13 (6.9%)
Marathons
14 (7.4%)
Stuff found under "No Movie Talk Allowed"
19 (10.1%)
Overlooked Films
2 (1.1%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?  (Read 15008 times)

AAAutin

• Elite Member
Re: Which Sections of the Boards do you Enjoy?
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2011, 03:58:41 AM »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2011, 08:19:14 AM »
For instance my next review will be about a Norwegian movie I recently watched, Turn me on, Dammit! I can't imagine there's a single one in the forum that has watched it or will get chance to watch it anytime soon and the director is a debutant. So what could anyone possibly say?

Played at the Philadelphia Film Festival a few months back. I was going to buy a six film pass and this would have been one of my six films; however, schoolwork sucked away a lot of my free time those two weeks and I missed out on it. Looking forward to catching up with it on DVD down the road.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2011, 10:00:26 AM »
Lobby, clicking "All of it" is what I would hope for. I agree, the good discussions are everywhere, they just need people to help fan the flames. I also agree with this

"Not only is the competition for my movie watching time fierce ... I also have huge difficulties to get hold of them."

I do think the poll has uncovered some interesting details.

6 out of 16 say they enjoy Movie of the Week. That's tied with "Overlooked Films". MOTW is a good idea, but clearly not working in its current form.
Right down there is List of Shame and Movie Dictator Club, which says a lot about our community activities. I hope this doesn't deter new people. Like Lobby said, there are new Bills and FroHams joining all the time. We've gained a good dozen loud and clear voices. When I joined the boards were already a strong community, so besides having the right combination of posters I don't think you can force a community together.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
The No Movie Talk allowed leads the poll (also, I wonder how many people would have voted for Music), which is interesting.

Still think it would be cool/useful if there was a subform for video games.

Antares

• Godfather
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:05 AM »
I've had correspondence with Bill Thompson, and sadly, I don't think he's coming back.
Masterpiece (100-91) | Classic (90-80) | Entertaining (79-69) | Mediocre (68-58) | Cinemuck (57-21) | Crap (20-0)

StudentOFilm

• Elite Member
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2011, 12:16:01 PM »
All of it.

I think everyone is finding problems where there are none. Its the nature of message boards and internet interaction for not everything to get commented on and for people to argue and for etc. etc. etc.... I really see no problem or take no offense to any of it.
"Be yourself, unless you suck."- Joss Whedon

My Switchboard

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2011, 12:44:15 PM »
I think the fact that No Movie Talk is popular speaks to the value of the forum apart from actual movie discussion. That's where we have all the Pet Peeve, What I Learned, What I'm doing that really lets people know each other more as people. Caring about who they are and not just what they think about x film is in theory a grander achievement.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2011, 12:52:01 PM »
People come together because of shared interests or activities, then they talk about stuff other than that activity. It's the other stuff that developes true relationships. It's a fully working social model. The first forum wedding can't be far off!

I have to say my chat earlier with OAD & FCM was a breakthrough. It made me think the usual discussions are limited if you really want to get to the heart of an issue. I think Bondo made this point a while back, but I had the usual old person reaction to chat, that it's for the birds and young people. Although I had an exciting chat with a lady whilst playing Hearts once.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 12:54:46 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2011, 01:10:07 PM »
We've already had at least one forum wedding I think. Dr. K and UGG no? Not sure if they met here or not.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2011, 01:11:29 PM »
Wow, that is both lovely...and strange. :o
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

love