love

Author Topic: The Searchers  (Read 2896 times)

mweston

• My blog
The Searchers
« on: September 20, 2005, 03:54:32 PM »
I haven't listened to today's podcast yet, but I didn't see this on the agenda. So maybe I'm talking to myself.

In any case, I have heard that this is a great movie for some time, and saw a clip of it in in a film class, so I bought a copy last year. Thanks for providing a reason to finally watch it.

After watching it, I read Ebert's review, which is part of his "great movies" series. I have to say that I agree with most of what he writes. The film does have many beautiful shots. John Wayne did give a very good performance.

But I also agree that there are a bunch of problems with the film. The more comic moments, especially those involving the mentally-challenged Mose character, did not work at all for me. Ebert also hints that what Wayne does at the end of the film (which I'll not spoil but Ebert does) may not fit with what we know about the character, and this bothered me more than it seemed to have bothered Ebert.

Bottom line: It's a flawed film, and while the good parts do reduce the impact of the bad, I don't think I could give it higher than 3 out of 4 stars. I'm glad I saw it, but if I never see it again that won't be a tragedy.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

mweston

• My blog
The Searchers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 02:56:24 PM »
Okay, I heard on today's podcast that Adam and Sam have gotten a few e-mails on this film. Shouldn't the discussion being going on here, in the forum?

My copy of Stagecoach should be arriving today. Not that I'm planning to watch all of the westerns on the list, but this is another one I've meant to see.
- Mike "One's a Party, One's a Crowd" Weston

gateway

• Elite Member
  • Boom De Ah Da.
The Searchers
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 05:34:42 PM »
I had some problems with the decision Wayne's character makes at the end of the film, too (I'll try not to spoil anything, for those of you who might be watching it soon). I don't have a problem with what he eventually decides, but I don't like how it played out, it was far too sudden. Adam argued in the latest episode of Cinecast that Ethan Edwards (Wayne's character) himself didn't know what he was going to do until he actually did it, but I never saw that. If he was so uncertain, where was the hesitation? This may sound a little shallow, and a little unimaginative, but I kind've wanted John Ford to exploit that moment. Show a little anguish on Wayne's face over what he is going to do, just a moment of indecision.
"I hope someday to be rich enough to smoke giant cigars while cackling maniacally."
- Nathan Rabin (echoing my thoughts exactly)

sam

exactly, cody
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 08:25:07 PM »
A little hesitation on Wayne's face before "the act which will go unmentioned at the end of The Searchers."  My thoughts exactly.  And I agree that I wanted Ford to "exploit" the moment a little bit.  Which is a strange thing to want.  It makes me think I've been dumbed down by today's hammerhead Hollywood style.  I've been thinking a lot about what Adam said, and how he defended that moment.  It's an interesting thought.  And it's possible that Adam has a subtler and more canny intelligence that me.  But it's not what I saw when I watched the movie.  So there.

Thanks for the back up, Cody --

Sam

love