year I didn't have Hitch on my ballot, but this year I decided to be fully honest and put him on.

I just discovered that I put Rian J on my list but not Andrew S.  I originally dropped them both off because they each only had two films, but I needed to fill in my ballot, so I put Rian on.  Shouda put on Andrew.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:21:01 PM »
I switch the order of Tarr and Greenaway, and look what happens - one is substituted for the other!

"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
While I'm thrilled to have Tarr on the list, it sucks to lose Greenaway.  Next year, keep 'em both on your ballot!

Life as Fiction

• South of the Border, West of the Sun
    • Life as Fiction
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 02:34:26 AM »
Excited about participating next year.  Tried to make one, but just didn't feel ready.  Many classic masters I want to see a few more films from.

Tim

• Elite Member
  • Be excellent to each other
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 04:09:40 AM »
I had Tarr and Greenaway at 1 and 2 respectively! It's up to everyone else to get them both in the list.
"Only cinema narrows its concern down to its content, that is to its story. It should, instead, concern itself with its form, its structure." Peter Greenaway

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
Kitano made the list. That's all that matters. ;D

skjerva

• Godfather
  • I'm your audience.
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 01:41:07 PM »
had to leave the proceedings early, but overall i think i prefer 2011 to 2010.

i like that there are now a whopping 8 women represented over the previous 5, though not such a fan of Coppola (not seen SOMEWHERE but love THE VIRGIN SUICIDES). i can get behind Bigelow's inclusion, really like THE HURT LOCKER. never experienced Ramsay :/ my female directors, with my rank (which really isn't firmly set), followed by 2011>2010 rankings:

1. Kelly Reichardt 87>off
8. Agnès Varda 42>91
10. Catherine Breillat 96>off
12. Chantal Akerman off
14. Su Friedrich off
18. Claire Denis 26>37
33. Jil Godmilow off
49. Jane Campion 76>81

off. Sofia Coppola 98>off
off. Kathryn Bigelow 94>84
off. Lynne Ramsay 72>95

from worm's compilation biggest drops, i'm not invested enough in Gilliam or Lean to care and the others i think are over-rated.

from biggest climbers, i'm pleased as punch with all of them, all five being on my 50 :)

i'm pleased to see a lot of the new entries - Catherine Breillat, Kelly Reichardt, Tsai Ming-liang,  James Gray, Errol Morris, Michael Haneke, and Andrei Tarkovsky - and am either not familiar enough with others, or am somewhere between fine and cool. on the exits, am very happy to see the morally bankrupt Eastwood gone :) i also find CUCKOO'S NEST nasty, so am happy to see forman gone for that alone. there are a few others here i think are over-rated, but, you know, this is all a matter of taste, so there's that :) the only one i'm sad to see gone is Smith.

on my first vomiting of my list, i included Hitchcock, but as i remembered a couple i'd rather have on, he was an easy choice to go, and not only because he was going to be overly/well represented by others.

all and all a pretty decent list for anyone who stumbles upon it, right?

how about this game:

if you could slide one director up ten and one director down ten (and not off the list), what would you do?

i think i'd drop Malick 10 spots and move Reichardt up 10 :)

thanks again to worm and rouj :)
But I wish the public could, in the midst of its pleasures, see how blatantly it is being spoon-fed, and ask for slightly better dreams. 
                        - Iris Barry from "The Public's Pleasure" (1926)

jbissell

• Objectively Awesome
  • What's up, hot dog?
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 02:00:37 PM »
I'd move Melville up 10 and drop Cameron 10.

worm@work

• Godfather
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 02:12:02 PM »
Tough decision on who to move up. My first thought was Cocteau up and Nolan down. But actually I think I'd rather move Denis up thereby securing her a place in the Top 20 and I'd still move Nolan down.