Sci-fi
3 (37.5%)
Filmspots
5 (62.5%)
Other (please specify below)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: January 05, 2012, 09:15:41 PM

Author Topic: January 2012 MDC: Filmspot Fever!  (Read 11075 times)

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
Re: January 2012 MDC: Filmspot Fever!
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 11:17:31 PM »
I think the new Pooh and Princess and the Frog are the strongest animation to come from Walt Disney proper since--and I know Fly's radar will flicker upon its mention--Hercules.

I think Princess and the Frog is a decent film, but a far stretch from great (aside from the voodoo guy, who I guess I can see as being pretty great), but yes, Hercules is the finest film Disney Animation has ever created. However, Bolt is probably (easily) the exemplar of quality Disney animation post whenever we agree that the Golden Age/Renaissance ended.

Respectfully disagree on all three statements. Love PATF, like Hercules a lot, and barely remember Bolt.
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

ses

• Administrator
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Sarah's Kitchen Adventures
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2012, 11:50:06 PM »
Would be interested to hear what wasn't inventive about this plot when compared to the original film's shorts, I thought this was just as imaginative.

Eeyore losing his tail?  I feel like I have seen that so many times. In the original, he is introduced by Christopher Robin nailing on his tail because he had lost it....again.  It's what he does. I watched a lot of Welcome to Pooh Corner growing up, and I have seen all the cartoons before this, and I have read the books, and I feel like I have seen that story multiple times.  It felt like the most unimaginative choice for a storyline.
"It's a fool who looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart"

http://sarahskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2012, 08:55:05 AM »
I can agree with that, but I think the places it goes with that as a jumping off point are fun and interesting without feeling like retreads. And even before that, I imagine, we see Pooh looking for honey. Just feel like that's how this world works. I am not overly familiar with the Piglet movie(s?), nor have I watched any of the Tigger and Pooh show on Playhouse Disney, so I'm not sure how familiar new audiences, which I reckon is mostly what this film is concerned with hooking considering the movie's brevity, are with this story line, but it's a valid criticism. I like to think of this film, and I reckon Pooh in general, as a children's version of "The Aristocrats" in that sense though, with the beginning and the end fairly fixed while the middle is where the ingenuity will be found.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2012, 09:59:26 AM »
I reckon Pooh in general, as a children's version of "The Aristocrats"

There's a mind blowing concept.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Jared

• Elite Member
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2012, 01:19:07 AM »
Drive
Spoilers ahead. Finally got this from Netflix and just realized I hadnt fulfilled this dictation with a review.

Havent had the time to read through the topic on the board about this movie, but I was struck by how similar this was to Shane. A loner with some violent skills falls for a married woman with a son, and goes out (?) in a blaze of glory when the movie ends.

Liked it most of the way through. The graphic nature of the violence started to get a little tiresome near the end, but perhaps I felt this way because I watched it with my wife, who was disgusted. Mulligan and Brooks both do a terrific job.

Anyways, liked it, but probably not as much as any of the films in Refn's Pusher trilogy, which I am a big fan of.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2012, 07:19:21 AM »
Alamar

I'll preface this by saying that this film did receive my filmspot vote for the category that it was nominated in, so I'm glad I got to watch it before the awards came around. The film originally reminded me somewhat of Andrei Zvyagintsev's The Return but I soon realized that it was a different kind of film. This film is less about drama, it is a much more serene and beautiful film. I don't exactly think there is that much depth to the film but it is a nice and simple story about a son and his father. Their interactions coupled with the beauty of the coral reef location are the two things that really drive this film. They made this a very enjoyable experience.

love