Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83492 times)

Corndog

• Objectively Awesome
  • Oo-da-lolly, Oo-da-lolly, golly what a day!
    • Corndog Chats
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #300 on: November 29, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »
I think Apple consistently has more available music, though Spotify had gotten better before we left. I liked the collabroative playlists on Spotify that aren't available in Apple, where two users could contribute, but overall I think the usability of Apple is better, and cleaner than Spotify. They are close, and I don't think you could go wrong with either, but as an Apple user anyway, I find it easier to use Apple Music.
"Time is the speed at which the past decays."

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #301 on: November 29, 2016, 03:45:22 PM »
I still keep myself free. If I had a longer commute, I might consider it, but I live 10 minutes from work, so most of my music listening is done at a computer and I generally don't mind the ads for something like Spotify. I'm not sure if I have access to Amazon Prime Music. I'm not the primary Prime account, so I have to use my mom's account to get access to Prime Videos. Imagine it's the same for music.

St. Martin the Bald

• Lurker
  • Global Moderator
  • Objectively Awesome
« Reply #302 on: November 29, 2016, 07:07:37 PM »
I believe the first four tracks on Regina Spektor's Fidelity album are perfect. In fact sometimes that's all I listen to (along w/ the Hotel Song)...
Hey, nice marmot!

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #303 on: December 01, 2016, 02:01:36 PM »
New Album of the Week; No.10

Goodnight City- Martha Wainwright (release date: November 11, 2016)

The many voices of Martha Wainwright.

There's a genre beyond any other; the singer-songwriter, associated with an acoustic guitar in the background. Fascinatingly, this album was contributed to from authors, singers, and other members of the talented Wainwright-MacGarrigle family; because Martha approaches these songs in such a personal way.

Some songs don't need the greatest voice. They need the voice that understands. An example is Carole King. What she writes requires her own voice; her own experience of what the words should mean when expressed. King's voice is fine but it isn't Aretha, and an Aretha version of a King song would be great, but King's voice breaks when it should break, or it struggles in tune to the pain in the words. "Goodnight City" explores as many ways to sing a song as there are songs here. Martha's voice is beyond perfect but she doesn't rest on pitch perfect because that would dishonour the song. Some of these songs are about immediate family; "Franci" is sung to a daughter "wonderful, and wonder" and talks about how Martha didn't know her grandfather (Francis) and how her daughter didn't know Martha's mother (middle name Francis). That song is far from requiring a perfect tone, but how Martha stretches and pushes at her comfort zone is where the communicated emotion comes from.

As the album continues, that tone is further extended; although there are some remarkable modern standards contributed where Martha's voice returns to a 40's/50's purity in between the outrageous gamut of beautiful vocal colour. It isn't as if Martha wasn't experimenting and aggressively exploring her range on previous records, but this is a menagerie of strange songbirds to be caged. Tracks 8 to 11 on an album; branching out in every direction? I think that shows how many fingers are in the pie, with the singer responding to whoever holds the baton. Track 12 "Francis" is a very sweet show tune, which I have to include, because the whiplash from that which preceded it is remarkable.

Top tracks; Alexandria/ Take The Reins/Francis
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #304 on: December 01, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »
Roundup time
Best Albums

1. We Got It From Here...Thank You 4 Your Service- A Tribe Called Quest
2. Goodnight City- Martha Wainwright
3. Let Them Eat Chaos- Kate Tempest
4. Clear Shot- Toy
5. All Your Happy Life- The Wytches
6. Heads Up - Warpaint
7. Toy- Yello
8. The Way - The Buzzcocks
9. Head Carrier- The Pixies
10. Babes Never Die- Honeyblood
I used to encourage everyone I knew to make art; I don't do that so much anymore. - Banksy

Sam the Cinema Snob

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #305 on: December 01, 2016, 02:17:21 PM »
Nice #1. Was thinking about just making a top hip hop albums of 2016 list cuz that's mostly what I listen to when it comes to new stuff. Gonna wait for that J Cole, tho.

verbALs

• Godfather
  • Snort Life-DOR
« Reply #306 on: December 08, 2016, 01:03:36 AM »
Pixies Cardiff last night. Transcendent. Triumphant. Sold out. Loud. Very.

Played most of new album plus;

Bone Machine, Where is my mind, Cactus, Oh my golly, Caribou, I've been tired, Isla de ..., Debaser, Wave of Mutilation, Hey!, Monkey, Here Comes Your Man, Velouria, Blown Away, Havalima, UMass, Subbacultcha, Motorway to Roswell, Winterlong, Into the White (in a cloud of dry ice!)

Oh my golly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 12:50:36 PM by verbALs »

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #307 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:52 PM »
Nice #1. Was thinking about just making a top hip hop albums of 2016 list cuz that's mostly what I listen to when it comes to new stuff. Gonna wait for that J Cole, tho.

Um...Ab-Soul???

MattDrufke

« Reply #308 on: December 12, 2016, 08:49:55 AM »
I feel like it's 15 years ago, because 2 of my favorite albums this year were made by Weezer and Taking Back Sunday.
@ihatemattdrufke

karlwinslow

• Elite Member
« Reply #309 on: December 16, 2016, 01:10:21 PM »
I love everything about this...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Aud86OSqQ1w

love