love

Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83568 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #370 on: March 16, 2020, 07:48:59 PM »
New Uzi album...fire. Truly the King of Philly.

Two weeks of straight fire from Uzi. Think that LUV vs. The World 2 is even better than Eternal Atake proper.

And apparently we're getting a new Fiona Apple album this year! She's gunning to shut down this decade early, just like the last one (MBDTF still on top tho...)

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #371 on: March 16, 2020, 07:56:27 PM »
Great news on Fiona Apple....
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #372 on: March 21, 2020, 04:43:31 AM »
New Jay Electronica? A Jay Electronica ALBUM?

Just heard a few tracks. Of course I listened to The Neverending Story first, and was no disappointed.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #373 on: March 21, 2020, 03:45:08 PM »
Fantano was not a fan-tano. I think I'm slightly more positive than he was on it, but was underwhelmed, though I don't put as much of that on Jay E as much as I do on Jay-Z. Like pretty much all of his other work, Jay-Z's presence consistently finds a way to make things feel remarkably dull. Truly a talent all on his own.

In the review he compared it less to a full Jay Electronica project and more to a much less ambitious Watch The Throne (another album that I don't like very much/one where Kanye is hamstrung by Jay-Z), and I don't think he's completely off base there. I do want to give it another try though, as I largely like most of what I've heard from Jay Electronica.

Need to fire up this new The Weeknd too, see if that's any good.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #374 on: March 28, 2020, 06:45:32 AM »

In the review he compared it less to a full Jay Electronica project and more to a much less ambitious Watch The Throne (another album that I don't like very much/one where Kanye is hamstrung by Jay-Z), and I don't think he's completely off base there. I do want to give it another try though, as I largely like most of what I've heard from Jay Electronica.

Remarking on this way after the fact, but I have been leery on Jay-Z since he "came out of retirement." However, I think the one of the few times he's actually brought it has been on Watch The Throne. Otis, That's My Bitch, Murder to Excellence, and Why I Love You are all amazing songs with Jay-Z really shining. Even if you disagree - which I'm accustomed to! - this was an album I remember not being excited for because I just wanted more Kanye West on the solo mission, but ended up enjoying big time. There was chemistry there for sure.

Anyone do electronic music here? Four Tet's Sixteen Oceans is an album perfect for our current time - you can put headphones on and enjoy its warm n wonderful beats, put it on in the background as you work from home, or just bang it.

Here's Baby, a single from the album.

I think he's the best electronic artist currently out, though there are millions, or so it'd seem. His stuff is also really upbeat, nothing that will make you mourn. There are some more serene moments with a tinge of melancholy, but almost out of a feeling of nostalgia for the life we have already lived and hoping for more.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #375 on: April 02, 2020, 07:32:38 PM »
GaGa delayed because of the corona v, but who gives a F because the new Fiona Apple album is coming this month!!!!

Think Thugger is about to drop some quarantine heat tomorrow too.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #376 on: April 04, 2020, 04:39:59 AM »
Gotta check for the new Yves Tumor bringing something special to an experimental soul groove album. I'm really feeling it.
Gospel for a New Century

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #377 on: April 05, 2020, 11:56:31 PM »
Anyone on here Elvis Costello fans? He's an artist I have not spent a ton of time with, though I've always wanted to because I overall dig his perspective, and a he seems a bit like a mad genius. Just wondering if anyone had any perspective to offer, i.e. your favorite songs or albums, or any other commentary.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #378 on: April 06, 2020, 12:16:04 AM »
"I Want You" is my most favorite song of his. There's not another song quite like it.

I'm fairly new to his music, but there are others here who are longtime fans.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #379 on: April 06, 2020, 01:24:13 AM »
Listening to it now...

Just listened to his first two albums, My Aim is True and This Year's Model, the latter clearly building from the former and set the stage for Armed Forces and Get Happy!!! which I've heard before and are rollickin', high-octane pop/rock masterpieces. It's crazy how different the sounds in those first four are to I Want You. His vocals are so much more prominent in the mix, everything he'son , at least in the 70's, he is extremely expressive, but having the music so much further in the background brings out every little contortion. It'll be interesting to see if this is where he goes, since this song is from an album 15 years after My Aim is True. I will say, I would not have wanted this song to have been recorded for me. It's certainly on the edge...