13 (6.9%)
Marathons
14 (7.4%)
Stuff found under "No Movie Talk Allowed"
19 (10.1%)
Overlooked Films
2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?  (Read 15009 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 01:32:32 PM »
Am I paranoid, or has Sam left too?

On his site he's posted reviews for L’Atalante, Hoop Dreams and Cave of Forgotten Dreams, but hasn't been seen here since Dec. 18th.

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 01:34:50 PM »
Must be Jerry the Vampire.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
jim brown hasn't posted for a while either

AAAutin

• Elite Member
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

I contacted him; he'll be back.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 01:37:57 PM »
Lots of people are busy during the holidays.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 03:11:27 PM »
DIRECTOR'S FORUM!!!

Lots of people are busy during the holidays.

Agree with both of these!

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2011, 02:04:03 AM »
I'm sorry to be such a cheater but I checked "All of it" because I just couldn't decide. The thing is that gems of insight and good discussion sometimes sparks in the most unlikely places. You just never know. Likewise perfectly good and ambitious projects sometimes grow tired and stale. So I try to keep an eye on as much as I can thanks to the "recent posting" feature. For sure I won't read every post that is written, but by a quick glance I can usually get an idea of what's going on, where the discussion is right now and if I want to participate.

I too wish there was more interaction between us, more discussion. I often find myself pretty much let down when I write about the films I've seen recently because of the lack of response. There is so little response, many reviews pass without a single comment on them. On the other hand, how many reviews do I comment on? I DO try to respond to reviews on movies I've watched, but there are just SO many movies that I've never heard of, never watched, don't know anything about the director etc etc. And in those cases it's really, really hard to have a conversation. I suppose that goes the opposite way as well and explains why my movies aren't much talked about either. For instance my next review will be about a Norwegian movie I recently watched, Turn me on, Dammit! I can't imagine there's a single one in the forum that has watched it or will get chance to watch it anytime soon and the director is a debutant. So what could anyone possibly say?

I think the Movie of the week/month project is a good idea and I hope that Martin will have more patience in trying to get it established than Fro had. I try to get hold of every movie, but so far it's been with mixed result. But whenever I can I will definitely participate.

All the ambitious projects that require you to watch certain, not always easily availabe, movies, such as brackets, marathons etc etc ar things that I inevitably turn up watching from the sideline. Not only is the competition for my movie watching time fierce (I go a LOT more to theatres to see current films than most of the members of this forum I believe), I also have huge difficulties to get hold on them since I live in SWeden without Netflix access and since I don't download anything illegally.

I miss Fro a lot as a forum member, even though I'm still in touch with him as a friend. But this said, it's in the nature of forums that members come and go. Yes, we lost him and we lost Bill, but we're also getting new active members who grow into the community and provide new perspectives and energy. Let's not be too preoccupied moaning about the voices we lost so we don't listen to the new ones that are singing now, clearly and beautifully.

(sorry for that weird choir thing there, I think I'm in a Christmas mood  :)

PS Oh and one more thing: Rambling about the difficulties we have in responding to each other reviews - the more general discussions about "film" or "cinema" (depending on where on the snob scale you place yourself ;)) should be possible to participate in for everyone, given that we all make an effort to a) not act like dicks to each other b) not have unreasonable think skins. Be civilized. Have fun.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:08:10 AM by Lobby »
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

Lobby

• Elite Member
    • The Velvet Café
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2011, 02:05:55 AM »

I contacted him; he'll be back.
You contacted him? That's the spirit!
I'm looking forward to see him again.
http://thevelvetcafe.wordpress.com/  - where I think aloud about movies

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2011, 03:23:33 AM »
I contacted flieger. He is adopting guerrilla tactics at the moment (he will strike when you least expect. you have been warned).
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy