Author Topic: Obvious self whoring thread  (Read 154169 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Obvious self whoring thread
« Reply #1220 on: July 13, 2013, 03:38:06 AM »
 :)

Do you know what Ace says?

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #1221 on: July 13, 2013, 03:45:06 AM »
Pretty sure he's saying "Like a glove."

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #1222 on: July 13, 2013, 03:51:00 AM »
 :D

perfect

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
  • The 'Kid-Gloves' are off
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 26, 2016, 09:56:57 AM »
So before I came to Filmspotting, I was part of this online movement called "The Moviepocalypse". It was started by this film critic who utilized a movie trailer's telltale signs to assess the quality of an upcoming movie - it's more effective than it sounds when you know what you're looking for (i.e.: the trailer saying "From the producer of" as opposed to "From the director of"), but I digress.

So, when I was part of their community, the creator got us to make videos based on The Moviepocalypse (which is essentially the death of creativity in Hollywood). Now, before you face-palm, that was more than 5-6 years ago, give or take. I was no longer part of the movement for a long time, and I don't really share their beliefs any longer - for the most parts. This was before the time when I accepted the more subjective nature of film. I needed to feel like I was part of something important, which was why I joined their little 'activist group', so to speak.

Anyway, these were two of the videos I edited together back then. Before you judge, just know that these are dated productions made by my younger self. Today, I wouldn't necessarily agree with a number of the movie titles I had selected for the propaganda, especially since Star Trek was kinda the antithesis of what my initial message was. Take a look:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl8ftQk_D-Y

This is the 'Movie Hope' version to show the more optimistic (and creative) side of Hollywood:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrG2ZHOTt0

Looking back at these, it's kinda embarrassing, but it's good to know how my perspectives towards film have changed a lot. As I've said before last year, shortly after my arrival at Filmspotting: give me another decade and I might actually like The Godfather. :P
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Eternally seeking variety. 'Tis the spice of life for me.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1224 on: April 26, 2016, 11:12:49 AM »
Good editing.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 26, 2016, 11:17:02 AM »
Good editing.

Thanks. 8) I tried to keep the rhythm of the video flowing smoothly, such that when the music became fast-paced, so did the transitions of the clips. Even back then, I had already formed an affinity with epic and fast-paced music.
"I used to think the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It's not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone." - Lance Clayton (played by Robin Williams), World's Greatest Dad

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1226 on: April 27, 2016, 07:43:18 AM »
Great music choice and editing to that music.

Paul Phoenix

• Elite Member
    • Letterboxd Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 27, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »
Great music choice and editing to that music.

Thank you. ;D Glad you liked it.

I enjoyed editing movie clips to epic music back then, turning them into either music videos or movie trailers, but each project like this was a lot of work lasting several months, so I kinda lost patience for it. Might consider picking it up again in the distant future.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:55:26 AM by Hermit »

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1228 on: April 27, 2016, 06:18:07 PM »
It does not surprise me that it took several months to do, I would have been very jealous if you had been able to do it in a day.

JakeIsntFake

• Nothing that a few mega-vitamins couldn't cure
    • 2015 Watchlist
« Reply #1229 on: May 07, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
Got 2nd at State in the 800m today! I'm finally done! It hurts so bad! I hate running!
What a world
"The detail of the pattern is movement"
ICheckMovies
Top 40

love