Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83520 times)

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #380 on: April 06, 2020, 05:02:09 AM »
I was a massive fan right from his debut in 1977 up to around Spike (1989) when i zoomed out, sort of, mainly because he opened up his musical landscape and diverted himself in new musical directions. I really treasured the thightness he and his fellow musicians (The Attractions) displayed before they split around the same time. The stand out album from this era I would say is Imperial Bedroom (1982), but to each his own. There are gems to be found on every album of his so don't get me started. After Spike I only have taken a distracted interest in his career, but I think that his latest offering Look Now (2018) actually was pretty good. Also, I guess that his TV show Spectacle: Elvis Costello with... (two seasons with 13 and 7 episodes respectively) is worth searching out. I have not seen it myself which I regret to some extent.
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #381 on: April 06, 2020, 09:04:32 AM »
Anyone on here Elvis Costello fans? He's an artist I have not spent a ton of time with, though I've always wanted to because I overall dig his perspective, and a he seems a bit like a mad genius. Just wondering if anyone had any perspective to offer, i.e. your favorite songs or albums, or any other commentary.

Oh yes! I was a fan starting in the mid-80s. Saw him perform in the summer of 1991. His first ten years are sublime, with the exception of Goodbye Cruel World (and I've never listened to Almost Blue because a record of country covers is just not appealing to me). Spike is half great, half forgettable. I rather like the underrated Mighty Like a Rose, except for "Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)", maybe his most unlistenable song. I like Brutal Youth. After that it's kind of spotty until his collaboration with Burt Bacharach, Painted From Memory, a gorgeous album. I don't think I've heard anything after that. Maybe I'll catch up with his 21st century work.

"I Want You" is my most favorite song of his.

Mine too! And it's on my favorite album, Blood & Chocolate.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #382 on: April 06, 2020, 08:26:55 PM »
"I Want You" is my most favorite song of his. There's not another song quite like it.

I'm fairly new to his music, but there are others here who are longtime fans.

Make sure to listen to the best version of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs46ZemsNDk

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #383 on: April 06, 2020, 10:29:39 PM »
Anyone on here Elvis Costello fans? He's an artist I have not spent a ton of time with, though I've always wanted to because I overall dig his perspective, and a he seems a bit like a mad genius. Just wondering if anyone had any perspective to offer, i.e. your favorite songs or albums, or any other commentary.

Oh yes! I was a fan starting in the mid-80s. Saw him perform in the summer of 1991. His first ten years are sublime, with the exception of Goodbye Cruel World (and I've never listened to Almost Blue because a record of country covers is just not appealing to me). Spike is half great, half forgettable. I rather like the underrated Mighty Like a Rose, except for "Hurry Down Doomsday (The Bugs Are Taking Over)", maybe his most unlistenable song. I like Brutal Youth. After that it's kind of spotty until his collaboration with Burt Bacharach, Painted From Memory, a gorgeous album. I don't think I've heard anything after that. Maybe I'll catch up with his 21st century work.

OK, I'm gonna put you - and anyone else who wants to join - on the spot: What are your five favorite albums and five favorite songs from Costello?

I'm a big fan of The Roots, but fell off a little with their most recent stuff, and have never heard their collaboration with Costello. I'll admit there's a little trepidation there, but they're one of the bands I'm doing a personal retrospective on.

Been listening to the song Night Rally the last 24, starts with that solemn Joy Division synthesizer, then ratchets up, teases you with the chorus, and then gives you those two words, so satisfyingly. What Costello does with keyboards, at least on this early work, shouldn't work as well as they do, it's almost circus-y, but it just works with him.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #384 on: April 06, 2020, 11:37:14 PM »
I honestly don’t know if I can narrow it down to 5 songs. I’ll post some kind of list tomorrow.

Knocked Out Loaded

• Elite Member
  • I might remember it all differently tomorrow.
« Reply #385 on: April 07, 2020, 06:29:37 AM »
Songs:
  • Beyond Belief
    The opening track on Imperial Bedroom. Blocked on Spotify but availible on several YouTube channels.
  • Shipbuilding
    A comment on the Falklands War released in 1983. The cover version by Rober Wyatt released in 1982 is an even more heartbreaking rendering of the song.
  • Everyday I Write The Book
    Twelve inch remixes were a huge phenomenon in the 80s and the Club Version of this song is my favourite.
  • Town Cryer
    Another track from the Imperial Bedroom album.
  • Big Sister
    B-side on the You Little Fool single, availible on the Out Of Our Idiot (1987) compilation.

