Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 20110 times)

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2016, 07:02:16 PM »
In the past few days or so photos have been released of the gun that Kurt Cobain shot and killed himself with. I've seen a few of these photos and my initial thought was "That's a big CINECASTING gun, how the hell do you manage to shoot yourself with that gun? after you've took some heroin"

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2016, 09:27:21 PM »
Two different handwritings on the note!
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

Verite

• Elite Member
  • Stay gold.
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2016, 11:39:24 PM »
"I never let a statue tell me how nice I am" -Phife

RIP   :(
"When in doubt, seduce."
                   -Elaine May

1SO

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • Marathon Man
« Reply #193 on: May 15, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »
Is "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails still regarded as a relevant classic song, or is it a classic of its time? Does a modern generation appreciate it?
Must See  |  Should See  |  Good  |  Mixed  |  Bad

DarkeningHumour

• Objectively Awesome
  • When not sure if sarcasm look at username.
    • Pretentiously Yours
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2016, 02:52:05 AM »
I know the group, but I'm a nerd. And I cannot remember the song itself.
« Society is dumb. Art is everything. » - Junior

https://pretensiouslyyours.wordpress.com/

jdc

• Godfather
  • Accept the mystery
« Reply #195 on: May 16, 2016, 03:25:12 AM »
Is "Closer" by Nine Inch Nails still regarded as a relevant classic song, or is it a classic of its time? Does a modern generation appreciate it?

Do we need to rely a modern generation to be able to classify something as a classic?  Or should we do it by the generation of when they were big and if people still want to listen to them? 

In general, it seems newer music won't have the lasting power and a song seems to be considered old much quicker.  So I am guessing there will be fewer and fewer songs that get labeled as a classic over time.  But then, I am also getting older so probably understand modern music less and less.

I think I would consider it classic though

"Beer. Now there's a temporary solution."  Homer S.
“The direct use of physical force is so poor a solution to the problem of limited resources that it is commonly employed only by small children and great nations” - David Friedman

Monty

• Elite Member
  • "There is only one ball, so you need to have it."
    • TheMontyTweets
« Reply #196 on: May 16, 2016, 07:34:23 AM »
It's a classic when Father John Misty covers it  ;D  'f-bomb' alert, for those who don't know the song.

"And then it just becomes an industry of...cool."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #197 on: May 16, 2016, 08:52:43 AM »
Now that most things 90s are turning 20 I could say they have reached classic status for an aging guy like me who does miss the tunes of his youth.  Certainly NIN's Closer is a classic and I think it has staying power of a great, classic song.  I mean people are still covering it, I'm not sure when Father John Misty put his out, but I know in the past few years In This Moment did a rendition (not one I was particularly fond of, Father John up there is pretty good and Closer to the original).  As for the modern generation part of the question, I'd have to defer to someone younger. 
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #198 on: May 16, 2016, 12:58:54 PM »
Oh my! :o

I've never heard that song before. And you guys call it a classic, haha! I don't know whether to be terrified by it or turned on. :))
"I'm a new day rising."

colonel_mexico

• Elite Member
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2016, 01:41:15 PM »
Haha Sandy you are so cool, I believe it's both so you had the right impression lol!
"What do you want me to do draw you a picture?! Spell it out?! Don't ever ask me, as long as you live don't ever ask me more!"