Author Topic: General Music talk  (Read 83549 times)

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
  • I am trying to impress myself. I have yet to do it
    • Processed Grass
Re: General Music talk
« Reply #640 on: October 19, 2020, 07:19:09 PM »
Kanye is bad now.

Is Kanye bad now? "Nah Nah Nah"

I feel like this new Jimmy B EP is a lot closer to his earlier work than anything he's done in a while. Was there a New Music FLYday this week, one expects that we would have had one point where the phrase "the Prince Of Dubstep had now become the King Of Dubstep" may have even been used. While the last few full projects have placed a lot more emphasis on Blake as a singer songwriter and vocalist, this pretty much starts out harkening back to the sound of the self titled debut, and, of perhaps even more interest to me, "CMYK", so it'll be interesting to see if this has him treating it like a detour or if his sound begins developing further in these directions where it feels like a hybrid of his older and newer works.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #641 on: October 23, 2020, 07:17:56 AM »
New tMG today!!!

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #642 on: October 23, 2020, 04:30:24 PM »
tMG is very good, even if it feels more like a collection of songs after an initial listen than a lot of their other records; however, despite another New Music FLYday absence, there will be an etdoesgood should listen to this award winner this week, and that comes in the form of clipping.'s Visions Of Bodies Being Burned. Make sure to bring headphones or whatever, because this sucker does things with the instrumentals that FLY CINECAST! with heavy.

In other news, Trippie Redd released likely the best project of his career in Spooky Sounds, which is, as the title implies, literally just a few shortish loops of spooky sounds, and also well worth a listen.

The other big release is the full Song Machine or whatever it's called from Gorillaz. Also very good, a ton of great features, happy I didn't listen to too many of the singles leading up to it, and the JPEGMAFIA feature on there is the best one.

Didn't listen to the Ty Dolla $ign album, just the song that featured Kanye and Anderson .paak, but Ye is just mixed in to the chorus, so FLY don't fw that one.

New song featuring Guapdad 4000 as well that I'm blanking on the title of, but it's worth it for the Guapdad 4000 verse and not much else.

Kind of a mini-NMFLYday. Everyone should listen to clipping., and I guess there's probably some broader appeal since, in general, most people around here probably enjoy the work of Daveed Diggs much more than FLY does.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #643 on: October 23, 2020, 11:56:07 PM »
Heyyyyyy....I do have to check out that new Mountain Goats.

Will say...

Now that I've given the new Fleet Foxes album Shore a closer look, I'm in love. Bout to shoot up my charts. Can I Believe You is some transcendent indie rock glory material, one of the best songs of the year. Wish I could hear it live!

The new Sufjan is crazy long, but I like what I've heard so far.
A witty saying proves nothing. - Voltaire

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #644 on: October 24, 2020, 12:23:17 AM »
Anyone into Green Day, btw? I'm pumping American Idiot - the whole album, not just the track - and I'm starting to wonder what I'm missing after I shunned them during my high school years when Dookie was hittin'. (I couldn't be bothered with "white music" back then, despite being white, don't ask me to explain, these are identity questions I've more or less figured out now, which contain much cringe upon remembrance).

Anyway, I've heard Dookie and American Idiot, and besides that I haven't heard another full Green Day album. Any suggestions? Any fans here?

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #645 on: October 24, 2020, 08:02:35 AM »
FLY is more of a Weezer guy. Wish I bought Green Day Rock Band to give me a better feel for them, even The Beatles Rock Band made their music largely more enjoyable than just listening. Dookie I liked, AI not so much.

Finding myself more taken with the new tMG as well, more immediately than In League With Dragons than I am/was at first, and probs more than Goths (though that did grow on me quickly), so I’m excited to listen more. After a lengthy usps delay, my vinyl of it should arrive today as well, not that I’ve got a player for it.

Again, FLY would highly recommend this clipping. album. Haven’t really gone back to the Fleet Foxes, but perhaps I shall.

Eric/E.T.

• Elite Member
« Reply #646 on: October 24, 2020, 11:29:39 AM »
Again, FLY would highly recommend this clipping. album.

Just listened to Make Them Dead. Awesome. This reminds me a bit of Shabazz Palaces, and they're one of my favorite hip-hop groups. This is obviously more overtly political, though. Nothing wrong with that!

Bondo

• Objectively Awesome
« Reply #647 on: October 24, 2020, 11:45:28 AM »
Dookie and American Idiot are of course great. I'd say 20th Century Breakdown is also quite good. I saw them live during the tour for that one. Outside those three I find Green Day extremely variable. Especially the earlier stuff there are usually 2-3 great songs but their post-20th Century work has completely slid off me when I've tried it.

Re clipping. I haven't done too much with their stuff but listened to The Deep and read the book adapted from it. Interesting concept.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #648 on: October 24, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
After 2.5 listens I think "'96 Neve Campbell" is my favorite song, but there are probs others I need to listen to more. Diggs as a rapper has a flow/style that I just don't click with very much (especially in Hamilton and Blindspotting) where it feels like he's just technical, precise, and fast, which has an appeal, but feels in your face heady to me, though on what other clipping. works I've listened to before (mostly just singles, think I tried a project a few years ago that I didn't take to much), but especially here, I think it works remarkably well with the production, which is CINECAST!ing nuts.

FLYmeatwad

• An Acronym
  • Objectively Awesome
    • Processed Grass
« Reply #649 on: October 30, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »
Def no nmf this weekend between work and fitting in as many films as I can (so sorry, Wiseman, but I will drop the $12 in a week for Virtual Theatre), but here’s what seems of note:

New Trippie Redd is too long for me to want to finish, killer song with the Slime God though, long live Thugger.

MadeInTYO project way more fun than I expected, will listen again.

In the middle of the new Atmosphere, which seems very solid, strange beats in a good way.

Lil Dirk song with Thug and 6LACK got added to my playlist

Won’t listen to new Busta Rhymes, but will check out the song with Kendrick, I guess.

New Elvis Costello album is one I may or may not get to, but is likely of interest to some subscribers to the New Music FLYday newsletter.

FLY isn’t going to listen to the Ariana Grande either, probs.

love