Author Topic: Filmspots 2011: Official Nominations  (Read 15010 times)

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
Re: Filmspots 2011: Official Nominations
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2012, 06:42:19 PM »
Initially I had that reaction but I do think it gets further into foreign language as the film goes that it isn't a complete loss. I nominated Sarah's Key for foreign and it probably had almost as much English.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2012, 07:35:44 PM »
To be fair, I consider it a foreign language film as well, I was just making the case for it as not one because, for much of it, I felt like I was just listening to English.

The main reason I bring it up is because, I believe if I'm remembering correctly, that both Avatar and Inglorious Basterd made my ballot for Best Non-English Language feature and (maybe) Best Picture, yet I think both only scored Best Picture nominations and most people seemed to scoff at the notion that both were also non-English language films. Wondering why that is overlooked with Certified Copy. I assume, as Sam says, it's because the director wasn't foreign in either case, but I'm not completely on board with that personally.

FifthCityMuse

• Elite Member
  • Good work, sycophants!
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
Is there a preferred cut of SENNA we should be watching?

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2012, 03:53:25 PM »
Best Shot
     Shadows Inverted, The Tree of Life
Somebody remind me what this is.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

toro913

« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
I assumed it was this.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2012, 05:09:42 PM »
Thanks.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Totoro

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »
Hugo's sound design was good. Not near the level of Drive or We Need to Talk About Kevin. The pawn shop scene in Drive is the best sound design of the year.

The intricacy of the small clicks of the automatons with the ambient sounds of bustling Paris - now that's truly difficult stuff to edit and mix clearly. Hugo gets it down brilliantly, creating a wonderful sense of atmosphere with its sound in every shot. The gunshot in Drive would be something ridiculously easy to edit. It's cool, but it's more of a trick than anything. The consistent and understated sound design in Hugo blew me away. Then again, just about every technical thing about Hugo blew me away.  :P

Totoro

« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »

Also, watching it I had a thought that I want to toss around mentally for a bit and then perhaps write more in depth about later. This is a Hell of a screenplay, and when thinking about it in relation to the other non-English language screenplay with its central idea right in the title that is getting buzz I don't even think, in terms of quality, it's all that close. Each word in Certified Copy holds enormous weight and importance, simultaneously advancing what is known about these characters on a personal and emotional level while also never ceasing to propel the larger thematic concepts the film grapples with, even when it's not being overt. Add in the (mostly) lack of dangling threads, the more authentic and natural way in which information is revealed, and the fresh take on a noticeable, but still complex, core idea it makes the script for A Separation seem even weaker and even more laughable.

Apples and oranges? Certified Copy is a film about two people, A Separation is a film about two families. One is a intimate character drama, the other is a explosive ensemble drama. They are both after different things.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2012, 07:43:17 PM »
Don't think that's necessarily relevant. The complaints I have about the script of A Separation are the dangling plot threads, the shallow themes, and basically the dialogue just being there to increase the Emotion, while Certified Copy, despite being smaller in scale, identifies a key idea to focus on, has a story it wants to tell, has a way it wants to tell it, and makes sure that the dialogue is there for both theme and emotion. Their functions are all the same, a script is meant to tell a story and explore themes.