Author Topic: Sandy Faces the Music  (Read 44481 times)

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
Re: Sandy Faces the Music
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:09:32 PM »
1SO are you okay if I link your musical marathon on to my first post? I would like to have easy access to any musical marathons I come across. I think roujin had a Gene Kelly marathon somewhere.

Absolutetly. It's one of my favorite projects on the boards.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 11:10:25 PM »
Pennies From Heaven looks good. Gonna check it out after the Filmspots.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oneaprilday

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • "What we see and what we seem are but a dream."
    • A Journal of Film
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:28:41 PM »
Looks so fun, Sandy!  Looking forward to your reviews.

roujin

• Objectively Awesome
  • it's all research
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:35:14 AM »
Om Shanti Om 2007
Devdas 2002

Have to catch the latter myself, but the former is all kinds of awesome.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 09:10:16 AM »
Om Shanti Om 2007
Devdas 2002

Have to catch the latter myself, but the former is all kinds of awesome.

Can't wait! roujin, can I link your Gene Kelly marathon to my initial post?

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
I can't bear to make All American Co-Ed my first post, so as a prelude, I'll copy and paste some thoughts on That's Entertainment--The first movie of the semester. If you have a review, please link. :)

Day 25 - Your Favorite Documentary Film: That's Entertainment! (1974, Haley Jr.)
pixote and Bondo might have to set me straight on what constitutes a documentary. But my thinking is, if a study of the history and strategy of Donkey Kong can be considered a documentary then a study of the history and significance of MGM’s musicals must be allowed as well. This is a three tier experience. The musical numbers are introduced by the stars that are looking back with the perspective and distance of time; as they are walking through the dilapidated MGM lot. This is the last time that Esther William’s pool, The Band Wagon’s train station, and Good News' Tait University are seen; for the backlot is demolished soon after. All are now memories, the films, the hosts (excepting Reynolds, Rooney and Minnelli) and the location. It’s history within history, wrapped in beautiful nostalgia.

That's Entertainment! - Musicals are a relatively weak area for me.  I've seen a bunch of the big ones, but certainly not all of them.  Furthermore, my track record is very hit or miss, with a few that blew me away but a number I didn't like nearly as much as most people seem to.  So I thought this tribute to MGM (the reigning studio of the genre) musicals would be a good way to sample some titles for possible future consumption.  There were many that didn't appeal to me, but I did manage to put together a decent wishlist... made more difficult because many of the films, annoying, weren't identified.  So now I look forward to checking out: Broadway Melody of 1940, Thousands Cheer, Good News, Two Weeks With Love, Zeigfeld Follies, The Barkleys of Broadway, Royal Wedding, Million Dollar Mermaid, Summer Stock, and Anchors Aweigh.

I don't know if I can comment much on the merits of the film itself, since I was using it mainly as research.  The idea of experiencing a slew of highlights sounds good in theory, but doesn't entirely work in practice.  Of course it's fun when you're enjoying the numbers, but although it has the benefit of whetting your appetite for those films, it also makes you wish you were watching them instead.  There's a cringe-worthy Twiggy-era comment about "slightly overweight chorus girls" and Liz Taylor looks stoned out of her gourd.  But it's an enjoyable overview and there's a candid willingness to discuss their failures.  Rating: Good

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
Xanadon't, nowhere in sight. Good choice.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2012, 09:30:33 AM »
Xanadon't, nowhere in sight. Good choice.

:))

That goes under the thread: Just Because They Can Doesn't Mean They Should

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:10 AM »
All-American Co-Ed

Is there anything less attractive than gum chewing, five-o’clock shadowed, broad shouldered chorus “girls” lumbering around a stage? All-American Co-Ed begins with the apparant Hasty Pudding wannabes at Quincton college parading in a pseudo serious Ziegfeld parody. When the all girl school Mar Brynn derides their show, the frat boys infiltrate the school with one of their own, in hopes of finding a way to get back. The plot is about as well thought out as these costume pants.

Frances Langford, who sings the Oscar nominated song, Out of the Silence, is the only noteworthy performer of this mercifully short film. Even her song is marred by strangely posed, pajama clad, sing-along sorority sisters.

I promised myself that I would not use the word painful in this marathon--just thought you should know.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:38:49 PM by Sandy »

smirnoff

• Objectively Awesome
    • smirnoff's Top 100
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
So how do the girls eventually find out there's boys amongst them (the 5 o'clock shadow not being a big enough give away)? It must've been something pretty obvious. I'd guess but it'd be crude, lol.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 06:39:36 PM by smirnoff »

love