love

Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 66932 times)

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #960 on: November 14, 2022, 10:19:47 PM »
You mean in physical media format?  That likely 70 CDs just for the J’s!

You ain't know about MT's music collection game. It's mean.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #961 on: November 14, 2022, 11:02:54 PM »
It's all digital now. I used to have quite a sizable collection of physical media, but I sold it all off during a lengthy unemployed period.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #962 on: November 15, 2022, 12:09:12 AM »
The game is around these parts?
"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #963 on: November 15, 2022, 09:03:54 PM »
It's all digital now. I used to have quite a sizable collection of physical media, but I sold it all off during a lengthy unemployed period.

Still a collection! That's kind of how collections go now. If I had a path toward an all digital movie collection that I owned and couldn't be taken from me at the whim of a company, I'd go that route, too. I love the packaging, hate taking up space.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #964 on: November 15, 2022, 09:27:59 PM »
I digitzed my cd collection (well, they already are digital but you know what I mean) but mostly threw out the CD cases except for my SACDs.  I even managed to digitize them which was a difficult process.  I still mostly just play from tidal unless it is something I have on SACD or Bluray audio.  It's rare that I buy new media but did buy PInk Floyd Animals remix in blu ray but I should have done the SACD
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #965 on: November 15, 2022, 09:39:48 PM »
I digitzed my cd collection (well, they already are digital but you know what I mean) but mostly threw out the CD cases except for my SACDs.  I even managed to digitize them which was a difficult process.  I still mostly just play from tidal unless it is something I have on SACD or Bluray audio.  It's rare that I buy new media but did buy PInk Floyd Animals remix in blu ray but I should have done the SACD

Animals remix? Now I'm not a total Floyd neophyte, I just don't go much deeper than Dark Side, Animals, and The Wall. Listened to Animals a lot in college. Is it actually remixed, as opposed to remastered? Like, over techno beats or something? ;) Daft Punk x Animals?

We haven't talked about this in a while, but I stream Qobuz through Roon, and I LOVE it. I put together an Intel NUC and installed the Roon OS there (got the i5, don't see why you need more than that for this task), and it does the trick. I got a Cary Audio streamer used, awesome as well. Cornwalls are the missing piece, now!

I'm not really sure switching from Tidal to Qobuz mattered all THAT much, but moving to Roon for it's interface and all the geeky features has been great. Tidal's app is way superior to Qobuz's buggy POS, but Roon makes any of them better to use imo. With the update, you can even stream your own music files you have stored on a NAS or on the NUC itself to your mobile device, and it works better than I ever expected. Don't even need to have the Qobuz app anymore, they really just provide the catalog.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #966 on: November 16, 2022, 12:15:23 AM »
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/breadth-music-heard-pink-floyd’s-new-animals-2018-remix-shines-through-some-copies-first

I guess it will depend on the definition of remix vs remaster.  It is not a remix in that they are inserting techno into the mix but also maybe more than just a remaster of the original recording.  At least the original recording is tweaked to give a fresh sound to it otherwise it is same overall.

Most refer to is as a remix but I am not hung up on how it should be classified, it sounds much better than the original

I haven’t touched my setup in a while, working on another project at the moment.  Last I tried to play my headless PC, I couldn’t access it from VNC.  I need to pull it and connect to a monitor to see what is going on, likely a new update happened which is requiring me to go through some Microsoft setup steps. I also having to pull everything from my NAS to temp storage for now, my NAS is at least 12 years old now and giving me signs it has had it.  But transferring stuff off has been slow and difficult.  But need to wait till next year to find a replacement NAS.  But would like to pick up a discussion on your current setup in the tech thread

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #967 on: January 11, 2023, 09:08:38 AM »
I'm starting to get a little more ruthless with my collection, deleting stuff that I'm not that wild about. Moving on to the K's, a few big ones here:

Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - 7 hrs
Keith Hudson - 7 hrs
Kesha - 6 hrs
King Tubby - 42 hrs
Klaus Schulze - 13 hrs
The KLF - 14 hrs
Kool & the Gang - 12 hrs
Kraftwerk - 6 hrs

I think Prince and Pet Shop Boys might be the only artists who exceed King Tubby in my collection. The thing with dub music is some of those guys cranked out massive amounts of content, and if you like one chances are you're gonna like it all. It's all very same-y.

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #968 on: January 11, 2023, 11:22:31 PM »