Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83340 times)

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2014, 05:47:50 PM »
Some good stuff on that list.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
Some good stuff on that list.

seriously.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2014, 11:58:12 PM »
The combination of melody, harmony, lyrical content, how a vocal strikes you adversely, to a lesser degree musicianship, to an surprisingly large degree how it fits into your own cultural puzzle, ect feels like an astounding and unique enterprise when thinking of how its possible to illogically adore or despise a 3 minute aural object. Was it a grossly overplayed hit, did yr friends like it and you just never joined in, how is it tied into your life at the time, the song of THAT summer or something that you shared with a grandparent or a hated Ex's favorite jam ect. Sense memory, nostalgia, 3 chords, the truth, ect.

(borrowing smirnoff's gif)   

Would you like to take over my music thread ¡Keith! :D

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2014, 01:43:50 AM »
LOL "Why he hates Kumbaya"

The Some Nights one got me irked because he talked about it cribbing from Cecilia, which is a big reach. Apparently that song claims ownership on an entire phonetic sound, and "oh" at that.

¡Keith!

• Objectively Awesome
  • Bitch, I been around since LimeWire.
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2014, 02:11:30 AM »
The combination of melody, harmony, lyrical content, how a vocal strikes you adversely, to a lesser degree musicianship, to an surprisingly large degree how it fits into your own cultural puzzle, ect feels like an astounding and unique enterprise when thinking of how its possible to illogically adore or despise a 3 minute aural object. Was it a grossly overplayed hit, did yr friends like it and you just never joined in, how is it tied into your life at the time, the song of THAT summer or something that you shared with a grandparent or a hated Ex's favorite jam ect. Sense memory, nostalgia, 3 chords, the truth, ect.

(borrowing smirnoff's gif)   

Would you like to take over my music thread ¡Keith! :D

:)

though maybe I'll secretly suggest ones I dislike to see the reaction :evil laugh:

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 10:39:00 PM »
"Wonderful Christmas Time"-- Closely related to MY #1 most hated song of all time-- Feliz Navidad.  It's not enough that these songs repeat themselves ad nauseum, but they are repeated endlessly every year.  As long as I go to a mall, I will never escape the repetition of these sappy holiday greetings.  I hate them both, but I can't really hate Paul McCartney, so I have to just hate Feliz Navidad with the burning hatred of a million suns.

"MacArthur Park"-- Yep, it's horrible.  But it is so over the top that it acts as it's own parody.  Yes, Weird Al took the tune and made it into Jurassic Park, but it could be a Weird Al tune all by itself.  My favorite version is by Donna Summer, but Richard Harris' version is classically bad.

"We Didn't Start the Fire"-- A mediocre song by Billy Joel is awful.  And the Company made Joel get rid of his regular band-- the guys he grew up with-- to make this album.  Trash.  However, my son loves this song.

"Africa" is pretty good.  "Do You Know the Way to San Jose?" is good.   "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" I always found to be irritating, but it's got a Broadway feel to it that I've always liked. 
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2014, 12:53:46 AM »
The biggest problem with Paradise By The Dashboard Light is it is like 45 minutes long and a karaoke standard. It is also not good, which makes it worse than some of the other obnoxiously long songs that people like to sing.

I won't dignify Billy Joel hate with a response, though I don't particularly defend We Didn't Start The Fire.

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2014, 08:08:09 AM »
Paradise By The Dashboard Light is terrific. Goes without saying that We Didn't Start the Fire is a living nightmare.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Just to clarify, I love Billy Joel.  That's why the very-close-to-terrible song is bad.  Because he can do better.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2014, 11:21:15 AM »
Ah, misinterpreted that. On the other hand, shouldn't we be willing to forgive when an artist does something kind of intentionally cheesy on a lark?

love