Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83348 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #780 on: April 09, 2021, 01:54:03 PM »
RIP to the dog, DMX. One of the 🐐s.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2021, 11:08:57 PM »
RIP to the dog, DMX. One of the 🐐s.

Only thing he did with 🐐s was abuse them.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #782 on: April 16, 2021, 07:07:15 AM »
Idk if he owned goats.

Big day today. New Conway The Machine and, finally, the god has returned, though, sadly, not on a solo project. A metric ton of features lines Young Thug and the rest of the YSL family’s latest group project Slime Language 2.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #783 on: April 16, 2021, 11:07:02 PM »
LoL, I wasn't seeing straight. Thought it was a dog.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #784 on: April 17, 2021, 05:15:59 AM »
Thugger once again proving his genius. Has the song “Diamonds Dancing” that features Travis Scott, then the very next song features Drake. Guy is on another level.

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #785 on: April 22, 2021, 11:57:41 AM »
While I feel like popularity and quality is orthogonal as it relates to artists, it feels like they are strongly related when talking about songs from a single artist. I suppose there is a familiarity bias and one often likes what they have heard most...radio songs have a way of growing on you, but I feel like if you go through a new artist blind, there's a good chance you'd end up picking the popular songs more often than deep cuts. Like, they aren't choosing singles randomly.

Inspiration of this thought is I've been working through Taylor Swift's catalog and the singles predominate as the ones I'd pull for a greatest hits, even on the first album whose singles aren't really familiar to me.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #786 on: April 22, 2021, 07:13:53 PM »
While I feel like popularity and quality is orthogonal as it relates to artists, it feels like they are strongly related when talking about songs from a single artist. I suppose there is a familiarity bias and one often likes what they have heard most...radio songs have a way of growing on you, but I feel like if you go through a new artist blind, there's a good chance you'd end up picking the popular songs more often than deep cuts. Like, they aren't choosing singles randomly.

Inspiration of this thought is I've been working through Taylor Swift's catalog and the singles predominate as the ones I'd pull for a greatest hits, even on the first album whose singles aren't really familiar to me.

Pop music is geared toward the individual track more so than any other music, in the past and now. 90's/aughts hip-hop is my shit, and some of the worst songs on many 90's albums were the singles, because they were the way artists could crossover to the mainstream while still making rugged music the rest of the way. Punk is also another genre that is about the album or using smaller statements to build a bigger statement, which would be distorted by making the obvious single.

Also have absolutely no idea what you mean by orthogonal, but if it means that artistry and popularity correlate, that is wrong, and if it means the opposite, that is right, and anywhere in between then I don't understand lol.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #787 on: April 22, 2021, 07:18:16 PM »
Think that's especially true in pop music, because (some would say, FLY doesn't bother himself with all that theory and the math behind instrumentals and the like) with Ms. Swift her only good songs are "You Belong With Me" and "Love Story (not Taylor's Version)".

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #788 on: April 22, 2021, 08:20:47 PM »
Orthogonal means uncorrelated, operating on different axes.

FLY, specifying not Taylor’s version is gross. Instead of thinly disguised misogyny consider touching grass.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #789 on: April 22, 2021, 08:40:18 PM »
Artists should own their masters, but the entire re-recording process to reclaim them is a business move, not a fight against the patriarchy.

love