Author Topic: Sandy Faces the Music  (Read 24339 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • You're not alone No matter what or who you've been
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:44:18 PM by Sandy »

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: Sandy Faces the Music
« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2014, 05:12:15 PM »
Busy month for musicals!

It was so great to read your refreshing take on these films!
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
Thanks oldkid! I love this musical May theme. There were more I wanted to get to, but I can put them here anytime.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2015, 10:03:05 PM »
Hang the Group Marathon, this is too good an opportunity to pass up.

State Fair 1945
You are now treading into territory where I'm too afraid to follow. (Both this week and next). Your review had lots of color, plus Dana Andrews, but it warned of a dull 2nd Half. I can't take another Carousel.

It's fortunate that I hadn't shown them State Fair before our foray. Instead of everyone being mildly disappointed, I could have had a full revolt on my hands. For what State Fair does best is paint a very pretty picture of an impossibly perfect celebration. Reality can never measure up.
Mrs. 1SO didn't like the story but liked the more famous actors and the way the film presents State Fairs. So much so that she looked up when ours is happening and now we're going to visit it... but only for a day. And we're padding the trip out with other fun activities so we're not putting all our fun eggs into one State Fair.

After a certain point the only thing keeping me involved was Dana Andrews. Sigh. This is him below. Get a load of the suit and dress--I didn't see anything like that on my outing. Also of note, this is the cutest scene in the film--the highlight for me.

I like that scene too. There's a moment where he holds up his coat to her and she thinks he's striking a cocky pose but then the coaster drops and she grabs the coat for something to cling to.
After a certain point the only thing keeping me involved was red hair, but not in the usual sexy way. The film stars Jeanne Crain, whose hair is usually red but here dyed mousy brown. Then there's Vivian Blaine, who's hair is my favorite shade of red, except you can tell she's a fake. A blonde in disguise.

This is the brother and he's a schmuck. I won't get into his story, which I disliked the whole of, but suffice it to say he is one. But, along side him is the wonderful Harry Morgan--another highlight.
Soon as I saw him I thought he must be from the stage because on camera the brother just looks like a jerk and a tool. He's also always the less interesting person in his scenes. Getting into his story, he spends the entire film chasing a girl only to end up with someone else. Had we met her before. By the last scene, I already couldn't remember. I thought about it and what the writing is trying to do could work. Redheaded blonde was a seasonal fling, a brief moment in time. But the way it plays out here it's like having Myrna Loy enter at the end of Casablanca to walk away with Bogie.

I stopped the film for a few minutes so I could study this campsight. Can you imagine such a perfect set up? Cordoned of private space with an outdoor kitchen and a token tent for those that want to rough it. Each of their meals was on dinnerware, with linens. I didn't think the mom would ever get a chance to enjoy the fair, but the prop people took care of everything and she was able to have a fine time.
I'm not a camper or trailer person, but I also saw that set up and thought it looked so much more fun than a hotel. If you're going to do a State Fair, this is the way to do it. One of my favorite parts of the film was the way mom griped about dad taking care of the pig and the sweet way she told him he was taking her out on the last night.
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad  | The Worst

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:12 PM »
 :D

Looking up Vivian Blaine's hair color...   Yes, that's very pretty!

My recommendations for your state fair visit is go early in it's run, while the produce is fresh and the animals haven't been cooped up for the whole duration. :)  I like that you have other plans as well!

The only things keeping me involved the second half were counting Jeanne Crain's changing outfits.

Bogie and Loy. You're right. There's a certain clunkiness to it. :)

I too liked the mom and I too would have loved that set up. It's pretend camping!

Merry Music of May Group Marathon 2015

The Glenn Miller Story
Here Comes the Groom
A Mighty Wind
Tales of Hoffman
Young Man with a Horn
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 05:24:27 PM by Sandy »

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2015, 12:29:42 AM »
Yentl

I haven't learned a thing. I might as well be sixteen years old again, seeing this for the first time. The whole of life is contained in the story and songs; all for the taking. And I thought I did take it. I listened to the album uncountable times, pondering on the lyrics, the lessons. But, here I am again, pondering the same words, wondering why I'm still such a neophyte. I had them practically memorized, so why are they hitting me so hard now, like lightning strikes of awareness? I have to figure this out...

What's right or wrong, where I belong
Within the scheme of things

As a teenager I sang along to these words, wanting to really know and here I am a grown woman, still asking the same questions. And these as well:

And why have eyes that see and arms that reach
Unless you're meant to know there's something more
If not to hunger for the meaning of it all
Then tell me what a soul is for?

I know these are big questions, but I've been on the planet for a good amount of time now. It's aggravating not knowing if I'm making any headway with them.

Hmmm, these next words give me comfort, for time has given me more moments, gifts to know that I'm not where I was, because I am acquiring experiences.

I will always remember this chair, that window
The way the light streams in
The clothes I'm wearing, the words I'm hearing
The faces I'm seeing, the feeling I'm feeling
The smell, the sound, will be written on my mind
Will be written in my heart as long as I live

I believed in these next ones tenuously, for sixteen is an uncertain age by right, and so they became a pale promise.

I've wanted the shadows, I don't anymore
No matter what happens, I won't anymore
I've run from the sunlight, afraid it saw too much
The moon had the one light

I bathed in, I walked in, I held in my feelings
And closed every door
No matter what happens
I can't anymore

But, not having conviction behind that promise, I lost them for a while and as I hear them again tonight, I mourn that loss. I'm not afraid anymore, like I was then, so when the next part comes, my promise now is much bolder:

For too many mornings, the curtains were drawn
It's time they were opened to welcome the dawn
A voice deep inside is getting stronger
I can't keep it quiet any longer
No matter what happens
It can't be the same anymore
I promise it won't be the same, anymore

Whew, there is hope for me yet!! :)

Oh, this next one hits especially hard. And, it's difficult to explain. Suffice it to say, I'm trying to learn that I too get to say, "So am I."

She's mother, she's sister,
She's lover.
She's the wonder of wonders
No man can deny.
So why would he change her?
She's loving-she's tender-
She's woman-

...So am I.

The last song, I could quote all the words, really. It's so full of wonder. I think I posted it somewhere before, but if you don't mind a little spoileriness, it's well worth a listen.

So why am I still such a beginner? The answer is in the song.

The more I live, the more I learn
The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know.

Or as the Rabbi said, "It's by their questions that we choose our students, not only by their answers." I guess, I'm a life long student!

This has been a very useful exercise. If you've read along, you have a lot of patience for my need to process. Thank you. :)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2016, 08:05:03 PM »
I can't stop watching this. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGo5WahEukY&feature=youtu.be

My friend Anna made it. She's synced the song so well with the tempo changes and has really highlighted Astaire's charm.

Enjoy!

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Really nice.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • My tinypic changed so no avatar for a little while
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2016, 03:25:54 AM »
Makes me want to watch a Fred Astaire movie.

maņana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #179 on: June 30, 2016, 11:35:30 PM »
I can't stop watching this. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGo5WahEukY&feature=youtu.be

My friend Anna made it. She's synced the song so well with the tempo changes and has really highlighted Astaire's charm.

Enjoy!
Interesting combination. I like it.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.