love

Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83551 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
I read those all the time, but somehow I missed this one.

Oh yes.  God yes.  I want to punch that song in the privates.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2014, 12:42:16 PM »
 ;D

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
If asked I'd do Chris de Burgh's "Lady in Red" or Extreme's "Get the Funk Out".
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
Someone already took Kid Rock's "Bawitdaba," though "All Summer Long" is probably even more offensive.

High on my list would be P.O.D's "Youth of a Nation" Good Charlotte's "The Anthem" and Yellowcard's "Ocean Avenue" but I think Everclear's "Father of Mine" would take the cake.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »
I'd say Two Princes or What's Up but both are so obviously crap it goes without saying. McCulloch on Little Help From My Friends is just funny.

Personally With or Without You by U2 needs nuking from orbit.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 02:05:58 PM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:59 PM »
Confession... of all the 90's crap, I don't count "Two Princes" among it. Pocket is an inoffensive time capsule of a particular era.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #86 on: February 11, 2014, 02:39:55 PM »
You put your finger on it. Inoffensive music like nails on a blackboard.  You have such good taste man. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of THAT? Too much  I'm not big enough. I admit it.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »
Confession: I once enjoyed the Spin Doctors so much I actually went to see them live.  It was just a few months before they broke big.

Although I got bored with them pretty quick, I still think they're okay.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2014, 04:28:06 PM »
You put your finger on it. Inoffensive music like nails on a blackboard.  You have such good taste man. I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of THAT? Too much  I'm not big enough. I admit it.

haha, yeah, in some things, I find inoffensiveness to be the worst of all possible options. in music though, for me, there are certain options that stir up waves of viceral offense that it almost quaint to think of some of that non-offensive material in the same kind of context.

The combination of melody, harmony, lyrical content, how a vocal strikes you adversely, to a lesser degree musicianship, to an surprisingly large degree how it fits into your own cultural puzzle, ect feels like an astounding and unique enterprise when thinking of how its possible to illogically adore or despise a 3 minute aural object. Was it a grossly overplayed hit, did yr friends like it and you just never joined in, how is it tied into your life at the time, the song of THAT summer or something that you shared with a grandparent or a hated Ex's favorite jam ect. Sense memory, nostalgia, 3 chords, the truth, ect.

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
    • my movie blog
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2014, 05:24:20 PM »
Well, this seems relevant.

Without listening to what they have to say, here's my take on their choices:

'Wonderful Christmas Time' - I frickin' love this song.

'No Rain' - Yeah, this is pretty annoying, but I haven't thought about it in years.

'I Can't Go for That (No Can Do)' - You gotta be kidding me! Greatness!

'It's A Small World' - Goes without saying

'We Built This City' - Easily in my top 5 most hated songs.  An obvious choice, but one that cannot be ignored.

'We Are The World' - Yeah, I guess.  It definitely pales in comparison to "Do They Know It's Xmas?" and the other throw-a-bunch-of-stars-in-a-recording-studio-for-social-justice song of the era, "Sun City"

'Dirty Laundry' - Ugh, Henley.  Very grating song.

'Baby, I Love Your Way' - Trite and bland, but I kinda like it.

'MacArthur Park' - Gets referenced a lot, but it was always too far off my radar to bother me.  Listening now, yeah, it's rather intolerable.

'Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da' - There are way worse Beatles songs, but I guess it had some personal relevance for this guy.

'Brown Eyed Girl' - Ha, I love Carrie Brownstein's explanation for hating it.  I imagine that would drive me nuts too.

'Don't Stop' - The Clintons killed this one.

'Paradise by the Dashboard Light' - Never liked Meatloaf

'Aba Daba Honeymoon' - One of my favorite parts of Two Weeks With Love but I can see how this would get on someone's nerves.  In fact, I doubt I would ever want to listen to it out of context.

'Blue (Da Ba Dee)' - This one is new to me.  Yeah, this is bad.  Novelty songs are generally a drag.

'Dur dur d'être bébé!' - Another new one.  See above, but even worse.

'Mambo No. 5' - I don't know why this was ever a hit.  It's not unbearably annoying to me, but I sure don't love it.

'Do You Know the Way to San Jose' - Come on now.  You don't mess with Bacharach/David/Warwick.

'Africa' - I love this one too!  Yeah, the lyrics are godawful but I dig the music.

'Wild, Wild West' - Ugh!  I'd forgotten this existed.  I'm annoyed that I'm now reminded of it.

'We Didn't Start the Fire' - Maybe #1 for me.  Everything, simply everything about this song is terrible. 

love