Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83565 times)

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #290 on: November 27, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
I had a sudden, out-of-nowhere hankering to listen to "Condition of the Heart" the other day, and man, is that a good song.

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #291 on: November 28, 2016, 07:48:14 PM »
Martin and verbals, if you guys could please give me your lists of top Prince songs?  I am sadly out of touch with Prince, because his pop stuff didn't do anything for me.  I know that both of you have made these lists, so if you remember where they are, you can link them.  Please?  ;D
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

mañana

• Objectively Awesome
  • Check your public library
« Reply #292 on: November 28, 2016, 10:29:13 PM »
if you guys could please give me your lists of top Prince songs
I accept your challenge.
There's no deceit in the cauliflower.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #293 on: November 29, 2016, 12:03:54 AM »
OK thanks for asking.

It might be easier; since it still looks like Prince's estate are as zealous as ever about taking down online songs, to recommend an album. Sign o the Times would be my pick; stunning eclectic work. He's also quite grown up, less the smutty little devil; mainly because he put all the sex on The Black Album which is a pure funk album. "Sign" has a lot of very mature rock on it.

So I can indulge myself with some 12" picks since that's what I've been listening to and Prince really stretches out on some of them;

How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore
When You Were Mine
Partyup
DMSR
Let's Go Crazy 12" version
Paisley Park
Mountains 12"
Sometimes It Snows In April
Hot Thing 12"
Forever in my Life (esp. the SotT film version)
Gonna Be A Beautiful Night
Thieves In The Temple 12"

The Purple Rain and Parade concert videos are both amazing.

I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

MartinTeller

• FAB
  • Objectively Awesome
  • martinteller.wordpress.com
    • my movie blog
« Reply #294 on: November 29, 2016, 12:10:01 AM »
I don't think I ever posted such a list... maybe I've forgotten.

I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Eye No
Erotic City
I Would Die 4 U
Controversy
Sometimes It Snows In April
Mountains
Starfish & Coffee
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
Scarlet Pussy
I Wanna Be Your Lover
When You Were Mine
Jack U Off
the entire first half of 1999 (1999/Little Red Corvette/Delirious/Let's Pretend We're Married/D.M.S.R.)... and most of the second half while we're at it
Take Me With U
Purple Rain
Let's Go Crazy
Condition of the Heart
Paisley Park
Forever in My Life
Play in the Sunshine
Hot Thing
I Wish U Heaven

I know this is a long list, but honest my instinct is to say "his entire 80's output". Including Batman, because that's got some good stuff too. The first two albums from the 70's I'm less familiar with, but I like them. I pretty much jumped ship with Graffiti Bridge... since then I've gone back and found plenty to like in his post-80's catalog, but I'm just not that familiar with it yet.

verbALs got his post in before me, but I will second his choice of the 12" versions... in most cases, they're fantastic.

Even though I highlighted 1999 in my list, if I was going to recommend a single album, I would also choose Sign o the Times. Purple Rain is pretty tough to beat too (although I've always found "Darling Nikki" to be something of a speedbump, at least on the verses).

Not a big fan of The Black Album, I find parts of it kind of embarrassing. Prince is usually awkward when he tries to come off as hard.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:11:43 AM by MartinTeller »

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #295 on: November 29, 2016, 12:39:50 AM »
Love the crossovers. I veered away from 1999. It gets raunchy.  ;D

I can agree on Batman. I think Prince was so creative that he needed a little channelling like the movie projects. An idea to hang his ideas around.

Give your folks a call
Tell em you're going to the crystal ball
Tell em you're coming home late if you're coming home at all
Tell em you found a brand new babydoll

-Hot Thing

The Black Album certainly did a lot of damage and started the war with the record company. It marks the end of that cycle. So it's important for different reasons. "Rockhard in a Funky Place" would be a good choice. He did "Bob George" on the Lovesexy tour. That's an experience! The concert films are another way to attack this body of work.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 12:58:44 AM by verbALs »
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

oldkid

• Objectively Awesome
  • Hi there! Feed me worlds!
« Reply #296 on: November 29, 2016, 01:38:56 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Tomorrow man, if you have additional songs, please let me know.

You're right, v, about his stuff not being available through streaming.  But I'll listen to them as I can and let you guys know what I think.
"It's not art unless it has the potential to be a disaster." Bansky

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #297 on: November 29, 2016, 02:06:18 PM »
Just checking. Does anyone else here pay for streaming music?

It's only £10 a month here and I pay a bit more so the whole family can access it but it still seems cheap for what you get.

Actually I wonder why they don't extend it to films. For Apple or Amazon that would give them a jump on Spotify. Actually Prime covers music and film I think. It's just I remember the films you got being rubbish.

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
« Reply #298 on: November 29, 2016, 03:03:57 PM »
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music recently. We pay $14.99/month and my wife and I both have access to it.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #299 on: November 29, 2016, 03:12:13 PM »
£14.99 here which is quite a bit more but still good value for being everything! What differences do you find between Spotify and Apple?