Author Topic: Sandy Faces the Music  (Read 19884 times)

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
Re: Sandy Faces the Music
« Reply #200 on: June 01, 2017, 07:52:57 PM »
the camera work is distracting, right from the opening song. I don't know how to explain it, except to try and speak the words I hear him saying in his head, "wait for it" and again, "turn, two three four..." and then, "I'm so pleased with myself for capturing that moment!

This kind of thing?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #201 on: June 01, 2017, 09:27:40 PM »
 :D

The shoulder tap method! And yes, they were very pleased with themselves.

I need to cleanse my palate after that, so here's a two minute long take of Powell and Astaire. No camera tricks needed when talent can hold its own.

"Don't be shy. You learn to fly and see the sun when day is done. If only you see."

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #202 on: June 01, 2017, 09:34:44 PM »
La La Land was proof that the entertainment industry is no longer creating triple threats with years of training who can build off of the greatness of the past. The closest we will come to this level of skill is on the stage, but most of them don't yet have the movie screen talent of Stone and Gosling. Idina Menzel is a great singer, but can only work as a character actress, like Nathan Lane. Lin-Manuel Miranda is the hot ticket, but Hamilton is about the songs. The dancing is part of the atmosphere and most everyone agrees Miranda is one of the weaker actors in the cast.

There seems to be a number of actors who can sing, but breathtaking dancing ability is elusive. The top of the list is Justin Timberlake, but while he's come along as an actor I still wouldn't put him with Hugh Jackman or Neil Patrick Harris. Everyone is on level with James Corden.

I'm very interested in this point. I can't name the great dancers of cinema's past, but I wonder, was their background generally dancing and they transitioned into acting? Like Jackie Chan was in a school for the Peking Opera for 10 years as a child (which taught him all kinds of acrobatics and martial arts)... does Gene Kelly and others have similar backgrounds?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2017, 02:13:55 AM »
Jackie Chan is the real deal! I like these questions. I'm hoping someone else has more info than I do, but off the top of my head, when he was a kid, Gene Kelly's mom put him in dance class, but he wanted to play baseball. As a teen, he came back to it and later his family opened a dance studio where he taught. There's more, but I'd have to look that up. :)
"Don't be shy. You learn to fly and see the sun when day is done. If only you see."

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2017, 10:05:23 AM »
From what little I know of Fred Astaire, his background was dancing and the acting came later. Back then vaudeville was the main training ground, where you had to sing, act and dance. The better you were the more time you got and the larger your salary and billing. This is how James Cagney and Ginger Rogers came up in the world, but even then their big break came through dancing first. I haven't been able to find a talent where dancing came later. So you end up with people like Nicole Kidman and Anna Kendrick, who can sing and act but are not known for dancing.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Me neither, except for Debbie Reynolds and she went through torture to look good dancing in Singin' in the Rain. My guess is that she knew how to dance before, but Gene Kelly was a perfectionist and demanded it from others too, if it was going to be put on screen.

You mentioned earlier that the talent should probably come from Broadway. I concur! There is sky-high skill demanded there and if there is a movie trend toward musicals, it should start there for casting.

Patina Miller is a perfect example of triple threat and luckily is finding a place in television and film.