Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83517 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #580 on: August 22, 2020, 02:50:07 AM »
I'm a massive Father John Misty fan, so I'll queue those tracks up. He was definitely a top five popular music artist from the 10's. Actually, let's do a list, why tf not?
1. Kanye West
2. Kendrick Lamar
3. Arcade Fire
4. Father John Misty
5. Mitski

Currently listening to the new Nas. Since I was in high school, people would get jacked for every new Nas released, and we were just perpetually disappointed. Truth be told, his first 3 go: All-time classic, really good, really good. Nastradamus was a misstep, but still had a few good songs. Stillmatic - great (without Braveheart Party); God's Sun (really good-to-great). I just can't account for everything after. To me, there hasn't been one album I've gone back to and even heard twice. There are a handful of tracks that have worked for me, but otherwise, Illmatic is the only Nas I really listen to anymore, and I can cleanly recite at least five of the songs. Maybe The Message and the Street Dreams Remix. Nas Is Like. Stillmatic gets the odd listen, God's Son never really.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #581 on: August 22, 2020, 03:12:58 PM »
I don't have much fondness for Nas either way, though definitely don't outright dislike him in the way I dislike the majority of Jay-Z's music. I'd have to think over 2010 artists in terms of a top 5, though off the top of my head I'd probably say:

1. Kanye West
2. Young Thug
3. James Blake
4. the Mountain Goats
5. Demi Lovato

tMG might not count though, and Jimmy B might actually be number 2.

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #582 on: August 22, 2020, 04:55:49 PM »
None of these are Kendrick Lamar.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #583 on: August 22, 2020, 05:26:29 PM »
Can't put someone in the top five when they only have 4 albums in that time frame and 1/4th of them is a hard 0/10. If I was to put a TDE member on the list, it would be Ab-Soul easily.

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #584 on: August 22, 2020, 07:00:20 PM »

Current listening. I love all these albums  :) 

I'm also happy, very happy to be out of step with what's currently popular.
Father John Misty is great though  :)  Gentleness is the soul

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2020, 12:29:01 AM »
None of these are Kendrick Lamar.

FLY doesn't like people who are the best at what they do.  ;)

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #586 on: August 24, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »
Current listening. I love all these albums  :) 

I'm also happy, very happy to be out of step with what's currently popular.
Father John Misty is great though  :)  Gentleness is the soul

Listening to the Tyler Ramsey album. It's perfectly peaceful. Thanks for highlighting it, Monty. Next up will be something from Father John Misty.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #587 on: August 24, 2020, 05:56:52 PM »
Look forward to your thoughts, Sandy! I would say of any recording artists currently at it, his worldview most closely mirrors my own. He makes beautiful melodies anyone could grab a hold of, but his societal critiques and stream of consciousness (at times) mirror many of my own views AND patterns of thought, at times veering into the impressionistic and strange. So, whether you want it or not, listening to him lets you know me better!

I’d start with I Love You, Honeybear; go deeper down the rabbit hole of his consciousness with Pure Comedy.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #588 on: August 27, 2020, 12:12:09 AM »
Look forward to your thoughts, Sandy! I would say of any recording artists currently at it, his worldview most closely mirrors my own. He makes beautiful melodies anyone could grab a hold of, but his societal critiques and stream of consciousness (at times) mirror many of my own views AND patterns of thought, at times veering into the impressionistic and strange. So, whether you want it or not, listening to him lets you know me better!

I’d start with I Love You, Honeybear; go deeper down the rabbit hole of his consciousness with Pure Comedy.

Reporting back. :)

The "I Love You, Honeybear" album would make a good companion piece to the conversation in the Dating/Relationships thread here. According to Father John/Tillman, relationships can be incredibly messy and confusing, yet "surprisingly simple." Basically it's, "The world is burning around us, but hey, I like you." It's hopeful nihilism. The first time through the album, I was working in another room, so heard a ballady, pleasant, very listenable sound. Then later, I read the lyrics. There's some chaotic darkness swirling in there. I liked "I Love You, Honeybear" the most, with it's catchy sound. I kept thinking Honeybunny though. :) My favorite moment in the album is at the end of it, where he lifts up to that G note and sings, "store. one. day."

G.K. Chesteron, the "prince of paradox", said, "Always be comic in a tragedy. What the deuce else can you do?" I throw my arms up and say, "Agreed." The absurdities get to be too much some times, so outlet albums like this must be very cathartic. I could spend a good deal of time just unpacking the first song "Pure Comedy." Every line cuts sharply and reopens some old wounds. That's a good thing, for as E.M. Forester said, "Pull out from the depths those thoughts that you do not understand, and spread them out in the sunlight and know the meaning of them." Shedding light on and examining old, unresolved hurts, is good healing.

Having walked away from religion 3 1/2 years ago, on bad days, I'm an apatheist, but most days I belong to the church of "each other's all we got." This song could be the anthem for us disillusioned apostates. Besides "Pure Comedy" the other song which most caught my attention is "Things It Would Have Been Helpful to Know Before the Revolution." Post Covid anthem? These lyrics made me think of Warm Bodies.

But the tribe at the former airport
Some nights has meat and dancing
If you don't mind gathering and hunting
We're all still pretty good at eating on the run

:D

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #589 on: August 27, 2020, 05:25:05 AM »
Father John Misty - So I'm Growing Old on Magic Mountain