love

Author Topic: Obvious self whoring thread  (Read 154204 times)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
Re: Obvious self whoring thread
« Reply #1240 on: June 10, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »
Great read, Jeff! :)

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1241 on: June 11, 2016, 10:10:26 AM »
Thanks!

Dave the Necrobumper

• Objectively Awesome
  • If I keep digging maybe I will get out of this hol
« Reply #1242 on: July 06, 2016, 07:18:19 AM »
My story The Lawn is up today at New Pop Lit!!!

Just got around to reading this. What a great read, well done. I loved the "hero's" laid-back attitude.

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1243 on: July 16, 2016, 11:26:04 AM »
My story The Lawn is up today at New Pop Lit!!!

Just got around to reading this. What a great read, well done. I loved the "hero's" laid-back attitude.

Thanks!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #1244 on: July 16, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »
Jeff sorry I missed this first time around. Thanks Dave.

I love the micro anxieties of life that you delightfully cut across. I hope this is a true story! ;D You make all those incidental characters insightful and warm and funny. I was hoping for one of those dark twisted endings that powered lawn mowers forebode! ;D

We have little electric powered lawnmowers cos we have tiny gardens. The cultural power of the petrol lawnmower is revealed to me.

That's good writing. Thanks.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Jeff Schroeck

« Reply #1245 on: July 16, 2016, 06:57:18 PM »
Jeff sorry I missed this first time around. Thanks Dave.

I love the micro anxieties of life that you delightfully cut across. I hope this is a true story! ;D You make all those incidental characters insightful and warm and funny. I was hoping for one of those dark twisted endings that powered lawn mowers forebode! ;D

We have little electric powered lawnmowers cos we have tiny gardens. The cultural power of the petrol lawnmower is revealed to me.

That's good writing. Thanks.

Thank you!

Bits of it are based on real events, namely the letter from the Homeowners Association about an unsightly lawn (I wasn't the owner though).

I tried to be conscious of not making the neighbors seem like two-dimensional dingbats, other than maybe the religious busybody. I'm glad it seemed to have worked.

Melvil

• Godfather
  • Eek
« Reply #1246 on: August 01, 2016, 03:38:26 PM »
Self whoring doesn't get any more self-whorey than crowd-funding campaigns, right? Well I've got one!

http://vimeo.com/176885695

We're in the final stages of pushing towards completing GALAXY LORDS, which up until this point we've managed to scrape by on without a budget. We're facing a lot of real costs to finish this thing off, so we're hoping to find support from people who might be as excited to see it as we are to finish it. It's silly and unimportant, but it's a passion project, so we'd appreciate your time in giving it a look! :)

MattDrufke

« Reply #1247 on: August 22, 2016, 09:03:27 AM »
For those people who live in the Chicagoland area, I run a stand-up show every Thursday night in Aurora called Still Not Friday. Every week, we take three featured comedians and give them 20-minute sets. It's at Two Brothers Roundhouse (205 N. Broadway). We've featured comics who have been on Comedy Central and Last Comic Standing and have toured with some of the biggest names in the country. And it's a free show.

We've got a facebook page: www.facebook.com/snfcomedy
And a twitter: www.twitter.com/snfcomedy
@ihatemattdrufke

Parnassus

• Soundtrack Lover
    • The Soundtrack Central
« Reply #1248 on: February 10, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »
Just a little project I've been working on for several months:

You could see a bigger version of the poster here:
https://i.imgur.com/ZaNo8Ym.jpg

It's this room I run on Plug.DJ that plays exclusively movie soundtracks (and occasionally TV ones too). The room is unfortunately quite dead nowadays, but as you can see above, I have planned one last event to go out with a bang before closing the room altogether.

For those as excited for this coming Oscars as I am, feel free to drop by to have a pre-party of sorts as we celebrate all the Oscar (and Golden Globe) winning/nominated songs that made movies great. There probably won't be a lot of people, and I won't be active around the room till the actual event date, but I'll be playing soundtracks 24/7 there all the same, right up till Oscar night.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #1249 on: February 10, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
I apologize for putting something right after you Parnassus, but I'd like for some help.

We created a village for houseless folks who were living in a nature refuge.  The village was self-servicing and we were governing it well.  The city took it down because they don't like homeless villages on unused public land.

We are trying to get the city to just hear us, to talk to us, and the ACLU is trying to help us.  So the ACLU has a petition for us that we need more signatures on.  If you would like to sign this, please do.  If you would like to promote the petition, please do.  We need as much help as we can get.

https://action.aclu.org/secure/take-action-protect-village-hope
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky