13 (6.9%)
Marathons
14 (7.4%)
Stuff found under "No Movie Talk Allowed"
19 (10.1%)
Overlooked Films
2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?  (Read 7846 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?
« on: December 23, 2011, 11:34:27 AM »
There's been talk of "The Day The Discussion Died". We've lost Bill, FroHam and flieger. A lot of fun projects from a year ago are fading out. A lot of us are wondering why, and nobody has any answers. So I put this poll up to maybe help.

I've changed my marathon habits, posting reviews on the main page, but I'm not convinced that's much of a help. Mostly because I refuse to believe people don't venture out past the Movie Talk thread. Also, I'm not talking about populist films like with my Best of the 00s Marathon, so there isn't going to be that much discussion. Added to that, the Marathon thread itself is now just a Table of Contents, with my reviews scattered on another thread. It's awkward.

The other thing I've noticed is we are a lot of Indian Chiefs. We all have our own film goals. We'd love for others to join in our projects, but don't have the time to take part in someone else's. Bondo's been waiting about a month for me to get to Vera Drake and continue our Mike Leigh Marathon. I've also been working to complete my Directors of Shame and Totoro's been waiting for me to watch The Earrings of Madame De... since September. Now I have a small stack of 2011 screeners.

Movie of the Week was set up to be a solution. One film, watched by everyone. However, with everyone else having a similar backlog of their own films, who has time? Sadly, the biggest problem I can figure is most of us are here to post reviews and very few of us are here to discuss. There's been about 6 reviews of Tintin so far, but no Spoiler Thread. Nobody has anything further to talk about. It's just onto the next film. Losing Bill and FroHam was like losing two Supreme Court Justices. Contrarian, but excellent at oratory and stirring up debate.

Those are thoughts off the top of my head. I don't know if this poll will help, but it might at least provide some information.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 11:42:16 AM »
Games, Polls, MT, Spoiler Talk, reviews, film talk, Top 5s, Filmspots, Top 100s, Music, Chat, and No Movie Talk Allowed.

The 'best' threads are the "What Are You Playing?," "Music of 20XX," "Random Movie Thoughts/Questions," and miscellaneous TV/book/music/gaming threads. Also, the What Are You Doing/Learned/etc things are dank.

Spoiler threads are also good when discussions occur for recent films that many people have seen; however, films worth discussing are few and far between and the focus of much of the talk seems to be so far from 'important' aspects that those threads rarely take off.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:58:39 AM »
I checked everything but Filmspots.  Not that I'm not interested in recent releases, I just tend to get to them later than everyone else.  I find the "FYC" threads rather annoying, actually, but I just ignore them.

I rarely participate in (or view) the spoiler discussions, but I'm glad those are there because they seem to get a lot of play.

The other thing I've noticed is we are a lot of Indian Chiefs. We all have our own film goals. We'd love for others to join in our projects, but don't have the time to take part in someone else's.

Movie of the Week was set up to be a solution. One film, watched by everyone. However, with everyone else having a similar backlog of their own films, who has time? Sadly, the biggest problem I can figure is most of us are here to post reviews and very few of us are here to discuss.

I agree with these points most of all, and I'm as guilty as anyone else.  On the first point, I'm making a big push to plow through a substantial hunk of my personal "want to see" list in the upcoming months, and hopefully after that I will feel more free to take on other movie-watching projects.

On the last point, that's a tougher nut to crack.  I find it difficult to discuss a movie unless it's a personal favorite or very fresh in my memory.  I end up just going to my old review and quoting it.  I started to make more of an effort to respond to others' reviews, but I have been slacking in that lately.

I'm sad to see "List of Shame", "Movie Dictator Club" and "Movie of the Week" currently gaining the fewest votes.  This type of interactive movie-sharing is what I like the most.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 12:00:37 PM by MartinTeller »

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 12:05:31 PM »
We've lost Bill, FroHam and flieger.

Flieger is not lost. He may wander away from time to time, but he always finds his way back. (He has the nose [and fur and eating habits] of a wombat.) In fact, he was on just this morning.

To answer your question, I like show discussion, lists (Director, Filmspots, Top 100s, etc.), and:

"What Are You Playing?," "Music of 20XX," "Random Movie Thoughts/Questions," and miscellaneous TV/book/music/gaming threads. Also, the What Are You Doing/Learned/etc things are dank.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 12:06:27 PM »
But apparently not Chat.  :'( :'( :'(

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:14:11 PM »
All of it. I like it all.

The ones that hooked me in initially were the Write About, Movie Games and No Movie Talk Allowed threads.
"Don't be shy. You learn to fly and see the sun when day is done. If only you see."

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 12:14:23 PM »
But apparently not Chat.  :'( :'( :'(

We'll always have Chatris.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
I love brackets and am sad to see they've basically died of late. I also love marathons though I've tried to extricate myself from them because they were overly controlling my viewing selections. Still, I'm not sure trying to move my reviews into the main review thread has been any boost to discussion because they tend to get lost amid the fray (the fray being my subsequent reviews).

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
    • ssmvc
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
DIRECTOR'S FORUM!!!

Beavermoose

• Elite Member
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
Can we get the whole board to stop everything and complete the 80s US bracket?  :)

love