Silent Films
5 (27.8%)
Films from the 1960s
9 (50%)
Films about Film
4 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: March 04, 2012, 12:14:41 AM

Author Topic: March 2012 MDC: The 1960s  (Read 9124 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: March 2012 MDC: The 1960s
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2012, 07:48:06 PM »

Still, though. A+

YES!  *fist pump*

Glad to help make your final FS assignment before your break a pleasant one.    What a great film.  One of the rare adaptations that are equal to the greatness of the classic book.

"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

zarodinu

• Elite Member
  • What we've got here is failure to communicate
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2012, 02:45:05 PM »
Culloden (1964) 8/10

Much like The War Game, this is a documentary style film about war. Instead of an alternate future, however, it depicts a historical battle and manages to make things work very well despite the inherent anachronism of a camera crew in the 18th century. When it comes to depicting the blundering build up, the brutal battle, and the bloody aftermath, Watkins doesn't slip up. The use of closeups works very well in conveying agony and bewilderment and, as you'd expect from a documentary style film, the very methodical pacing and matter of fact descriptions clash with the grimy visuals and leave strong impressions. Besides being a critique of a particularly bloody battle and the events that followed the film also works as a critique of war itself. How can someone participate in something like this and not be dehumanized? In that respect I think the choice of a historical battle, documentary style, minimally identifiable characters and a very short timeline, the battle is was barely an hour long, make it uniquely effective.

Glad I suggested something you liked.

What I love about this movie is how incredibly unique it is, I am really shocked nobody replicated this style of "documentary".  Its also surprisingly effective as an anti-war movie, a genre where the end result usually makes the war look cool.  Glad you enjoyed it.
Iíve lied to men who wear belts. Iíve lied to men who wear suspenders. But Iíd never be so stupid as to lie to a man who wears both a belt and suspenders.

mousterpiece

• Elite Member
    • Mousterpiece Cinema
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »
Red Angel

If anything else, I'm glad I saw this movie because I had never heard of it or its director, Yasuzo Masumura, before. It was a nice shock to be reminded that, even if I haven't seen every movie, there are some well-respected directors I still need to be educated on. This movie--set during the Sino-Japanese War that would eventually become part of World War II--is, suffice to say, extremely grim and mostly avoids any sentimentality or high emotions. There's a love story between our narrator, a nurse named Sakura and her superior, Dr. Okabe, but even that barely reaches into melodrama (until a climactic scene). The film has a very gritty, unforced, realistic feel, but I admit that it feeling so realistic and eschewing melodrama meant I never got extremely engaged with the story. I think the strongest aspect of the movie is, though, that feel. Not every war drama needs to overload on sap, and this one being straightforward felt like the right way to go. Very, very grim, dark (often literally), but I'm glad I saw it.

3/4
Listen to my podcast, Mousterpiece Cinema!

Find me on Sound on Sight!

Follow me on Twitter!

Life as Fiction

• South of the Border, West of the Sun
    • Life as Fiction
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
mouseterpiece, glad you appreciated it at the very least.  It's one of my all-time favorites, and Park Chan-wook considers Masumura his second biggest influence after Kim Ki-young.  I'd suggest you have a go at Kisses (1957) and Giants and Toys (1958), both very different from Red Angel but still quite good. 

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
...and Blind Beast!  Craziness!