love

Author Topic: February 2012 MDC: Sci-Fi  (Read 23694 times)

saltine

• Administrator
  • Godfather
Re: February 2012 MDC: Sci-Fi
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2012, 02:28:14 AM »

Tim Burton's Shane Acker's 9

1. great voice acting by Christopher Plummer, Martin Landau, John C. Reilly, Elijah Wood, Jennifer Connelly and Crispin Glover.
2. visually stunning
3. grand use of color
4. well-imagined
5. made sense within the world it created
6. some fun stuff in the plot like the twin numbers
7. metaphor-laden, but all suited to the totalitarian government and apocalyptic setting
7. fresher and more engaging if you've never seen a Tim Burton-influenced film
8. too scary for little kids, PG-13 is deserved
9. Thanks, jrod, for the dictation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:57:14 PM by saltine »
Texan Down Under

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02:44 PM »

Tim Burton's 9
8. too scary for little kids, PG-13 is deserved

Ideathy really enjoyed it.  I fell asleep (not the fault of the movie, though).
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:22 PM »
9 was made by Shane Acker. Burton just produced it.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »
I'd call it more Timur Bekmambetov's anyway.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2012, 04:53:28 PM »
Oh yea, actually, that's the guy.

LukeRobot

« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2012, 10:25:08 PM »
The Face of Another (Teshigahara, 1966)

I don't have anything really brilliant to say about it, but I'm really glad this was dictated to me.  This is definitely a slow, methodical burn with sort of mad scientist undertones; less a science fiction film and more a surreal drama.  I especially enjoyed the dialogue, contemplating how people judge their own appearances and how they get judged by others.  As someone who is very physically self-conscious, a lot of this really resonated with me.  And I totally loved the surreal aspects of this film, lots of neat editing tricks and imagery (the x-ray scene right at the top sticks out).  The design of the "laboratory" was great too, such a nice take on an old premise in science fiction films.  If I had one thing to nitpick, it would be the secondary plot with the young disfigured girl.  I could have either used even more of it.  She seemed like a very interesting character about which I would like to learn more.  That is just a small thing though.  Overall, highly recommended to anyone looking for a slower-paced, philosophical sci-fi film.  Thanks to MartinTeller for the dictation!

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2012, 10:58:33 PM »
You're welcome!  Yeah, I have some reservations about the subplot as well, but otherwise it's a terrific film.

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2012, 02:23:53 PM »
The Face of Another (Teshigahara, 1966)

Just saw this is Tatsuya Nakadai! That might help me get over the "slow, methodical burn".

THATguy

• Elite Member
  • Contrarian At Large.
« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »
Fantastic Planet

I actually saw this several weeks ago but never put in my review, in large part because I don't really know HOW to review a film like this. My initial off the bat feel was "I didn't get it", and weeks later, that's still the primary feeling. I didn't get the themes (there was a general anti-war one, obviously, but everything else was so drenched in this psychedelia and general madness that I still have no real idea how or what to take from it.

This feels like a copout of a review but I honestly have nothing else to add.

Beavermoose

• Godfather
  • Samsonite! I was way off!
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2012, 08:05:19 AM »
Alphaville

The category this month is Sci-Fi but this Godard film is also very inspired by Film Noir. Godard's has his tough American detective type character and of course the beautiful Anna Karina as the pseudo-femme fatale. The dystopian future Godard builds is something we've seen many times before but he gives it enough flair to make it stand out. The fascinating thing is that he uses regular locations and gives them futuristic roles, like a swimming pool as an execution chamber. The technical aspects of Alphaville are quite impressive for the time. One of the first shots is a tracking shot through a building and up an elevator, following the main character. I'd heard some bad things about this film before going in but I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much fun I had with it. Godard does a bunch of other experimentations with sound and the visuals and its was a lot of fun to watch.

love