Albums:
  • Imperial Bedroom (1982)
  • Get Happy!! (1980)
  • King Of America (1986)
  • Taking Liberties (1980)
    A compilation of single B-sides, alternative takes etc. originally released on cassette only in the UK under the title Ten Bloody Marys And Ten How's Your Fathers.
  • This Year's Model (1978)

Happy listening!
Extraordinary (81-100˚) | Very good (61-80˚) | Good (41-60˚) | Fair (21-40˚) | Poor (0-20˚)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #386 on: April 07, 2020, 09:33:58 AM »
Funny, I forgot Taking Liberties existed since the reissues have made it obsolete.

Okay, here we go. First, I'm just going to rank the albums:

1. Blood & Chocolate
2. This Year's Model
3. Trust
4. King of America
5. Punch the Clock
6. Get Happy!!
7. Imperial Bedroom
8. Painted from Memory
9. Armed Forces
10. Mighty Like a Rose
11. My Aim Is True
12. Spike
13. Brutal Youth

I know I said I liked Brutal Youth but looking at the track listing, only a couple of songs are jumping out at me. I'm just not that familiar with it. Likewise, The Juliet Letters and All This Useless Beauty have completely faded from memory. And I thought I had listened to Goodbye Cruel World at some point, but maybe I've just avoided it due to its reputation.

Now, songs... I went through and jotted down any I would consider for a top 5 and ended up with THIRTY-TWO. Paring it down to 5 would be too painful. Here's a top 10:

1. "I Want You" - I'm cheating here and using this as a representative for the entire Blood & Chocolate album, where only the shortest song ("Honey Are You Straight or Are You Blind?") doesn't thrill me.

2. "New Lace Sleeves" - I actually performed this one myself once.

3. "Everyday I Write the Book" - My introduction to EC. Sometimes dismissed by fans, but I think it's a perfect pop song with clever lyrics. I'm a huge fan of 12" singles, but somehow I don't think I've ever heard the club version (why is it not on Rhino's reissue?). Thanks KOL!

4. "Almost Blue" - gonna sneak "Shipbuilding" in here as well because they have a connection. Elvis invited Chet Baker to play trumpet on "Shipbuilding". Chet returned the favor by recording a cover of "Almost Blue" in the excellent documentary Let's Get Lost.

5. "Alison" - a cliché pick, perhaps, but oh so singable.

6. "Living in Paradise" - Like B&C, I love everything on This Year's Model, so I'm picking this as a placeholder for the album as a whole. This song has always stuck out to me for its videogame-y sounds.

7. "Beyond Belief" - I get swept up in the majesty of this song. The way it builds is fantastic.

8. "Indoor Fireworks" - So lovely. Another one I love to sing along to.

9. "God Give Me Strength" - Used nicely in the film Grace of My Heart.

10. "Possession" - "You lack lust, you're so lackluster" is a great line.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #387 on: April 07, 2020, 11:09:20 AM »
Amazing feedback, thanks! I've been listening to the first three albums, and Armed Forces is my favorite thus far. All three are great, though. 

Here's a Stereogum article that ranks all his studio albums (or almost all, doesn't include a few collaborations). Makes for an interesting read.

I'm going to make sure to listen to all the songs you all sent me ASAP.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #388 on: April 07, 2020, 11:38:35 AM »
That list makes me think I'm probably okay not investigating his later work. Their rankings are different than mine of course, but the only thing I really take issue with is placing Mighty on the bottom. If nothing else, there are some very catchy tunes on it.

Also it startled me to see one of the authors of that list is "Elizabeth Bracy"... my ex-wife's name. Definitely NOT the same person, though.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #389 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19:34 PM »
I plan to listen to them all and make my own judgment anyway. I like comparing my choices to other lists, though. Clarifies things for me. Listening to Get Happy!!! right now, and continue to be impressed. My only question about several other lists is that they have This Year's Model ahead of Armed Forces and Get Happy!!!, and I'm not hearing it.

love