Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83349 times)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
These are the best things imaginable. The Track Listing to a happy Decemberists album.

I love that list.  I read it out to my daughters and they just looked at me as if I were an alien.  My parental job is done.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »
I was cracking up at work with it. “You Can Keep Your Heart Inside Your Own Body” is a song that I hope they actually write. The official Facebook page shared it, so I'm pretty sure they're aware of it.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

sdb_1970

• Elite Member
letterboxd

[insert pithy expression of false modesty here]

The Deer Hunter

• Elite Member
  • My name is Jeff
« Reply #143 on: December 22, 2014, 03:15:03 PM »

:D :D :D

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2014, 04:31:25 PM »
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #145 on: January 26, 2015, 12:45:10 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/article/sam-smith-pay-tom-petty-royalties-basically-writin-214328

Apparently it has been legally agreed that Sam Smith borrowed from Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down" for his song "Stay With Me" and credit/royalties will be given. Thing is, other than one small syncopated beat, I hear zero similarities, and that could easily be incidental. I'm not sure if Smith actually was influenced or if this is just a move to avoid unwanted legal action (that they would probably win but maybe at greater expense including potential bad PR). Still, this is another example of why intellectual property law drives me crazy.

Based on the mashup here, it seems that the primary contention is that the song is also in 4/4 with bass drum on the down beat and hi-hat/tambourine on the up beat. It is just absurd (especially since they speed up Stay With me to make it fit).

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #146 on: January 26, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »
Now I know where I'd heard that tune before. It's music. Do what you want with it. Who owns notes? But yeah chuck an old dinosaur a few squid whilst you improve his tune.
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #147 on: January 26, 2015, 02:22:56 PM »
http://www.avclub.com/article/sam-smith-pay-tom-petty-royalties-basically-writin-214328

Apparently it has been legally agreed that Sam Smith borrowed from Tom Petty's "Won't Back Down" for his song "Stay With Me" and credit/royalties will be given. Thing is, other than one small syncopated beat, I hear zero similarities, and that could easily be incidental. I'm not sure if Smith actually was influenced or if this is just a move to avoid unwanted legal action (that they would probably win but maybe at greater expense including potential bad PR). Still, this is another example of why intellectual property law drives me crazy.

Based on the mashup here, it seems that the primary contention is that the song is also in 4/4 with bass drum on the down beat and hi-hat/tambourine on the up beat. It is just absurd (especially since they speed up Stay With me to make it fit).

There's also the little thing about the vocal melody on the chorus being 100% exactly the same.  Do you really not hear that??

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #148 on: January 26, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Yeah, I hear it.  Probably coincidence.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

heisenbergman

• Hey.
« Reply #149 on: January 26, 2015, 06:54:17 PM »
Sure parts of them (not the whole songs) sound exactly the same but... idk. There are only so many notes and so much music so things are bound to sound the same in varying degrees. So it's difficult to conclude that the sounding the same was intentional...

love