Sci-fi
3 (37.5%)
Filmspots
5 (62.5%)
Other (please specify below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 05, 2012, 09:15:41 PM

Author Topic: January 2012 MDC: Filmspot Fever!  (Read 11076 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: January 2012 MDC: Filmspot Fever!
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:09 PM »
GC will watch Certified Copy!  I'm really anxious to hear what he thought of it.
Texan Down Under

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 03:18:44 PM »
For oldkid...

My top film that should be available that he hasn't seen.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
These are all super dank dictations this month.

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »
THATguy will watch:

PeacefulAnarchy

• Elite Member
    • Criticker reviews
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2012, 05:40:57 PM »
Going by PeacefulAnarchy's Icheckmovies there wasnt too much he hasnt seen that I have...
Didnt see Win Win on there so lets go with that.
This sounds good to me, in return I'll assign you Drive, 2011's response to Taxi Driver.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »
saltine is dictated what I was dictated last month (and I'll bet she'll really like it):

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

GothamCity151

• Godfather
  • Join us!
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2012, 12:52:15 PM »
Certified Copy

I am not one to indulge much in the true blue art house cinema. It is just an area of film that really is not for me. Pretentiousness can easily get in the way of my enjoyment of a film. This is another one of those films that just is not for me. I can acknowledge that the film is extremely well made, looks gorgeous, and has an interesting structure to it, but I never once cared about anything or anyone that was going on, which is probably the most important thing. The first half was filled with pseudo-intellectual dialogue comparable to Michael Sheen's character in Midnight In Paris, though without the comedy. When playing that stuff straight faced, I have little patience for it. People trying to sound smart really makes me squirm in my seat and makes the running time go very slowly. When it takes that turn of the second half, I was intrigued by it, but I was interested because of what the screenplay did and not how the characters were feeling. Perhaps I am not smart enough to understand why this shift was made in terms of the emotional arcs of the characters, but I did not care about where these two people went, what they were doing, who they met, or what they talked about. I do not want to take anything away from the people who took to this movie, as they are probably much smarter than I am or want to feel smart, but this film was just not for me. By the end, I could only think, "Well that happened." To me, the film felt like an experiment for experiment's sake.

Grade: C-

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:26 PM »
This sounds good to me, in return I'll assign you Drive, 2011's response to Taxi Driver.

cool. Netflix gets it late in the month so Ill watch it probably early February. Looking forward to it.

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2012, 01:56:58 PM »
Go ahead and post reviews in this same thread.  The list is small enough for us to do that.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 03:59:21 AM »
Certified Copy

I am not one to indulge much in the true blue art house cinema. It is just an area of film that really is not for me. Pretentiousness can easily get in the way of my enjoyment of a film. This is another one of those films that just is not for me. I can acknowledge that the film is extremely well made, looks gorgeous, and has an interesting structure to it, but I never once cared about anything or anyone that was going on, which is probably the most important thing. The first half was filled with pseudo-intellectual dialogue comparable to Michael Sheen's character in Midnight In Paris, though without the comedy. When playing that stuff straight faced, I have little patience for it. People trying to sound smart really makes me squirm in my seat and makes the running time go very slowly. When it takes that turn of the second half, I was intrigued by it, but I was interested because of what the screenplay did and not how the characters were feeling. Perhaps I am not smart enough to understand why this shift was made in terms of the emotional arcs of the characters, but I did not care about where these two people went, what they were doing, who they met, or what they talked about. I do not want to take anything away from the people who took to this movie, as they are probably much smarter than I am or want to feel smart, but this film was just not for me. By the end, I could only think, "Well that happened." To me, the film felt like an experiment for experiment's sake.

Grade: C-

I had almost the same reaction to this film.  It did nothing for me, yet it seems to be on every critic's end of year list.  It was interesting while I watched it, but right now I couldn't tell you much about it.  And, like you, I didn't care one whit about the people involved.  All that said, I'm glad I've seen it.  (Oh, lord, don't let this be the Golden Brick of 2011.)
Texan Down Under

love