love

Author Topic: #378: Golden Bricks 2011 / Girl with the Dragon Tattoo  (Read 5010 times)

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
Re: #378: Golden Bricks 2011 / Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011, 08:47:10 AM »
You'll get to vote. Later.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 10:44:33 PM »
'Take Shelter' is kind of a foregone conclusion, isn't it?  (asks one of the few 'Project Nim' fans).
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2011, 09:19:32 PM »
I vote for THE INTERRUPTERS.  It's the year's best documentary with distribution (the overall best is RESURRECT DEAD: THE MYSTERY OF THE TOYNBEE TILES), a Chicago movie, and its omission from the Oscar shortlist should only fuel Filmspotting Nation's support.

However, I don't feel like this year has as distinct a Golden Brick nominee as years past.  MOON and DOGTOOTH were such clear cut Filmspotting favorites, noticeably gaining attention from Adam and Matty, without whose love we may have missed out on such gems.  The closest film this year is DRIVE, though its star power may have precluded it from being nominated.  Gosling, Mulligan, and Winding Refn are Filmspotting All-Stars and I never felt that the film got the attention it deserved.  Many viewers may have ignored DRIVE for various reasons (looks like FAST SIX; came out in mid-fall for a short theatrical run), but Filmspotting listeners were pumped from the hype generated by the show, went to see it, and loved it.  For all these reasons and more, I nominate DRIVE for the Filmspotting Golden Brick.

Alan Smithee

• Elite Member
    • http://cherrypicker.tumblr.com/
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
Im kind of disappointed Terri or Submarine didn't even get a golden brick honorable mention.

This has been a pretty good year for first time directors.

Adam

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Filmspotting
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
Im kind of disappointed Terri or Submarine didn't even get a golden brick honorable mention.

This has been a pretty good year for first time directors.
Well, remember... the nominees were largely driven by listener emails and facebook comments. Terri got a few mentions, as we did discuss it. But I didn't like it as much as Matty. Submarine didn't knock me out either.
Follow Filmspotting on Twitter at http://twitter.com/filmspotting

Listen to Filmspotting at https://www.filmspotting.net/ and on Chicago Public Radio (91.5 FM)

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
I really liked Adam's review of "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.'  Unlike any other reviewers I have read, he was very specific about features of David Fincher's film that actually made it a lesser film.

In making the original film, I believe that the Niels Oplev and Noomi Rapace only had to worry about being consistently true to the plot and themes of the original source material, and they were fairly faithful to it (according to my spouse anyway).   I believe that David Fincher and Roony Mara had to worry about:  (1) beng consistently true to the plot and themes of the original source material; AND (2) distinguishing their films/performance from Oplev/Rapace.  Adam's example about the sequence where Lisbeth's notebook computer is stolen demonstrates - how Fincher changes it - shows that the pursuit of purpose (2) tends to undermine purpose (1).  As a result, there are very few remakes that are better than the originals ('Brothers' and 'Insomnia' are the only recent examples that I can think of in my own opinion).

That said, I am sick of hearing this tired argument that there is nothing wrong with having two great films covering the exact same subject - at least where it involves a filmmaker like David Fincher.  Why?  Because - particularly in this case where Fincher has signed on to three pictures - the re-making of a film necessarily draws resources (e.g., 3-5 years of a talented director's life) away from ORIGINAL projects.  The remake trend really does do damage to the art of film (if not the commerce).

letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

crunchewy

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 01:04:06 PM »
The list of Golden Brick nominees on the website is in alphabetical order, unlike the show. Anyone already do the work of making a list in show order? For those of us OCD and who want to watch them all in order? Ok, so I can go back and listen again, but surely somebody's done this, right? :)

EDIT: ah, seeing them in order is a bit of trick since some aren't available on DVD or Netflix streaming yet I see, so I guess that's out the window anyway.

And... I went ahead and made the show order list anyway:

Another Earth (DVD)
Certified Copy (Stream)
Martha Marcy May Marlene
Meek's Cutoff (DVD/Stream)
Take Shelter
Win Win (DVD)
The Interrupters
Project Nim
Bill Cunningham New York (DVD/Stream)
The Arbor (DVD/Stream)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:27:53 PM by crunchewy »

crunchewy

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2012, 12:40:17 PM »
I wish all these were available from netflix (streaming or disc) before having been narrowed down to 5. Two of the movies in the remaining 5 aren't available yet on DVD or streaming, so I can't watch them yet. Oh well.

So far have seen Meek's Cuttof (in the theater a while back) which we loved, The Arbor on streaming (really loved it too) and Certified Copy (streaming) which neither of us really loved. It was fine, but I didn't have the appreciation for it that others seem to have, including Adam, not be a wide margin. It was an interesting exercise, but I didn't really care about the characters much and don't entirely see what the point of it was. I don't doubt that I just missed the point, as opposed to there not being one. I'm sure I missed it, but I don't have any desire to watch it again. We have Another Earth in the house from netflix, but won't get to see it until sometime next week.

Tenenbaums

• Ashvegas
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 10:53:47 AM »
[Certified Copy] was fine, but I didn't have the appreciation for it that others seem to have, including Adam, not be a wide margin. It was an interesting exercise, but I didn't really care about the characters much and don't entirely see what the point of it was. I don't doubt that I just missed the point, as opposed to there not being one. I'm sure I missed it, but I don't have any desire to watch it again.

Precisely my reaction!  I was so sidetracked by the "are they or aren't they" intrigue and the copy concept (which felt a bit underdeveloped) that I never got to know the characters well enough to invest in them.  Now, after having their relationship mostly cleared up, I wish I had the interest to revisit the film with that knowledge and discover "the point," but the filmmaking was so vanilla that I have no desire to do so.

Also, The Arbor should come with a disclaimer.  "Warning: BLEAK!"  Not sure why I excepted something lighter, but I was unprepared for what played out.  Fantastic film, but man...don't watch if you're having a bad day, unless you can view it as a "things could be worse" exercise.