Author Topic: Sandy Faces the Music  (Read 23443 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Sandy Faces the Music
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2014, 11:43:29 PM »
 :))
"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2014, 01:07:01 AM »
The Wizard of Oz

A case where the third time really is the charm as Victor Fleming comes in to direct after Norman Taurog gets reassigned and Richard Thorpe can't catch the vision of Oz. And, not counting George Kukor, who has a short stint as surrogate, making a few tweaks here and there; most notably is scrubbing Dorothy's glamor away to reveal the fresh faced girl from Kansas. Thank you Kukor! At first glance, Fleming might not seem the obvious choice, but to hear his words on the matter, everything becomes clear. "I made the film because I wanted my two little girls to see a picture that searched for beauty and decency and sweetness and love in the world." One more director adds his sepia touch to the film. As Fleming goes to salvage Gone With the Wind, King Vidor steps in to finish up with the Kansas scenes and beautifully direct the number one "Song of the Century" and the American Film Institute's choice for greatest movie song of all time.

Somewhere Over the Rainbow is, as Judy Garland's daughter Lorna Luft said, "The most perfect marriage of a song and artist that's ever been." A song that almost got left on the editing room floor, because some felt it slowed the movie down. It's a two minute song for heaven's sake! Although, there is something that does occur during that song and it doesn't just slow things down. Time stands still and breathing is forgotten as this girl who's not being heard, pours out her fondest dream to only her dog Toto and, by now, at least a billion people.

Arguably the most watched film of all time, The Wizard of Oz is a universal cinematic handbook for childhood, with chapters on facing fears, dealing with an expanding world, valuing friendship, learning how to function emotionally, mentally and socially and believing in yourself and your dreams.

A most personal film, if ever, oh ever a film there was.
"I'm a new day rising."

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2014, 08:00:56 AM »
I recently gave this a rewatch for my catalog marathon but have been struggling for the words to review. I may just copy these, since I agree wholeheartedly.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2014, 01:04:32 AM »
I recently gave this a rewatch for my catalog marathon but have been struggling for the words to review. I may just copy these, since I agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks Corndog :), I'm glad you feel the same way.

It's an absolutely crazy movie to try and write anything about. So daunting!!! I wouldn't have even attempted it, except I've been asked to write and narrate a city's symphony concert of music from movies and Somewhere Over The Rainbow is one of the songs. Up next is another behemoth, Singin' in the Rain. Gulp!
"I'm a new day rising."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2014, 02:35:39 AM »
Singin' in the Rain

Singin' in the Rain has gotten me into a few predicaments here and there over the years. I'm sure it's not intentional, but the movie is just so irresistible, it can't help itself. Or, I should say, I can't help myself.

Do you remember those dome umbrellas that you could watch the rain through the clear plastic. I loved them. I thought they were the greatest invention ever. I was so proud going to and from school on those days I was lucky enough to have rain. Well, not anymore after seeing Singin' in the Rain. So what if I could see through the dumb thing, it wouldn't spin. Nor was it aerodynamic as I swung around in big circles. The clunky thing held me back and kept me from having that glorious feeling. Umbrella dissatisfaction was the first incident.

The next one I'm not proud of and I paid dearly the rest of the day for it, but as we lined up for school one morning right after a heavy rain, the water spout was pouring out the most tempting gush of water and I don't know what possessed me, unless it was Gene Kelly's big smile, but I had to get underneath it, I just had to! Five seconds of bliss. Five hours, fifty-nine minutes and fifty-five seconds of miserable wet clothes sticking to me. Plenty of time to wipe the smile off my own face.

I found that I was taxing everyone's patience as phrases from the movie started creeping into my vocabulary like, “What dope’d wear a thing like this?”, “You and who else, you big lummox?”,  “Well, at least you’re taking it lying down.”, or “How did you come, by way of Australia?” and my personal favorite, "I'm a shimmering star in the cinema firmament."  Fun the first 10 times, but after that it's pushing it and boy did I push it.

One trip to Hollywood in pre-GPS days, had me facing a carload of angry, frustrated people as I was bound and determined to find certain intersecting streets, so I could take a picture and sing out, "Here we are Sunset and Camden!" So worth it to me, but I failed to convince anyone else of it's importance.

Let's see, what other things did I have to learn the hard way? I'm not capable of running up walls. Spinning around on the carpet propelled by my elbows, creates good and painful rug burns. Reenacting the crazy veil dance cannot be accomplished with a portable fan. Making faces behind people's backs doesn't work, because of something called peripheral vision. There's more, but suffice it to say, I'm a slow learner when it comes to the compelling nature of this movie. Why is it so compelling? I'll tell you. There's not a misstep in any moment of this film. Each one is perfectly choreographed and executed and practically begs me to infused it into the very fibers of my being. So I oblige and I'm happy again.  And again.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:37:46 AM by Sandy »
"I'm a new day rising."

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #165 on: February 26, 2014, 08:30:33 AM »
Yes.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2014, 09:31:34 AM »
Love it, Sandy!
Switchboard
Watched 2019

Top 250  |  Great  |  Good  |  Fair  |  Poor  |  Crap

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2014, 10:10:22 PM »
Thanks Martin! Now you know how foolish I can really be. :)

Yes.

I knew you liked Singin' in the Rain, so went to see if it landed in your top 100.

#2!!!  :))

Have you ever written about it?
"I'm a new day rising."

Corndog

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:14 PM »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2014, 11:18:36 PM »
As part of my favorite marathon I've done here.

Oh! That marathon was before I got here. Such a great idea for one. I've been enjoying all the reviews. :) The idea of seeing SitR for the first time ever, makes my head spin a little. Seeing it through your eyes by way of your review is a real treat.
"I'm a new day rising."