love

Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83545 times)

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #240 on: September 13, 2016, 09:03:53 AM »
Think I got about halfway through their 2010s list. It was a lot of fun.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #241 on: September 13, 2016, 04:32:07 PM »
Dang, just the top 20 introduced me to two songs I'd never heard before that are unabashedly great.   I'll go through the rest of it in anticipation.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #242 on: September 13, 2016, 06:45:16 PM »
I've been going through the Pitchfork top 200 songs of the 60s list to get some songs I might have missed on my own. What a great list! I think I'm gonna do all the decades. The site can be hit and miss as far as current stuff goes, but at least in this 60s list they do a great job of hitting a lot of genres.
What are your favourite discoveries from the list?
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #243 on: September 14, 2016, 12:29:04 AM »
For discussions sake,  anyone think Gimme Shelter, Day in the Life or Can't Explain are the best songs of those three bands? I can only make an argument for one of them. "Gimme Shelter" seems to be the du jour answer for the Stones.

They started this list with Sunny Afternoon at 200. Then every other song got judged against that one.  :D
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Junior

• Bert Macklin, FBI
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
  • What's the rumpus?
    • Benefits of a Classical Education
« Reply #244 on: September 14, 2016, 12:48:49 AM »
I've been going through the Pitchfork top 200 songs of the 60s list to get some songs I might have missed on my own. What a great list! I think I'm gonna do all the decades. The site can be hit and miss as far as current stuff goes, but at least in this 60s list they do a great job of hitting a lot of genres.
What are your favourite discoveries from the list?

I've only made it through number 89 so far. These are the ones I've gotten into thanks to this list. Some of this will be embarrassing (like my near-complete lack of knowledge wrt Simon and Garfunkel).

007 (Shanty Town) - Desmond Dekker and the Aces
America - Simon and Garfunkel
Care of Cell 44 - The Zombies
The Boxer - Simon and Garfunkel
Crimson and Clover - Tommy James and the Shondells
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down - The Band
This Will Be Our Year - The Zombies
These Days - Nico

I would say that Gimme Shelter is up there for the Stones, same for A Day in the Life. I change my answer for Dylan every day. Today I'm a Tangled Up In Blue guy.
Check out my blog of many topics

“I’m not a quitter, Kimmy! I watched Interstellar all the way to the end!”

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2016, 11:52:40 AM »
Gimme Shelter and A Day in the Life are certainly arguable.

I'm surprised that Can't Explain would make anyone's top ten of a list of Who songs.  It's a fine song, but it sounds like a warm-up for Substitute or The Seeker.

Sandy

• Objectively Awesome
  • "The life we build, we never stop creating.”
    • Sandy's Cinematic Musings
« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »
Great discoveries, Junior!

For discussions sake,  anyone think Gimme Shelter, Day in the Life or Can't Explain are the best songs of those three bands?

I'm good with "Gimme Shelter," but would have been thrilled and super surprised to see "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

I can't argue with "A Day In The Life." There's too much serendipitous goodness that went into it, to do so. I equate it to the "planets aligning" of Casablanca, where all these disparate elements of creative forces conjoined together to create something wholly unique and perfect.

"I Can't Explain" doesn't do a lot for me. It's almost like saying "Love Me Do" is the Beatles greatest song. The Who's first single is much better than that, but it's still a precursor of things to come. I wish I could pick the 1973 song, "Love, Reign O'er Me," but since it's not an option, I'd be fine with "My Generation" for a "snapshot of the times" song.

edit: or what oldkid said!

But! I was so happy to see "God Only Knows" as the #1! There's really no argument about that one, is there? :)

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
No, can't argue with God Only Knows.  Sometimes I want to, (shouldn't the Beatles have the top slot? Really, give it to the Beach Boys?) but I simply can't.  Brian Wilson, especially in Pet Sounds, displayed his musical genius that everyone else was catching up to.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2016, 12:16:04 PM »
I can argue with 3 Beach Boys song inside the top 20 when "Sitting on The Dock of the Bay", "Tracks of my Tears" and "Heard It Through The Grapevine" aren't. These things are there to argue with aren't they.

Scorcese ruined Gimme Shelter. :o
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #249 on: September 14, 2016, 06:51:55 PM »
You guys are crazy. "I Can't Explain" is definitely top notch Who for me.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

love